Visiting Orlando while you are pregnant for pre-cruise

Hi everyone,

My wife is pregnant and she’s going to be in her 20th weeks of pregnancy during our cruise on the Mariner of the Seas on October 24th, 2004 leaving from Port Canaveral, FL. Our original plan was to fly to Orlando 3 days before the cruise and visit Disney Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. That plan was made before she is pregnant. But now she is pregnant and we were wondering if it is worthwhile to visit Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom because they have many rides there and it would not be safe for pregnant women.

If anyone has been pregnant and visits Orlando, is it worthwhile to visit those parks? What are other things safe to do in Orlando for pregnant women?

Our other alternatives is to fly to Orlando, rent a car and drive directly to Cocoa Beach stays there for nice rest relaxation for a couple of days before the cruise.

What are your recommendations on things to do pre-cruise and during the cruise if you are pregnant?

These are the port of calls for our cruise:

Labadee

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

George Town, Grand Cayman

Cozumel, Mexico

This is going to be our first baby and we are new at this. Any advice or recommendation on traveling and cruising while you are pregnant is greatly appreciated it.

Thank you in advance,

Jack

Join our Mariner of the Seas 10/24/2004 roll calls at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44854

Hi Jack,

There are many things for a pregnant person to do at Disney. Your wife will not be able to do rides such as Space Mountain, and some of the other thrill rides. But, there is so much to do and see that you won't even miss those. Many of the attractions are like people movers and there are shows that are just fantastic.

Plus, you can scope out Disney World for future "family" vacations.

My advise though is to take it easy and drink plenty of water. Also, if you can, stay at Disney for ease of getting around. In the afternoon, you can easily come back and get an afternoon nap.

So, go and enjoy!

Leigh

I live in the greater Orlando area and worked at Disney when I was much younger. Yes, there are many rides that your wife should not do because she is pregnant, but there are also many rides that she will be able to do. My greater worrry would be the excessive heat and humidity that this part of the world is noted for. By October, it will be better by local standards, but still impressive especially to folks coming out of the northern states. I always bring very cold (or frozen) water bottles with me when visiting the house of mouse.

MGM is the smallest of the parks and is doable in one day. IMHO Animal Kingdom isn't worth it. Busch Gardens in Tampa has much better animal exhibits PLUS great roller coasters. You might want to do that one in a few years. The Magic Kingdom is classic and most of the rides would be safe. My favorite of the parks is EPCOT. There are still a few thrill rides that she should not do. It is sort of like a world's fair. The multi day passports are the best value. (The smallest number of multi days the last time I checked was three.) That kind of ticket is good forever. Disney prices only go up and up. Also there is a kind of multi day ticket that lets you go from park to park. They are more expensive this way, but if you can only do the gentle rides, it may well be worth it to be able to visit and just pick out what you want to do and then move on. Disney in October is off season and will close early in the evening.

Magic Kingdom is delightful,and there is alot your wife would be able to enjoy even if she can't do the thriller rides. It's a must-do.

Epcot is also very enjoyable,alot to see. Lots of nice restaurants in the world showcase section. You could literally eat and drink your way around the world there. Its alot of walking,so take periodic breaks.

I ahven't been to Sea World in a few years but that might be another good possibility as there are shows you can sit for awhile.

Wouldn't recommend MGM or Universal as much as the others as there are alot of thriller and simulator rides there.

As others have said,don't overdo it. Shorten your day touring or take a midday break.

My first cruise was when pregnant,I think about 6 months. I had a great time. But I had to slow the pace down. Just couldn't do all the walking we usually do when travelling. Even shopping in the towns i had to rest periodically. Other than that it was great. So try to plan your days/excursions around more relaxing activities i.e.a carriage ride,relaxing at a beach,etc. And of course be mindful of the sun and heat-you feel it more when pregnant.

Have a great time.

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for all your feedbacks, advises and comments. My wife and I we got concern about being careful on what she’s eat while she’s pregnant.

We heard a lot of controversial issues on MSG (Monosodium Glutamate), which is use on many Asian foods and non-Asian foods. The MSG may have an affect on the nervous system of a developing fetus. Besides MSG in Asian food, we also found out that MSG also exist in food such as Campbell soup, Adam’s spices, Adams steak flavoring, frozen Salisbury steak, frozen chicken (bought from Kroger), some potato chips. MSG exist in all soups and broths both Asian and non-Asian. If you look closely, MSG is all around us.

Our doctor also cautions us of certain fish such as Shark, Swordfish, mackerel, tilefish that contains methyl mercury, which is bad for the fetus. What about other seafood such as lobster, shrimps, tuna, salmon etc….

A cruise ship is fill with good food all day and nights and if you are pregnant you have to be extra careful on what you eat.

Base on your previous experiences when you were pregnant, do you be careful and avoid certain food both at home and when you traveling/cruising?

Thank you,

Jack

Wow, I didn't know all that information about MSG. That is definitely eye opening.

I think some of the fish you mentioned might have a high mercury content. I know when I was pregnant, I avoided tuna. I pretty much ate anything else.

As far as theme parks, everyone's recommendations, I think are good. The only thing I would like to point out is while it would be nice to do any of those parks before; would your wife like to relax before a cruise (that will be filled with alot of activity)?

I think you have to do what's best for all; whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time.

Michele

I went to the Magic Kingdom while I was 4 1/2 months pregnant in the middle of June. It was fine. I had a 3 year old and I was so excited seeing her reaction to everything that I guess the heat etc. did not bother me. There are plenty of rides and shows to see. You can also go online to Disney and look at each ride and the recommendations for height requirements, pregnancy etc. You will have a great time. I am a huge Disney fan! Use the Fast Pass when you can.

Meredith

I went to Disney when I was 5 mos. pregnant (in July), and it was a blast. I had to be in a wheelchair because of another health issue not related to the pregnancy. The pregnancy was considered high risk for probable complications at delivery, but I talked to my doctor who readily gave his approval for the trip. I could do most things except the big thrill rides and water slides at the water parks. There's so much more at Disney than thrill rides, though. An excellent resourse online is: http://allearsnet.com/pl/pregnant.htmce. Here's an excerpt from it:

"Rides that Disney suggests expecting mothers should skip: (Please check your guidemap for the complete list of ride restrictions) - Magic Kingdom: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Goofy's Barnstormer, Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - Epcot: Body Wars, Test Track - MGM: Tower of Terror, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Star Tours - Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris"

Hi everyone,

You are all very kind and helpful. All of your information are very valuable to us. This will help us plan on our upcoming vacation. Probably it's going to be our last vacation for a long time. We are going to enjoy it while we can. :)

Thank you everyone.

Jack

Just remeber to stay well hydrated that's so important. Even if you're not thirsty drink lots of water. There are so many things you can still do, afterall you'll be in the happiest place on earth! I bet you'll have a great time in Epcot especially. You can take your time waking around the different "countries" and really get to talk with some of the cast members. there are tons of shows always going on, just get there early so you can get a spot in the shade if it is an outdoor performance. As mentioned above take advantage of fastpass. If other members of your party want to go on some of the wilder rides talk to a cast member before going in the attraction and see if you can wait with your party and get the atmosphere of the ride while waiting. Sometimes that "pre show" stuff is so much fun. I know in most rides they will have a "chicken" escape route before you actually board the ride for frightened children (or adults). You could also go into an air conditioned shop or restaurant to wait for the rest of your group while they are riding. There is a great web site http://www.wdwig.com click on planning and then on the left scroll down to "for families" and there is a link for expectant mother tips. Have a great time, what a perfect way to extend your cruise vacation. Just remember to drink, drink, drink that water!

Jack,

How exciting!! I'll actually be 17-18 weeks when we cruise on Explorer 8/8 -- I can't wait!!

I agree with all of the other posters about the available activities at Disney. I also agree that there's probably more to do and see at Disney (especially Magic Kingdom and Epcot) than at Universal for a pregnant woman. The end of October is also a great time to visit there -- the crowds are much smaller and the weather is usually pretty nice (not like now when it's really hot). If you stay nearby, you can always return to the hotel for a nap in the mid-afternoon and then go out again in the evening for dinner/fireworks -- that way, your wife won't get too run-down.

In addition to Animal Kingdom, which if I recall correctly, has attractions that would be considered safe for a pregnant woman (I was there within the past 2 years), you could consider spending some time at Sea World, which is also located in Orlando. Although Sea World has some rides, that park is centered mainly around the animal attractions and shows, so that might be a good alternative.

Best of luck to you and congrats on the baby!!

Yes, definitely still go. There will be plenty to do & see - she'll hardly miss the few rides she can't go on. I went for a week when I was 6 months pregnant & had a blast (in May 2 yrs ago). Not sure where you're staying, but we got the small refrigerator for our room & brought some bottled water. I took some to every park w/ me - would even freeze them so they'd stay cold longer. Just remember not to overdue it - but if she's been active & the pregnancy is going well, she should be fine.

I asked again this time about the fish and was told that shellfish is ok - I'm 8 months pregnant now & really concerned about what I eat also!

I would stay away from Universal though - both of their parks seemed to have way too many rides I couldn't do, so we didn't bother going over there.

Thank you everyone for all your advices. You all know so much about this topic. :)

I'll make sure that my wife have plenty of water to drink.

Flaggirlcruise, congratulations on your upcoming baby.

Jack - You and Choi will thoroughly enjoy Disney, with a little pre planning. Rest often (in the shade), wear very comfortable shoes, drink lots of water, take naps as needed, and use common sense. And, I'm sure you would enjoy Epcot on Saturday - October 23rd- with some of your cruise mates. Many of us will be at Epcot on Saturday. During this time, Epcot will be hosting the International Food & Wine Festival, in the World ShowCase...it is a wonderful experience. There are few rides Choi couldn't ride and many that she could...like The Lands, The GE ride, and Imagination -> all of these are very gentle, slow moving rides which offer a nice break to the Florida heat. What a way to start off an incredible vacation!!! These are memories that will last a lifetime, enjoy!!

See you Soon!!:)

Hi Lorene,

Thank you for the recommendation. Choi and I we've been to Epcot in May of 2002. I don't mind going there again. I'll ask Choi if she want to go Epcot again for the International food & Wine festival. Of course Choi can't drink wine. She doesn't drink alcohol in the first place.

Is the food & wine included in the price of the admission of the park? My guess it is not.

By the way she's been wearing that Sea-Band for the motion sickness which you recommended. I think it helps her a little bit to overcome the nausea, but she still have some slightly urges of nausea.

Thanks

Jack

We've stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and really liked it. You are in the Downtown Disney area, and need to take busses (or your car) to the parks. If you are really intereseted in Epcot especially you may want to look into the Boardwalk and the Yacht and Beach club resorts. (They are more expensive though) They are within walking distance to Epcot, or you can take a little ferry boat over as well so your wife doesn't have to walk if she is tired). There is also a boat that will take you to MGM. Our friends have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and loved it. (It's in the Magic Kingdom area). Go to http://www.allearsnet.com and you can look at different resort photos, and get reviews there as well. If I'm not mistaken I think you will be there during the Epcot wine and food festival as well. You go to the different countries and for a few dollars you get sample sizes of food to try. It's a neat way to taste the different foods. I think there is info. on the web site I gave you about that as well. I am currently pregnant with twins and I am at 22 weeks right now, and if your wife is feelinghow I am now it will be a perfect time for her to go. The morning sickness is over (hopefully!) and you have a little more energy and you're not to uncomfortable yet. Tell her to also try in addition to the sea bands for nausea crystalized ginger or ginger tablets (have her double check with her Doc. first) and this is a weird one, but I found those atomic fireball candies helped too. Have her eat small meals frequently, and as weird as it sounds don't let her stomach get empty, that's when the nausea seemed to get bad for me! My doctor also said to try drinking lemonade this helps some women. Tell her that hopefully it will go away for her second trimester. Have a great time!

Hi jlx2,

Congratulations on your upcoming twin babies. Thank you for the resort information we’ll look into that web site and plan our stay. The crystallized ginger or ginger tablets, where did you purchase them? Are they available at Wal-mart or local grocery store? Are they candies?

I’ve been stocking up our house and have her brought to work a lot of snacks so she can eat in between meals. Snacks such as nutri-grain bar, cereal bar, cashews, peanut butter cookies, and yogurt. She also been drinking Ensure – High Protein (vanilla) and taking PreCare prenatal vitamins.

Thanks

Jack

I got the crystalized ginger in the supermarket (in the health food/organic section) it is almost like dried fruit, and you can get the tablets in the drug store. It sounds like you are taking good care of her with everything you are stocked with! One other silly thing that helped was my husband would rub my back, and that seemed to make me feel better as well. Congratulations again, and I hope she is feeling better soon. I realize it is hard on you as well!

I also been working out lifting weight to be prepare to carry all of our luggages when we are going on our vacation in the end of October. I'm not going to let her carry anything heavy and strain herself.

What a great hubby you are! Maybe even check with her Dr. first and see if she can have any spa treatments while on board and treat her to one. I know some massages you can''t have while pregnant because it can induce labor, but maybe even a relaxing facial? Boy am I jealous! I have to wait until next November for our cruise!

I realize it is hard on you as well!

I don't think that I'm doing the hard work as much as my wife does. She has to carry the prenancy for 40 weeks and creating another life within her body. She will also going through painful labor during delivery. She's the one who doing all the hard work. I'm just trying to make her feel comfortable as possible. One of my co-worker recommended the Ginger Snaps cookies. Probably I'm going to Wal-Mart after work and look for them plus the crystalized ginger which you recommended.

jlx2, you are going to a cruise next November after your delivery of the twins? Are you going to bring your twins on the cruise? I guess not.

Thanks

Jack

No, we're not going to bring them. Both sets of grandparents have offered to watch them for us. They're the first grandchildren for both grandparents, so needless to say they're over the moon! Keep taking good care of your wife, it really does mean a lot and she appreciates it more than you know! Make sure to post when you get back and let us know how everything went. I know the both of you will have a great trip.

Archived