Why don't the bars have fresh strawberries?

MamaParrotHead

A strange question, I know, but my friend and I were totally confused to find maraschino cherries floating in the majority of our drinks (including strawberry daiquiris)? I figured it had to do with keeping them fresh, but then I started thinking that that rings true for a majority of the fruit offered, even on the buffet.

Anyone have any thoughts?

A strange question, I know, but my friend and I were totally confused to find maraschino cherries floating in the majority of our drinks (including strawberry daiquiris)? I figured it had to do with keeping them fresh, but then I started thinking that that rings true for a majority of the fruit offered, even on the buffet.

This is just a thought. Maybe because fresh strawberries are a lot more expensive then the oranges, limes, lemons and marachino cherries that come in the jars.

i'll bet that very soon, someone's gonna tell you that the reason is because it's CCL, not Cunard :D

It is because Carnival knows I don't like strawberries and they do everything they can to keep me happy. :eek:

Seriously, it is partially the cost and partially the way a standard bar is set up. A standard bar has the lemon, lime and cherry section. Few have a full fruit buffet!!

Considering I can pretty much go to any Olive Garden and atleast get that...strawberries aren't all THAT upscale in that manner. I don't expect a huge bowl of them waiting for me in my room or anything. :D I'm not really complaining...just found it odd to have cherries plopped in my strawberry drink.

but then I remember having fresh pineapple in some drinks, and that is WAY more expensive than strawberries, correct?

You can do alot with a pineapple, and get alot out of it... you can even use an otherwise un-useable piece, as a garnish... An entire pineapple would garnish FAR more drinks than a quart of strawberries. Not to mention, strawberries would fall out of drinks easier, and strawberries can create a MUCH larger mess than a pineapple, LOL

Strawberries really aren't a heavily popular garnish even on land, some places that don't serve a tremendous amount of "foo foo drinks" might use them... but on the ship, they would have to go through alot of them... you would have to be able to use the really good strawberries, and it would cost a fortune... I prefer they stick with the way it is, LOL

No I thought this was HAL ship. Actually most ships and restaraunts don't use real strawberries, if anythign they use frozen ones. And the cost really dosen't have to much to do with it. Well maybe right now while the entire market is going u 30-40% a day due to the losses in california. I know my self i really don't carry and fruits at my bar other than oranges, limes, cherries, lemons. Main resons is alot of people don't order things that need pineapple or strawberries or mango's in them. Yes when i run a foo foo drink on special i will order in say pineapple for the "Pina Colata". But other than that most cruise lines buy so much fresh fruit and vegetables each week that they get a huge discount but they are also working in the ton range not even thinking about quarts

Fresh strawberries tend to go bad faster than say oranges, lemons and limes. I know that I can't keep a pint of strawberries in my fridge more than 2 days, maybe 3 at the very most cause then they start getting funny looking. :p

actually you can keep strawberries longer by placing them in the bottom of your home fridge. But be warned if your fridge is a little sensetive and things have frozen down there before i woulden't do that. The other thing that cuts into the time your strawberries might last is were they kept at a good tempeture after harvesting then shipping then marketing, now they go to the local supermarket and some 15 year old kid who makes min wage stocks them out then hopefully your waiting there to buy them but if any of these things is done wrong you lose time on the other end buying from a local farmers market where the food you buy isn't passed along to much is always the best idea for getting the freshest fruits and vegetables At work i can keep a flat or 2 fresh for about 3 days then i get some that start to look weird. Throw those out and i can keep getting more time. Yes the ones with extra green while tasty can make your sick. And ships use special fridge4s and freezers to keep produce at it's ripest for the losngest amount of time.

........ At work i can keep a flat or 2 fresh for about 3 days then i get some that start to look weird. .

As I said earlier - $$$ is still the bottom line. Former chef, never kept fresh strawberries over three days - period. No way to keep them fresh on a week cruise.

As I said earlier - $$$ is still the bottom line. Former chef, never kept fresh strawberries over three days - period. No way to keep them fresh on a week cruise.

Cotton, I notice that you have been a former chef and F&B manager in NOLA. At least I think you said NOLA....LOL!!!! Anyway, if you were in NOLA, did you happen to work at Commanders Palace or any of Emeril's restaurants?

Cotton, I notice that you have been a former chef and F&B manager in NOLA. did you happen to work at Commanders Palace or any of Emeril's restaurants?

As a matter of fact, Emeril and I were both sous chefs at Commander's Palace, under the fanastic chef Jamie Shannon, who has since passed away. We worked for the Brennans for a few years together. (Emeril is now married to my DD's best friend from here.) He's a great guy, great chef, and terrific dad to those two little ones and his older kids as well. Emeril and I have a mutual admiration society...:D He calls me his little old lady pal.

As a matter of fact, Emeril and I were both sous chefs at Commander's Palace, under the fanastic chef Jamie Shannon, who has since passed away. We worked for the Brennans for a few years together. (Emeril is now married to my DD's best friend from here.) He's a great guy, great chef, and terrific dad to those two little ones and his older kids as well. Emeril and I have a mutual admiration society...:D He calls me his little old lady pal.

OMG, you know Emeril...!!!!! I can tell he's a great guy...been watching his shows for several years now.

Now I definitely know the food on Carnival is great!!!!! LOL!! :D

I've been trying to get tickets for Emeril Live for years now since I live in NY but never get picked. :(

Cotton, just had to add that this is sooo cool! Wow...you are a celebrity by association! If Carnival's food is good enough for you, it should be good enough for anybody!!! LOL

Archived