Cheap Drinks??in Caymans????

hockeypapa

:cool: DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A SPOT OR BAR IN THE CAYMANS THAT HAVE REASONABLE PRICES FOR A DRINK? IN DEC. WE WERE AT RUM POINT AND THEY CHARGED $2O.50 FOR TWO DRINKS IN A PLASTIC GLASS ABOUT 8OZ!!! TO ME THIS IS GOUGING I DONT WANT TO HEAR THEY IMPORT THINGS BECAUSE COZUMEL COSTA MAYA CANCUN ECT. ALL HAVE GOOD PRICES. I THINK IF WORD GETS OUT ABOUT THIS PLACE THEY WILL EITHER LOWER PRICES OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS. PS THE TWO DRINKS WERE NOT STRONG OR THAT GOOD:eek:

Sorry again. Cheap alcohol in Cayman is almost a contradiction in terms.

Locals bars charge US$3.75 MINIMUM for a beer, with US$5 not uncommon. Mixed drinks are more. A basic rum and coke goes for about US$6.25. Blender drinks with more alcohol go for US$8.75 and up.

Not surprisingly, bars on beaches or with prime tourist locations (where they pay higher rents) charge more. Many restaurants and bars automatically add in a 15% service charge as well.

One retail liquor store with VERY competitive prices (all listed in CI$ so multiply by 1.25 for US$) is the Thirsty Surfer. A case of Bud Lite costs US$44.94 that's US$1.87 per can and more than 3 times the price of the same can on sale at Publix in Miami this week.

A 750ml of Bacardi Light rum costs US$25.31. But buy it duty free and it's about US$9 for the same bottle.

It's the import duty. It's taxes, not price gouging. Bar drinks will be similarly more expensive.

For perhaps the most reasonable of the places with a water view, try My Bar at the Sunset House hotel. No beach.

Grand Cayman isn't going anywhere. It's expensive, but it's worth it, IMO. It's total paradise. It's a safe island...one that you can drive around and explore. You can't do that safely on many other islands. Grand Cayman is a world apart from anywhere in Mexico. We liked Mexico, but you can't really compare the two.

I suppose that if you go in knowing that's it's going to be expensive...then you can just budget your day accordingly. :)

We were there for a week, and I can tell you that the prices varied little by location. It's expensive...but we also knew that prior to arriving.

Whatever you end up doing...have a good time. :)

Archived