Handy Idea when needing a passport on shore

newbie2468

I figured out (probably someone has beat me to this, but I would like to think I "discovered " it).. how to carry a copy of your passport when going ashore.

I copied and reduced the original (using matte photo paper--and a good copier) by 60%. I have a laminating machine .. I purchased slotted ID pouches. Folding the reduced copy in half, I put them in the ID pouch and run it through the laminator. Voile' it makes an id "badge" that can hook on with the sail card on the lanyard..

I know that others have thought of this, but with the ice storm we are having in Texas and being home all day (having too much time on my hands) I thought this might work..

Does anyone else have a better idea?:D

I figured out (probably someone has beat me to this, but I would like to think I "discovered " it).. how to carry a copy of your passport when going ashore.

I copied and reduced the original (using matte photo paper--and a good copier) by 60%. I have a laminating machine .. I purchased slotted ID pouches. Folding the reduced copy in half, I put them in the ID pouch and run it through the laminator. Voile' it makes an id "badge" that can hook on with the sail card on the lanyard..

I know that others have thought of this, but with the ice storm we are having in Texas and being home all day (having too much time on my hands) I thought this might work..

Yep, carry your original passport in a water proof wallet. Although I do like your idea but as a back up plan.

dforeigner... where do you get a waterproof wallet?

Do you have to carry the original on the southern Caribbean route? Barbados,St. Lucia,Antigua,St. Martin,St. Thomas? Or is it sufficient to carry a copy? I guess I am paranoid about having the original lost,etc.

Bubbadog, it looks like a ID holder ...You put the copy that you took.. run it through the laminator and it is sealed on all ends. You can go on the internet.. search laminating pouches and see all kinds and sizes.

I take my passport, scan and copy it. Same thing with my wife's. Reduce them to credit card size, place them back to back and laminate them. We both carry them and have double coverage.

Marypoppinz...you are too funny...

Spender nui... that is a good idea to put them back to back. I was putting the top part of the passport (the one with signature) on the back.. guess you don't need that if your picture is on the other side :D

I like that idea.. thanks

dforeigner... where do you get a waterproof wallet?

Do you have to carry the original on the southern Caribbean route? Barbados,St. Lucia,Antigua,St. Martin,St. Thomas? Or is it sufficient to carry a copy? I guess I am paranoid about having the original lost,etc.

Bubbadog, it looks like a ID holder ...You put the copy that you took.. run it through the laminator and it is sealed on all ends. You can go on the internet.. search laminating pouches and see all kinds and sizes.

The only thing a copy is good for is to facilitate the entrance to a US consulate when you loose your original. A copy of a passport does not weigh in as anyone could falsify the copy to gain entrance back to the US and the Airlines will not accept it. A real passport has security features only visible during a certain type of scan. Am I concerned about loosing the original passport? You bet I am, this is why I carry my old expired/canceled passport as well. Now, in reference to the water proof wallet. Here are some links:

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#600X0

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/?gclid=CMuw0NrxpYcCFRt7UAod3zRY-Q

http://dryboxes.safeshopper.com/1/cat1.htm

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=water+proof+wallets

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

I carry a photocopy of the original and keep the original in the Cabin Safe.

People have boarded the ship at the US port with a copy. Have not had any issue. Maybe would adjust/reverse this if travel was to Europe, Baltics or the Med??

dforeigner,

Thanks for the links...I can't find any information as to whether or not I have to carry a passport with me on the islands where we are docking. I am thinking that they will tell me on the ship.

It is not a matter of whether you must carry one or not. One is responsible for their own actions and consequences therefore. I am not familiar with the Immigration laws for the Countries found in the Caribbean. Here is a scenario. You miss the ship and and you want to catch it at the next port of call. All you have in your pocket is a copy of a passport. The American passport is the most counterfeited of all the passports in the world. For the most part, an airline is not going to let you board a plane just with a copy of a passport. Here is a different scenario. There is some type of an emergency and you have to return to the US. Your things are still on board the ship. All you have with you is a credit card and a copy of your passport. For sake of argument, the airline decides that they kind of believe that the copy of the passport is legit but still cannot or will not allow you to board the plane without first making the proper verifications. It is 6PM and most consulates are closed. The airline contacts CBP back at the airport where the airline is going to land and requests verification that you will not be denied entry into the US (remember that if entry into the US is denied, the airline has to fly you back at their expense and could received a fine). By the time everything is said and done, you missed the flight and now have to spend an extra day on an island with no change of clothes.

The bottom line is to play it safe and follow the first rule of combat (it is a figure of speech). "Do shall never assume." By this I mean don't think that nothing will happen. Believe me, it has happened to other people. I read horror stories of people stranded in Europe unable to board a plane because they do not have a Passport with them. Yes, in some cruises, the ship will keep your passport but only for Immigration inspection purposes upon arrival at the port. They cannot refuse to give you back your Passport upon your request once the ship has been cleared by Immigration officials. A passport is just an ID that proves that you are a citizen of a certain country. That is all. When required, a visa grants you permission to request entry into the country from where the visa is from. I hope this makes sense. If not I will attempt again in the morning as my eyes are telling me that it is time to go supine.

THe major reason to carry your passport with you ashore is if a) you need to identify yourself to local authorities or b) you miss the ship's sailing and need to fly out of that country. In neither instance is a copy of your passport worth anything.

As someone else said, the only thing a copy is good for is to tell the local US consulate the info to help you get a replacement when you lose the original.

Carry the original and keep a copy in your cabin safe.

dforeigner,

Thanks for the links...I can't find any information as to whether or not I have to carry a passport with me on the islands where we are docking. I am thinking that they will tell me on the ship.

You asked about whether there is a law on the Islands about the need to carry your passport with you or leave it at the ship. Again, I am not familiar with the Immigration laws of those countries. But I do know that in the United States, all foreign aliens (both immigrants and non-immigrants) are required by Federal Law to carry their Immigration papers with them at all times. "Failure to carry" may result in a fine and jail time.

Again, one is responsible for their own actions and the consequences as a result of those actions taken.

The US passport is most coveted. So how is it a good idea to carry it onto a beach when it might be stolen ?

That's why you put it in a waterproof case. You can take it into the water with you (you'll look like a dork, but your passport will be safe, and I think that's more important). I would never leave my passport unattended, any more than I would leave my wallet or Seapass for that matter.

I am traveling with three minors so managing passports for everyone is not as easy as it sounds. The chance of a mishap is not so small. My father once had everything pickpocketed from him. So I have had that sorry experience.

I also go scuba diving and a lot of the catamaran type excursions. I really do not see teenage girls sporting their passports over their bikinis. I do have a waterproof wallet and have used one. I agree that they are great.

Having a copy of a passport does give you the number, date of issue and other information which would facilitate a recovery.

I will continue to take the risk of being stuck on a Cariibean island while it all gets sorted out. Its not a disaster, but it is an inconvience. The steward can open the safe, get the passports or a family member could do the same and get them back.

I am not advocating that it is a good idea to be on an island without a passport, but I think my odds of missing the ship are close to nil, compared to the odds that one of the kids will loose it or have it taken from them.

When we stopped in St Thomas and St. Maartin this year (2007) to get off the ship, they accepted our picture driver's license. We each carried our ship card, credit card and a photo license and had no problems. This would not work for a plane but grat for the island.

Hi Folks,

Having visited a few places, around the world I for one never take my passport ashore.

I do keep coppies of it so if lost I can get replacement docs a bit sooner.,

For ID I use driving licence or other goverment issue stuff that shows where I am from, with pic etc.

Its just that in some places, if they knew you had a passport on you, they would try and get it from you. and they might not say please.

yours Shogun

Hi Folks,

Having visited a few places, around the world I for one never take my passport ashore.

I do keep coppies of it so if lost I can get replacement docs a bit sooner.,

For ID I use driving licence or other goverment issue stuff that shows where I am from, with pic etc.

Its just that in some places, if they knew you had a passport on you, they would try and get it from you. and they might not say please.

yours Shogun

I'm falling off my chair laughing at someone flashing their Arkansas driver's license at the police station in downtown Dubrovnic as an "official government ID". It's as funny a picture as someone waving their Croatian driver's license in the Little Rock lockup as proof of their identity....

Well, most of the posters on this board are not going to Dubrovnic.... Be real.

How often do citizens loose their passports every day around the world ! The state department must deal with hundreds of cases a day.

Unless you have drugs in your possesion or are involved in illegal activites, it will be resolved. How much time will vary with the circumstance, I don't think that the govenment in Bonaire is going to go into high alert mode if we cannot provide our passports on the spot. They spend most of their time getting us to visit and creating good PR.

Once they run the names and passport numbers though the computers they will have the whole story/criminal history on the wayward cruise passengers. I think that it takes a lot of self importance to think that Interpol is going to step in. Thats really funny.

Archived