Jewel vs. Freedom

whival

Hi all,

We're going on our first cruise with two young children (ages 3 and 5). We've decided on the East Caribbean and based on a lot of reading we've decide Royal is the line for us. Soooo, our choice is between a 7 night cruise on Freedom of the Seas or an 8 night cruise on Jewel of the Seas. The prices are very similar.

The ports for Freedom are: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

The ports for Jewel are: San Juan, St. Thomas; St. Maarten; Tortola, Nassau

Obviously, the Freedom trip is more ship based and the Jewel trip is more itinerary based. Has anyone travelled these ships or routes with young children?

I'd be very grateful for feedback,

Justine

We were on Freedom in October with our children and grandchildren, who are 5, 5 6 & 7. Two boys 5 and 5 and the two girls are 6 & &. All our grandchildren loved the Freedom. They loved Adventure Ocean (so much so they didn't want to leave the ship for shore excursions to the beach), they loved the H2O zone and the parades. The waiters, and really all the staff, were so good to the kids. We sailed the Jewel two weeks later, and while we prefer the Jewel for ourselves, the Freedom was by far the better choice for the little ones. Jewel will have Adventure Ocean, but no parades, no H20 zone, no Johnny Rockets and no ice show.

We've cruised over 35 times with RCI, and while we prefer the Radiance class, we thought the little ones would be happier with Freedom, or one of the Voyager class ships. They can't wait to go back....they are trying to grow to be able to use the Flow Rider!

JMHO.

Ottawa guy,

Do you have kids? If so, what ages (if I may ask)? I've been reading that the Freedom is more fun for kids, although the Jewel is fun too. However; I think my husband and I would like the Jewel better and since we'll be spending so much more time on shore, it won't matter if there isn't an H2O park on the ship. Also, I do like the idea of fewer passengers.

Thoughts?

Justine

The kids are very young, so some activities on the Freedom are not an issue.

I would choose for the 8 night cruise onboard the Jewel. More port of calls and don't miss Tortula!

Kids of that age have a lot of fun on the Jewel. There is a nice kidspool with slide, and except for the H20 zone and Royal Caribbean parade (2 per cruise), the Jewel has the same activities onboard as the Freedom.

The Jewel is one of the most beautiful RCCL ships, she is elegant, fun, great service and more laidback and relaxing than the Freedom-class. It's easier to get around too.

Ottawa guy,

Do you have kids? If so, what ages (if I may ask)? I've been reading that the Freedom is more fun for kids, although the Jewel is fun too. However; I think my husband and I would like the Jewel better and since we'll be spending so much more time on shore, it won't matter if there isn't an H2O park on the ship. Also, I do like the idea of fewer passengers.

Thoughts?

Justine

Actually we don't have any kids, and that's one of the reasons we chose the Jewel over the Freedom. We won a cruise from a Schweppes contest, and we had a choice of cruising on either of these ships. We chose the Jewel for the reasons I mentioned.

billsgal has been on both ships, while my wife and I have yet to cruise, so my information is from outside sources only. I only responded because we had this exact choice to make, and I did a bit of research before making my mind up. At this age, I think you're still cruising as a family, and that the extra night on the Jewel is worth cruising with her over the Freedom.

My two cents on my experiences when I sailed on Jewel and on Freedom..I did not sail with children and of all the cruises I have taken the one on Jewel was the most crowded and had the most children. I actually felt crowded on that sailing and have not felt that on the Voyager or Freedom class ships..I especially felt it on the pool deck area and in the shops on board are and in the centrum.

I have only sailed once on a Radiance class and unfortunately the late April sailing coincided with Spring Break on the east coast. Jewel is indeed a beautiful ship and the 8 day is a great itinerary and I look forward to trying Radiance this April but with kids my vote from what I have seen of kids on the Freedom and what I have read would go for Freedom.

it is your first cruise and you will have a great time with your family either way... you try one this time and then try the other class the next :)

of all the cruises I have taken the one on Jewel was the most crowded

That's because you had too much to drink, and you were bumping into everyone! :D Hehe! I kid you 'cause I can! The Soo is so far away from my place, and by the time we finally meet on board, you'll have forgotten all about this comment due to old age!:D

Archived