WWYD - passpoert renewal

PattyW

Our May, 2007 cruise disembarks in Vancouver and since we are flying home, I have to get my son his first passport.

My daughter's passport is valid until June, 2008, but her picture is from when she was 6 months old (she's now 4).

Part of me says I should just renew hers when I get my son's first passport because then they will be on the same schedule for renewal, but then I think - hey, if it's still good, it's still good.

WWYD? Do you think I will get any grief for the picture looking absolutely nothing like her? I mean that bald little thing in the passport could be anyone. . .

JMO I would get them both done for the convenience to have them on the same schedule and not be running to have pictures and to the PO every couple of years, much easier to go once and get them all done.

Your daughter would need 6 months left on hers to go anywhere next year as most places require it to be valid for 6 months past your trip so if a deal came along you would have to rush to get her one:D :eek:

Part of me says I should just renew hers when I get my son's first passport because then they will be on the same schedule for renewal, but then I think - hey, if it's still good, it's still good.

Another vote for renewing both kids' passports at the same time.

Something else to consider - when we visited the PO to renew passports for our kids a couple of weeks ago, the person who was helping us said that she heard that the pricing for passports will probably go up soon - and the rumor she heard is that the prices may DOUBLE. So, I visited the state.travel.gov site and saw that the current fee schedule was effective as of March 2005. My expectation is that the fees may change at the 2-year mark which would make it March 2007? Anyway, it may cost you a lot more to renew your daughter's passport if you wait until later in 2007 or 2008.

I have see rumors of an increase on these boards but nothing to back it up just yet. I am sure it could happen. I just havent seen anything on this yet. Prices just went up recently and I doubt they would go up again so quick. Something to consider is this, how old with you DD be in 2008 when the passport expires. If she will be 6, you might want to wait til then. This way you get one at 6, 11 and then 16. The one at 16 is then good for 10 years. If you get one at 5 and 10, you would have to get one at 15 and that one would only be good 5 years instead of 10. Just a thought.

Archived