Bringing Toddler on Princess Cruise??? Help .

BarbMatt

Yes, I do have children. One is 22 and the other is 15. Like I said when we go on vacation we go to get away from the kids. We never cruised until the kids were old enough to stay with the grandparents. Then we took a weeks vacation for a break.... It's not mean, everyone just needs a little break once in a while. We then take the kids on a vacation where there will be other kids. Not a cruise though.... A lot of adults go cruising to get away from there kids......

Yes, I do have children. One is 22 and the other is 15. Like I said when we go on vacation we go to get away from the kids. We never cruised until the kids were old enough to stay with the grandparents. Then we took a weeks vacation for a break.... It's not mean, everyone just needs a little break once in a while. We then take the kids on a vacation where there will be other kids. Not a cruise though.... A lot of adults go cruising to get away from there kids......

Now this is more of your opinion. Your comment "I think someone would have to have their head examined to bring a 2 year old on a cruise" was rude. It's not a fair comment.

But, when you say "we go on vacation we go to get away from the kids" that clearly comes across as your opinion.

That's MY point.

And yes, a lot of adults do go cruising to get away from THEIR kids, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to leave their kids at home or "get their heads examined." That's all I'm trying to point out to you.

But, Princess is a family cruiseline, so if you feel that strongly about being around kids on a cruise, your own and other people's, then maybe a cruiseline like Crystal Cruises or Seabourne is where you should look because I don't think they have kids on those lines.

No harm intended and I know that you are more than entitled to your opinion. However, I took offense to your first sentence and found it to be rude and unfair.

Hope your next cruise is kidless and uneventful to your satisfaction.

To the rest of you and to the OP -- take your kids on your planned family vacations and enjoy and don't worry about what other people think! It's not important.

Well, I'm the mother of five (thankfully grown - all doing well, thank you) kids, but you must remember that back in the 70's and 80's, "Kids' Programs" were definitely NOT the norm. Cruises then were particularly geared towards the very traditional ADULT cruising experience..midnight buffets, grandiose evening shows, very formal dining, etc. Never even considered taking a young child on a cruise back then! It was a time for Mom and Dad to "get away"! Cruising back then was pretty much a luxury vacation. For "family time", we opted for the usual driving trips (5 kids and a dog in the family Suburban) to Yellowstone, Disneyland...etc. ) Reminds me of Chevy

Chase in "Family Vacation"...many nightmares! Anyway, I'm probably spoiled by those former days of cruising, and it's been a challenge to my cruising days of 35 years ago when I see youngsters/tweens/older kids on cruises. I've been on over 30 cruises, and I must say that about 90% of the time, the kids are great! I enjoy interacting with them and their parents - especially the sweet babies! As with most other cruisers, I've had a few negative interactions with obnoxious older kids who delight in knocking on cabin doors in the middle of the night, hogging stairways and pool chairs, running into innocent folks, and @#$%&* cursing words that they don't think I know. heh heh! Anyway, on my last Princess cruise (9-05), the only problem was with tweens who hogged the hot tubs (Who hasn't encountered that??) The rest of the kids were very well-behaved - even in the Palm Court. By all means, bring your kids on cruises!! (But -mPLEASE - monitor those older ones, for the sake of everyone's enjoyment!) Thanks!

BTW - going to become a Grandma for the first time within the next month...it's a GIRL!! Finally!!!

Well, I'm the mother of five (thankfully grown - all doing well, thank you) kids, but you must remember that back in the 70's and 80's, "Kids' Programs" were definitely NOT the norm. Cruises then were particularly geared towards the very traditional ADULT cruising experience..midnight buffets, grandiose evening shows, very formal dining, etc. Never even considered taking a young child on a cruise back then! It was a time for Mom and Dad to "get away"! Cruising back then was pretty much a luxury vacation. For "family time", we opted for the usual driving trips (5 kids and a dog in the family Suburban) to Yellowstone, Disneyland...etc. ) Reminds me of Chevy

Chase in "Family Vacation"...many nightmares! Anyway, I'm probably spoiled by those former days of cruising, and it's been a challenge to my cruising days of 35 years ago when I see youngsters/tweens/older kids on cruises. I've been on over 30 cruises, and I must say that about 90% of the time, the kids are great! I enjoy interacting with them and their parents - especially the sweet babies! As with most other cruisers, I've had a few negative interactions with obnoxious older kids who delight in knocking on cabin doors in the middle of the night, hogging stairways and pool chairs, running into innocent folks, and @#$%&* cursing words that they don't think I know. heh heh! Anyway, on my last Princess cruise (9-05), the only problem was with tweens who hogged the hot tubs (Who hasn't encountered that??) The rest of the kids were very well-behaved - even in the Palm Court. By all means, bring your kids on cruises!! (But -mPLEASE - monitor those older ones, for the sake of everyone's enjoyment!) Thanks!

BTW - going to become a Grandma for the first time within the next month...it's a GIRL!! Finally!!!

I just became a grandmother too, three months ago, to a beautiful little girl, named Grace. She is the apple of my eye, but I would not want to cruise with her at this age. When she is three, I will take her on a cruise and we can all have fun and relax.

I think someone would have to have their head examined to bring a 2 year old on a cruise. I would like to see princess offer an adult only cruise. Many people cruise to get away from the kids. Then the cruise they go on is loaded with little screaming babies. It does not mean they don't love their own children, but everyone needs a break.

What an ignorant thing to say. SOME OF US need the cruise to be together. With our hectic lifestyles, and between work, school, activites, etc.. we need TIME TOGETHER..thus we vacation together...

When I made the decision to have children, it was to be with them, not to go away without them. I don't condemn those who do, but nobody should condemn those that bring them along..

Perhaps a deserted island is best for those who don't feel children should be on a cruise..Find your place, and be alone..

Like one poster said, bring your children, if this is what you want. You are paying for your vacation, and if it is a family vacation you want, go for it. There are pools for ADULTS only. Hopefully those who don't want to be amongst children, stick to those pools..

What an ignorant thing to say. SOME OF US need the cruise to be together. With our hectic lifestyles, and between work, school, activites, etc.. we need TIME TOGETHER..thus we vacation together...

When I made the decision to have children, it was to be with them, not to go away without them. I don't condemn those who do, but nobody should condemn those that bring them along..

Perhaps a deserted island is best for those who don't feel children should be on a cruise..Find your place, and be alone..

Like one poster said, bring your children, if this is what you want. You are paying for your vacation, and if it is a family vacation you want, go for it. There are pools for ADULTS only. Hopefully those who don't want to be amongst children, stick to those pools..

You're absolutely right!!! But most of us "older" cruisers, chose to raise our kids instead of letting daycare raise them. So on our "vacations", we chose to rent a house at the beach or forego them altogether, because we couldn't afford them, what with only one income. You have made your choice of what is important to you, and so, if you have added income, you should cruise.

As parents of 5 children (all very close)...How would anyone even think of taking very young children (I would say under 8) into a formal dining room for an evening meal?!! Quite amazing! It is most certainly not the place for a young child in the evening. Our recent cruise onboard Crown princess was an incredible experience seeing children misbehave had mealtimes. The only acceptable time for a child in a formal dining room is breakfast. Other than that, it's alternative dining with them or send them off with the nanny. Or better still, avoid cruiselines who do not offer nanny service/night stations.

Cruises are for all to enjoy and young children in certain areas such as dining spoil it for the rest. When they are older and can sit for a lengthy mealtime - that is the time for them to learn to engage with adults.

There is nothing more pleasurable than when your children are older and you can sit and enjoy lively conversation whilst enjoying wonderful food.

Now I shall probably be shot....!

Simply because you did not bring up your children to behave themselves in a formal dining room before the age of 8 does not mean other parents are not able to. We live in NYC & my 4 children have been going to restaurants, casual and fancy since the time they came home from the hospital. They all know how to sit thru various courses and eat everything from sushi to escargot. I'm sorry your own experience was not up to these standards but do not assume everyone else is so incapable.

By the way, why would you think the alternative restaurants where you have to pay a surcharge and are longer, more leisurely affairs are a more "appropriate" place for children!?

You're absolutely right!!! But most of us "older" cruisers, chose to raise our kids instead of letting daycare raise them. So on our "vacations", we chose to rent a house at the beach or forego them altogether, because we couldn't afford them, what with only one income. You have made your choice of what is important to you, and so, if you have added income, you should cruise.

Lordy lordy, it sounds like the OP's original question has morphed into a contest of who is better - working mothers or stay at home moms!!

Just take the cruise and enjoy yourselves people, live and let live.

Sounds like us. I haven't spent a whole day away from my child, who's now 9. I can't imagine it. She has gone on every one of our vacations -- after her birth, we waited til she was 23 months before we went on our first one and, of course, it was a cruise. When she's not signed into the kids' program (when she became old enough), she's with us. We're teaching her to be polite and well-behaved (well, we hope). She's certainly better behaved than some of the adults we encounter on our cruises!

BTW, went on a few cruises before I even considered mom-hood. Wasn't into kids at all (and even as a mom, never was the "wheels on the bus" type) but never minded seeing the kids having as much fun as us. Only once did I see little ones misbehaving and that was because of the parents.

Other than that, it's alternative dining with them or send them off with the nanny. Or better still, avoid cruiselines who do not offer nanny service/night stations.

Cruises are for all to enjoy and young children in certain areas such as dining spoil it for the rest. When they are older and can sit for a lengthy mealtime - that is the time for them to learn to engage with adults.

There is nothing more pleasurable than when your children are older and you can sit and enjoy lively conversation whilst enjoying wonderful food.

Now I shall probably be shot....!

Nannies?

Also, I highlighted: Cruise are for all to enjoy. I think if parents are considerate, they can enjoy their cruise, the kids can enjoy their cruise and other people (at least ones who don't spot a child and immediately assume he or she is going to misbehave) can enjoy their cruise.

I think the only people that might not have fun on their vacation are the parents of a toddler. That is just my personal experience.

I traveled with my kids at that age and they were alot of work. It isn't that it can't be done- just do you really want to spend your vacation time in limited quarters- paying for fine dining that you might never get to enjoy, etc.

If you have extended family who can watch your child while you dine, sit in the hot tub or go to the nightclubs on board- then your trip will be better. If not, I would choose a different vacation because I have done it with a 13 month old and it was not enjoyable for me on the ship.

First, you are entitled to your opinion, but your first sentence is rude. I assume then you do not have kids?

Second, there are lines where adults do not bring kids -- maybe those would be the cruiselines you should check into.

Many people cruise to have a F-A-M-I-L-Y vacation . . . not to "get away from the kids."

Maybe they have really rotten kids they need to get away from :eek:

I think someone would have to have their head examined to bring a 2 year old on a cruise. I would like to see princess offer an adult only cruise. Many people cruise to get away from the kids. Then the cruise they go on is loaded with little screaming babies. It does not mean they don't love their own children, but everyone needs a break.

What an ignorant remark. So people with a two year old don't need a break as well?

We were on a summer cruise and there were more problems with unsupervised teens running rampant over the ship than babies.

I am older and love seeing the little ones on a cruise - most of them are having a great time.

If you don't like kids on a ship, cruise during school season when there are a lot less kids or crise on a more exclusive line that doesn't cater to families.

I think the only people that might not have fun on their vacation are the parents of a toddler. That is just my personal experience.

I traveled with my kids at that age and they were alot of work. It isn't that it can't be done- just do you really want to spend your vacation time in limited quarters- paying for fine dining that you might never get to enjoy, etc.

If you have extended family who can watch your child while you dine, sit in the hot tub or go to the nightclubs on board- then your trip will be better. If not, I would choose a different vacation because I have done it with a 13 month old and it was not enjoyable for me on the ship.

I totally agree with you! That's why I didn't take my kids on a cruise until the youngest could go in the kids program. I knew that if I cruised with a toddler, it would be no fun for me. But as I said earlier on this thread, I wouldn't presume to criticize others who are brave (or foolish) enough to cruise with a toddler. I hope and expect them to be considerate of others, especially in the dining room. And I think the vast majority of parents are considerate. But on any given cruise you'll find misbehaving kids and misbehaving adults. That's just life and I won't let it ruin my cruise.

--Junglejane

As parents of 5 children (all very close)...How would anyone even think of taking very young children (I would say under 8) into a formal dining room for an evening meal?!! Quite amazing! It is most certainly not the place for a young child in the evening.

It all depends on the child. My 9-year old has been cruising since she was 7, and I always bring her to formal night. She is used to eating out, and has been visiting 4- and 5-star restaurants since she was 3 years old. If your child is a nightmare, then yes, do not take them to formal night; do not even take them into the dining room as it only disturbs the other patrons. If they are well-behaved, then why would you even think of making them miss it? My daughter looks forward to both formal nights. Why you would think that it's "not the place for a young child in the evening" is beyond me.

I do not think that cruising is the place for toddlers or infants. There will be times when that toddler or infant becomes disorderly and all to often the parents do not take the proper steps to correct the problem. Making it less enjoyable for other guest.

Such as the experience on one of my cruises. We were seated with a group that we were traveling with. Another couple decided to bring there 18 month old with them on the cruise. During dinner the infant began to fuss and instead of taking the infant back to the room the mother decided to calm the infant by breast feeding him at the dinner table while the rest of us were trying to eat, very poor manners.

I totally agree with you! That's why I didn't take my kids on a cruise until the youngest could go in the kids program. I knew that if I cruised with a toddler, it would be no fun for me. But as I said earlier on this thread, I wouldn't presume to criticize others who are brave (or foolish) enough to cruise with a toddler. I hope and expect them to be considerate of others, especially in the dining room. And I think the vast majority of parents are considerate. But on any given cruise you'll find misbehaving kids and misbehaving adults. That's just life and I won't let it ruin my cruise.

--Junglejane

I think you kind of contradicted yourself when you say you wouldn't presume to criticize, but yet you throw the word "foolish" into the mix.

But your opinion is certainly your prerogative -- just don't call others foolish.

Sounds like us. I haven't spent a whole day away from my child' date=' who's now 9. I can't imagine it.[/i'] She has gone on every one of our vacations -- after her birth, we waited til she was 23 months before we went on our first one and, of course, it was a cruise. When she's not signed into the kids' program (when she became old enough), she's with us. We're teaching her to be polite and well-behaved (well, we hope). She's certainly better behaved than some of the adults we encounter on our cruises!

BTW, went on a few cruises before I even considered mom-hood. Wasn't into kids at all (and even as a mom, never was the "wheels on the bus" type) but never minded seeing the kids having as much fun as us. Only once did I see little ones misbehaving and that was because of the parents.

Not a criticism about always taking the kids on vacations, we have had many wonderful family vacations, but I am curious about the highlighted sentence. Will you never allow your child to go away to summer camp? I know I'm not entitled to the answer, was just curious if you don't mind answering.

I think you kind of contradicted yourself when you say you wouldn't presume to criticize, but yet you throw the word "foolish" into the mix.

But your opinion is certainly your prerogative -- just don't call others foolish.

I was just trying to interject a little humor into the situation. Believe me, a sense of humor is mandatory to survive a trip with a toddler. I thought I was clear in defending the right of people to travel with toddlers if they so choose. Don't look so hard for ways to take offense.

--Junglejane

Sounds like us. I haven't spent a whole day away from my child' date=' who's now 9. I can't imagine it. She has gone on every one of our vacations -- after her birth, we waited til she was 23 months before we went on our first one and, of course, it was a cruise. When she's not signed into the kids' program (when she became old enough), she's with us. We're teaching her to be polite and well-behaved (well, we hope). She's certainly better behaved than some of the adults we encounter on our cruises!

BTW, went on a few cruises before I even considered mom-hood. Wasn't into kids at all (and even as a mom, never was the "wheels on the bus" type) but never minded seeing the kids having as much fun as us. Only once did I see little ones misbehaving and that was because of the parents.[/quote']

Never had a day away from your child?!! Get a life love! and give your child a break and yourself and partner - you will all benefit from it. It's nothing to be proud of deary to say stuff like that! Get a life NOW before it's too late!! - it really isn't healthy for any of you.:)

And just as many FAMILIES go on the FAMILY welcome cruises. I just hope we don't run into you on our cruise. I agree with the poster who said that you might find it better tfor yourself if you found an "adult only" cruise. I would hate to think my five year old son would ruin your vacation by acting like well..a five year old. He is very well behaved, but like anyone, he has his moments.

Please don't judge on people you don't even know. Maybe the OPs little DD is very well behaved. Maybe she will keep her out of the dining room, just so she doesn't run into people like yourself who obviously don't want their children mucking up their vacation.

Sheesh.

Archived