Transportation from Victoria to Vancouver

flip

I originally posted this on the Pacific Northwest forum, but not much activity there.

Would appreciate opinions from the locals or anyone with knowledge of the transportation from Victoria to Vancouver. We will be on the Carnival Spirit from Hawaii to Vancouver in May. We plan to take the bus/ferry from the pier to Victoria and spend a couple of days there. We plan to return via bus/ferry to the Vancouver airport where we will pick up a rental car and drive to Seattle. Getting to Victoria is not the issue, returning from Victoria is. Does this sound feasable? Is taking the bus to the Vancouver airport a good idea? Does anyone know if they will drop you at the car rental lot? I looked at several options, but this seemed the best. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate them. Thanks

Ginger

Did you know that there is a ferry from Victoria to Seattle? Seems more cost and time effective to me. I took this ferry (Seattle to Victoria and it was OK. I would compare it to a train ride in coach... better than a bus but definitely not a cruise ship experience).

http://www.victoriaclipper.com/victoria_clipper_ferry_service

Also, I think transborder car rentals are quite expensive, aren't they?

Sorry, I don't have the answers to your specific questions.

Thank you both for the suggestion. I had actually looked into the ferry idea, but could not find where it sailed from Victoria to the pier in Seattle. Long story, but this is under consideration. I actually have a really good car rental rate through Alamo, $120.00 from Vancouver to Seattle. Do you know if there are taxi's available at the pier in Seattle or do you have to search around for a place to call one? Would need one to get to our hotel.

Ginger

I don't remember a taxi line near the Victoria Clipper dock but I'm quite sure there were some pay phones into their building, it wouldn't be a problem I think. In Victoria, the ferry docks in the touristic area of Victoria, not far from the parliement, a marina and some hotels. My hotel was just a 2 minutes walk from the pier, i didn't need a taxi cab (but I was travelling light for this backpack trip I had only 1 backpack + 1 carry-on, it's probably not the case when you come back from a cruise).

Taking the bus and ferry from Vancouver Island to Vancouver is at the very least 1 hour (I think it's even more 1.5hr), and then you have to drive to Seattle. The ferry takes less than 3 hours.

Ferry's From Victoria...

Clipper..goes directly to dock in Seattle and Taxis are there,

BlackBall: Car ferry goes to Port Angles in Wa . Leaves from same place in Victoria as Clipper.

To Vancouver: 20 min drive to Swartz Bay almost 2 hr ferry ride to Tsawwassen 30-60 min drive to Canada Place depending on traffic.

hope that helps

Archived