Civitavecchia Question

We will be there in Oct. Going to get on the Liberty (Carnival-Transatlantic). Would like to know also about good places to

eat and pick up some wine before our cruise starts back to the States. Thanks. John F

Quite frankly, I didn't see much of anything to do there. We left the ship to go to a supermarket for some pre cruise provisions (wine/water etc) and the round trip cab ride turned into $44 euro, and we never lost sight of the ship!

I actually think you would find more to do, or as much to do by the airport which is halfway between Rome and Citivecchio.

I did hear that there is a good co op wine store somewhere in the area. A co op we found in Venice was really neat in that you bought the wine out of big jugs, maybe 20 gallons each, and they put it into recycled plastic bottles. I am thinking Co op wine is a blend of grapes from a bunch of smaller regional farmers.

Now it is not for the discerning wine connosuer, but I enjoyed it whole heartedly.

Can anyone tell us if there is any good restaurants or pizzerias as well as a wine shop? We would like to walk around and see the town before we depart on the Royal Princess in September.

Tom

We found an excellent little pizzerioa but I don't remember its name. If you walk around about 5:30 it seemed to be the only place open; there was always a children'ss party there.It is located on a corner and there was a beer sign hanging over the door. The pizza was unique; they sell by weight and cut your portion and serve it on a paper covering your table.

• 2 weeks later...
is there anything to do, if you just want to wander around? or is it too spread out?

There are a number of sights in proximity of the port entrance. In addition to the link posted above, information in Italian can be found at http://www.civitavecchia.it/a-spasso/monumenti.asp .

An example of a walk trought the city center:

Right at the port entrance their is the Fort Michelangelo. Straight ahead you reach the Trajan theatre, toward the center there is the cathedrale, San Francisco. Small streets lead to the Pius VI chamber ovens, the tower and gate of the bow, the church fo prayer and death, the ancient hospital ... Reaching the waterfront there is another fortress and going back to the port entrance one passes the fountain of Bendedic XIV.

FBlack: I'm sorry, I just now saw your question. We're staying at the Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia. It has a couple of positive reviews on TripAdvisor from other cruisers. We were able to get a quad for 130 euros the night before embarkation.

• 3 weeks later...

The cruise dock area is very industrial and they will run a shuttle from your ship through the dock gates. The shuttle will off load beside the old fort which stands beside the gate. When you get off the shuttle turn right and walk along the water promenade. At the end of the promenade across the street is the train station to Rome. If you cross the street at the fort and walk toward the train station there are a number of small pizza/cafe places and one store to buy soft drinks, local wines, etc. The store is about half the distance to the train station. None of these distances are very far. Hope this helps.

The cruise dock area is very industrial and they will run a shuttle from your ship through the dock gates. The shuttle will off load beside the old fort which stands beside the gate. When you get off the shuttle turn right and walk along the water promenade. At the end of the promenade across the street is the train station to Rome. If you cross the street at the fort and walk toward the train station there are a number of small pizza/cafe places and one store to buy soft drinks, local wines, etc. The store is about half the distance to the train station. None of these distances are very far. Hope this helps.

I called HAL today and they told me that there would be no shuttle bus from the ship into Civitavescchia or even thorugh the area where the ship docks to the gate, so we might then be able to talk to the train station. HAL said their bus to Rome(Piazza Cavour)@ $78 per person was the onl shuttle they knew of. Please let us know how you can be sure there will be a shuttle. I think the shuttle, if any, and train will be faster(and cheaper)than the bus. Thanks.

We've been here many times on various cruise lines and have docked both at the usual pier near the fort and at the pier N of the city centre. There has always been a shuttle bus from ship to a drop off near the fort (only a short walk to the station) PROVIDED BY THE PORT - not the cruise line.

IMHO, you can't rely on asking the cruise line reps (either in land office or onboard for that matter) for info like this.

Many land based reps have never even been to the ports you're asking them about and therefore base answers on what they have been given for reference. Some cruise lines try to make it seem difficult or impossible for passengers to DIY so they can sell shorexes (not that I'm complaining - this helps to keep the costs of cruises down for those of us who DIY)

Some cruise lines don't have port lecturers whose job is to help you navigate the ports -> passengers seek info from shorex staff whose agenda is to make sales.

If your ship has done this itinerary previously, ask other crew (entertainment, waiters etc.) - they use the shuttle to get into town all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

We are taking the Celebrity galaxy Eastern Mediterrananean on May 21. It docks at Civitavecchio on June 1. Does anyone know of a shuttle we can take to the airport that costs less than what the ship charges which is $85 a person. OUch. We are 2 people. Thanks.

I do recommend going to train if you are able to navigate with your luggage in tow. It is very affordable ($12 last year). We arrived in Civitavecchia last May and indeed did experience some challenges getting to the train station. The shuttle which took us outside the industrial port was chaotic, but we finally got on board. while it is true that is is a very doable walk to the train station, most of it is up hill. Cabs were hard to find, but did exsist. I saw them, but never suceeded in getting one!

Since we were staying in Europe another 2 weeks and we had been on a 19 day cruise we each had 2 suitcases (25") and a 19". My husband is in late 60's with arthritis and the walk to the train station was not a quick one. BE SURE to pay attention to which track your train is departing from. Since this is a terminal station it could be either track and there is NO lift. You can avoid taking your luggage down and back up stairs by planning the train you take. Same when you get to Rome. Get your bearings while inside the terminal and make sure you exit on the side closest to your destination. Cabs are expensive in Rome and a cab driver told us he would have to charge us 20 Euros to take us 5 blocks. We went back into the station came out on the other side and it was an easy walk.

Hope some of that helps. Have a great time.

RocketCity

Thanks Rocket City for the info. My husband has arthritis too and he doesn't want to take the train. Oh well, i guess we will have to take the ship's transfers. I was thinking of trying to get a group together to take one of the tour companies mini-vans but i don't know how reliable they are. Has anyone taken one of these companies mini-vans and were they there to pick you up at the port on time? Thanks.

Archived