Kids and Passports?

raina*faith

http://http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20070117/ap_tr_ge/passports_air_travel

follow this link, pass ports are recommended in most cases, caribean cruises, not needed but flying in or out of the us they are needed.

i bought my 2 kids teirs just for the ease of traveling on the cuises and to canada. i hope the link helps

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I always say get it from the horses month!

Ginny

hope this helps

we are new to this also.

Oh and I did not read and know that they keep your birth certificate that day and send back with your passport so do not freak out like i did:eek:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I always say get it from the horses month!

Ginny

hope this helps

we are new to this also.

Oh and I did not read and know that they keep your birth certificate that day and send back with your passport so do not freak out like i did:eek:

I was about to suggest you go to the official website.

One important thing to know is that both parents need to go in person with the child to the passport office. Many post offices will take your application...this info will be on the above link. Be sure to allow a few months as this will save you the expedition fee. Passports for children under a certain age are good for five years.

I would suggest asking your Auto Club office or checking with a local drug store or Walmart to see if they take the photos as this will be cheaper than having the post office clerk take them (about half the cost).

I would suggest asking your Auto Club office or checking with a local drug store or Walmart to see if they take the photos as this will be cheaper than having the post office clerk take them (about half the cost).

You can get passport photos at Office Depot for $7.50. Also, we have gotten them at the Target portrait studio. That was 10 years ago, and I don't remember/know the price.

Oh, we went to walmart to get the baby's pic taken, and they couldn't do it--could not get close enough to fill the frame properly and focus at the same time... they said, "You have to go to the passport office to get it done".

Passport office said, "We don't do babies. You have to go to Evergreen to get that done."

I said, "No I don't. Try.'

They got it right on the first shot.

And did you see how much they cost. :eek: That was the biggest shock to me.

(16 years & older)

Passport Fee/Security Fees $67.00 (made payable to U.S. Department of State)

Execution Fee $30.00 (made payable to City Treasurer)

TOTAL - $97.00

Child (15 years & younger)

Passport Fee/Security Fees $52.00 (made payable to U.S. Department of State)

Execution Fee $30.00 (made payable to City Treasurer)

TOTAL - $82.00

AND you have to pay the post office $12 each for a photo. So if you are like me and have a family of 4 with 2 kids under 15, our total is going to be $406 to get passports.

• 5 weeks later...

If you have a digital camera and photo software that will allow you to crop a picture to a certain size (in this case 2 x 2) you can take your own passport pics and print them yourself.

I did the photos for our passports and they were fine. This instructions are at the passpoort website.

I am pretty sure you can take the photos on your digital camera and take them to one of those print it yourself machines and do passport photos that way.

If you are looking at $12 per person x 4 people for photos .... this could probably save $40-$45.

My wife and I are taking our 11 & 13 yr old daughters next week (Feb. 26) on the Carnival Imagination. We were scheduled to be on the Fantasy on February 10th, but that was cancelled due to the ship being hit. I called Carnival directly for an answer in regards to them needing a passport before the trip on the Fantasy. (My wife and I have one) According to Carnival, they will not need one to cruise, leaving from an American port. Air travel has different rules, which may cause the confusion. We needed to have a certified copy of their birth certificate to get on the ship. At the ports, they only need the sail & sign card to re board the ship. The person at Carnival did say that these requirements may change, but that is what it is now. We did go through security procedures boarding the Fantasy and had no issues.

I believe the requirements for children 16+ are different, but just wanted to share my expierence with our current family situation. Hope it helps....

Personally I would get a passport. What if by chance someone in your party gets sick and ends up in the hospital and needs to fly home? Then what? It would be hard to enter the US without a valid passport. It could happen that the cruise could be cut short for some other reason too. I wouldn't want to chance it.

Stephanie

We just got back, and while we had passports and permission to travel documents for all minors, it turned out that Celebrity's rules about parents traveling with a minor are a little different from the air travel rules. While air travel requires that if a parent is traveling with a minor without the other parent, they must have a permission from the other parent, notarized, to take the child out of the country, the cruise ship really couldn't care less--they just required that one parent be with the child. This may vary from agent to agent, I'm guessing....

Archived