Cayo Levantado - Private excursions??

MMCK

I've been looking at the excursions to Cayo Levantado from the Samana port. Does anyone have any experiences with private excursions for this island? I guess I'm just looking for a boat that takes you to the island from Samana...which NCL is charging $29/pp for :eek: and calling it the "beach escape." Seems ridiculous...but I haven't seen any other options for getting to the island besides NCL's excursion. Anyone know?

You may want to contact Gran Bahia, it is an Occidental Resort. They are just across the water from the Island and at one time they had a free shuttle boat service that went back and forth between their resort and the island for their guests. They had a really nice beach and pool. You may check and see if you could get a day pass or something. Its been about 10 years since I've been there and many years ago the resort was even featured on Lifestyles of the rich and famous. Of course lots of time has passed so I have no idea what condition it is in now. But we really liked it there. Very calm and relaxing atmosphere.

Check it out and let us know what you find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Hope I'm doing this right. Never used a message board type site before.

I've been trying to find out about this too, with no luck. I know there have to be private shuttle boats that would take you across for probably $15 pp or less each way. It's just not that far! We will be on the Oceania Regatta 3/11/07 and would like to visit Cayo L.

Molly

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone -

We just got back from 9 days in the Dominican Republic and had a BLAST. Check out some of the DR forums and you will learn a ton of information - plus there are lots of American, Canadians and Germans that now live there full time and gave me the best advice for all our tours etc.

there are a couple GREAT DR forums DR1 dot com and Debs Domincan Forums debsdrtravels.proboards47 dot com

there will be a bunch of folks there that can help you out. Not much here yet in terms of the ports - but I am sure in the years to come, this island will be a popular port.

There was a new multi-million dollar marina put in in Puerto Plata that may be able to handle cruise ships - I hope so because my next two vacations will be cruises and I would love to go back.

What time do your ships port? I will talk to some friends I met there and see what I can find out for you.

Betty,

I too am going to be arriving with Molly on t he 3/11 Regatta and we've been looking into what to do in Semana. Our ship arrives at anchor at 10am, so we have to deal with the tendering. I'm guessing we'll be on shore before 11am. The ship then departs at 6pm.

Thanks for responding and I'll be looking at the two web sites you provided.

Meet you back on the Roll Call Molly :)

Barbara

Archived