14 year old wants to be with older kids on RCI

Laughing Gull

Our 14 year old will be a mere 2 weeks shy of his 15th birthday on our RCI cruise. He will definetely want to hang out with his older brother and be a part of the older teen club. Do you think I can arrange this? And what's the best way? Should we wait till we're on board?

Our 14 year old will be a mere 2 weeks shy of his 15th birthday on our RCI cruise. He will definetely want to hang out with his older brother and be a part of the older teen club. Do you think I can arrange this? And what's the best way? Should we wait till we're on board?

The will not allow a younger person into the older groups. They sometimes go the other way by allowing older into a younger group. It never hurts to ask, but I would not raise expectations. Good Luck

My 15 year old likes to go with the younger group. It is a bit more organized with staff maybe getting a group playing a board game, others doing foozeball, others playing playstation. The older group does not have any staff interaction. They kind of sit in a corner, just sort of ready to pounce if trouble breaks out. The older group seems a bit more "clickish". Small groups of kids who have become fast friends and teens that are really into the whole "dating" scene.

My 15 year old likes to go with the younger group. It is a bit more organized with staff maybe getting a group playing a board game, others doing foozeball, others playing playstation. The older group does not have any staff interaction. They kind of sit in a corner, just sort of ready to pounce if trouble breaks out. The older group seems a bit more "clickish". Small groups of kids who have become fast friends and teens that are really into the whole "dating" scene.

I called Royal Caribbean's customer service line and he friendly agent informed me that if a child wants to move up (or down) in age groups the child would have to first spend 6 hours in the "right" group before the counsellers would consider making the change.

We booked thru American Airlines so i'm not sure they would mark his age down as 15. I figured it wasn't worth fudging the truth because (a) DS would never let me forget and (b) the cruise could easily check his age in their files. Don't they keep your passports?

If you have a travel agent, tell them the situation and they can mark your son's age at 15. Mine did it with no problem!!

It won't matter what your reservation is booked as. When you provide your son's passport or birth certificate they are going to see he has a different year. I would recommend fixing the date, because that is something that can cause you problems at boarding (bad advice from your TA).

I got the same email reply as Laughing Gull, when I inquired regarding my 12 year old daughter who turns 13 on October 27 (We cruise Oct. 7th). She was really stressed that she may be stuck with the younger crowd, and was relieved when she found out that she may be able to move 'up' slightly with my 15 YO daughter, once they observe her during that first period of time. Who knows, she may decide the younger group isn't too bad... I like RCCL's philosophy in regards to this, as my 15 YO would definitely not want younger people moving up that weren't "older acting"

Archived