Pullman Beds on Norweigian

Rik2084

Has any one had any experience with Pullman beds on the Norweigian Dawn? I just need to know if there are are guards on them to prevent my daughters' (ages 7 and 11) from falling out. I figure that would put a damper on our vacation. This would be our third cruise on the Dawn but our first in an Occeanview cabin. We always had the pullout beds but the Pullmans are higher and a fall would hurt, I guess, but the kids are excited about sleeping up there.

Thanks,

Rick

Has any one had any experience with Pullman beds on the Norweigian Dawn? I just need to know if there are are guards on them to prevent my daughters' (ages 7 and 11) from falling out. I figure that would put a damper on our vacation. This would be our third cruise on the Dawn but our first in an Occeanview cabin. We always had the pullout beds but the Pullmans are higher and a fall would hurt, I guess, but the kids are excited about sleeping up there.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

We will be on the Dawn for the first time in August. We have been on the Spirit and the Majesty and there was a bar that did block the kids from falling off the bunk. The bar did not run the length of the bed though. My kids are 12 and 8 so they are about the same age. We did not have anyone fall off the bunk in 3 cruises!

One thing that I should mention about the newer NCL ships, Dawn included, there are no cabins for 4 with 2 upper beds and 2 lower. You probably know this already since you have been on the Dawn. The cabins are 3 lower beds and 1 upper. The Majesty had 2 upper and 2 lower which we liked better...much more floor space for us. The three lower beds and one upper took a while for us to get used to on the Spirit.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. It's going to be a tight fit but hopefully we won't be spending a lot of time in the cabin (at least that's what I keep telling myself). I always assumed that the cabin would be two upper and two lower but when I look at the cabin picture on ncl.com I only see one upper bunk. Do they bring in a third bed to fit between the two lower ones? That would make it really tight (especially with all the luggage my wife and girls bring!). I think I'm really going to miss my balcony room :(

Rick

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick:

When we were on the Spirit last summer, there was a trundle bed under one of the beds that pulled out. Our 8 year old daughter slept on it. It made for wall to wall beds and the upper. Absolutely no floor space was left when the bed is out. There was also a pull out bed that came out of the chair. It had the thinnest mattress and I cannot imagine anyone sleeping on it. The trundle had a good mattress. We were in an inside cabin but we also looked at the outside quad cabins and they were all the same. You may get a bit more space in the outside.

Our TA told us that it was the same way on the Dawn. We looked at lots of cabins on line to be sure and all are 3 lower and 1 upper. If you use the search function on these boards, look up quad cabin pictures and search the NCL board, you may get some pictures of what the cabins look like with the 3 lower and 1 upper. There is a guy named shoreguy that posts great info and always has pictures of what people are looking for. I think that he may have posted a picture or 2 within the past few months.

We still had a great cruise. We loved the Spirit, it was wonderful. Did not like the cabin however.

This year we were looking at connecting staterooms. The Spirit only offers connecting balcony rooms (full price for us and the kids...no 3/4 rates) and they do not have suites for 4. So, we are booked in an AB Suite (fits up to 5, 2 bedrooms) this year on the Dawn. It was cheaper than paying for the connecting rooms and we get much more space and the perks seem great!

I am sure you will have a great cruise. If you go with the attitude that it will be tight and you all will make the best of it, you will have a blast!

NCL Dawn upper bunk didn't appear safe to us despite bar, so we used the trundle bed..wall to wall bed...ala Austin Powers ;)

Worked quite well for us with dd (4). Asked steward for 2 extra pillows to keep tossing and turning daughter in her own bed. And left us uninterrupted sleep.

We also cruised on the NCL Spirit last spring. We had an outside cabin and a balcony cabin. The balcony cabins are smaller, so if you are going to have more than 2 people, I would suggest not getting a balcony. It had 2 beds made into 1 and a loveseat that folded out into a bed. The outside cabin had 2 lower beds and one fold-down, and a chair that folded out into a bed. I didn't check to see if there was a trundle. The fold-down bed had a decent-sized railing, but I had to sleep there since both my kiddos (7 and 11 too) are terrified of heights. They have slept on the upper ones before, though, with no problems.

Archived