Totem Poles in Ketchikan

DaisyGirl55

I know that there are several places and excursions to go and see the totem poles in Ketchikan. A couple of questions on this: :confused:

1 - are they within walking distance to the dock?

2 - is one area of totems poles better than another? (like Saxman village)

3 - can we see them on our own, or should we book an excursion and have a guided tour?

I saw online that Kethikan will be having a parade for the 4th of July...how cool is that :rolleyes:...so I want to be sure to see that as well. Just trying to plan my day, see some of the town, watch the parade, and do it all without wearing myself out stressing about trying to do it all. If I plan it right, I can catch the highlights without alot of fuss.

:) Daisygirl to see how the toem poles are carved &how the indians select the logs,there is no better place than Saxman Village. They carve totem poles for celebrities & we were told that an apprentice was being paid $500 per foot & A jouneyman was being paid $3000 per foot.

you won't go wrong going to Saxman Village .Try to dove tail the parade & the tour & walking around town .all very interesting to see.

Happy Cruising:D

I agree that Saxman Village (south of Ketchikan) is the best; although Totem Bight (north of Ketchikan) is also very interesting. Unless you really like to walk they're are not within walking distance.

We've taken a local tour (Rainbird) twice that included Saxman. We really enjoyed it. That last time we rented a car, but only because we knew where to go from our previous two visits. That worked well for us.

Jerry

We went to Saxman in May 2005. At that time, you could only see the dancers if you went on a ship's tour (Princess), which we did and loved - that was the best part of the trip for us! Can you tell me please if it is still the case that you must use ship's tour to see this show? We want to go independ. but don't want to miss the dancers. Thanks again.

The first time we were in Ketchikan we were on a bit of a budget so we took a self-guided walking tour. It was a two-mile walk. <Maps are available at the Anchor Inn by the Sea.>

Among the places of interest noted on the tour was the Totem Heritage Center $5.00 (601 Deermount Street) – it is run by the municipality. It has a nice collection of older historic totems that have been preserved. It is a lower cost alternative to Saxman or Totem Bight. Either of the others are great (and with a bit more ‘wow’ factor)

Also on Creek Street you there is a funicular tram up the hill to Cape Fox Lodge. The funicular costs $3 (2006 prices). The ride up gives you some view of the town and out to the harbor (weather permitting). At the top you will find the Cape Fox Lodge, a hotel with restaurant, coffee shop, Alaskan art and also the "Circle of the Clan" totem poles. Instead of taking the funicular you can take the "Married Men's Trail”. (it's an easy walk down and the trail has mature, fragrant trees).

There are other totem poles around the city (many on the walking tour)

I know that there are other companies that do tours TO Saxman, but I don't think any except the ship's tour get you into the clan house to see the dancers perform - I think that program is ship-contracted. Isn't this still the case?

Archived