Collecting family from around the US

travelstar2

We're trying to figure out the best place to converge on a family cruise this summer. Mom is coming from Florida, a grandson from Indianapolis, and two adults from San Francisco. I think Miami is the logical rendevous site, but mom, the frugal Floridian, says LA because she thinks it will save flight expenses overall.

I've cruised Alaska and W Caribbean before. Mom cruised W Caribbean by herself over Christmas. None of us have ever cruised the Mexican Riviera before.

So would the Riviera be a let down compared to Caribbean or Mayan coast? Our main objective is to spend some time with each other, but I want the ports of call to be interesting too. Am I selling W Mexico ports short here? Thoughts or ideas?

Have you tried pricing airfare for all involved for all of the possible ports of departure and comparing overall cost? Also have you considered a departure from Galveston (airport would be Houston)?

Have you tried pricing airfare for all involved for all of the possible ports of departure and comparing overall cost? Also have you considered a departure from Galveston (airport would be Houston)?

Yes, I priced airfare and Mom is right that it's cheapest overall for us to fly into LA. Next is Miami. Galveston & New Orleans, while centrally located, seem to cost more to reach. However my real question was whether the western mexico cruises were as popular and interesting as the caribbean ones. I don't want to economize and then be unhappy with the trip overall. That seems penney wise and pound foolish.:)

Yes, I priced airfare and Mom is right that it's cheapest overall for us to fly into LA. Next is Miami. Galveston & New Orleans, while centrally located, seem to cost more to reach. However my real question was whether the western mexico cruises were as popular and interesting as the caribbean ones. I don't want to economize and then be unhappy with the trip overall. That seems penney wise and pound foolish.:)

We have done numerous Carib cruises and in 2004 we did the Mexican Riviera, we loved the ship, were with great people and enjoyed the ports more than the western carib ports, but I did miss the stunning blue calm water of the Caribbean. The water was much rougher, we don't suffer from motion sickness so it was not a problem. JMO

Archived