Best Tahiti Travel Guide

mountainhouse

What's your favorite Tahiti travel book?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Tahiti travel book?

• Tahiti & FP Guide - Jan Prince
    • Frommer's
    • Insight Compact Guide
    • Moon Handbook (include Cook Isl.)
    • Lonely Planet
    • Hidden Tahiti - Rob Kay
    • Other

I really like the Jan Prince travel guide. I think most others do too, but on my way there, I wasted money on the Moon Handbook for Tahiti. The Lonely Planet guide wasn't too bad, but the Prince guide is best. I don't know about the Frommer's or Insight guides.

I went to our local village library.Read Jan Princes,Folgers , Moon handbook & Loney Planet.I liked Folgers but bought Lonely Planet & Moon latest editions off E Bay.Thats what were avail ,used. They all reccommended the same Hotels for Value. EG In Papeete The Le Royal Tahitien was their favorite,The advice was a bit too late for me as I had already booked the Sofitel for 4 days before I figured it would be a good idea to gen up on the place.

I received the Moon Tahiti and Cook Islands book for Christmas from my DH. It's the 5th edition published in 2003. He bought it at Barnes and Noble so I assume it's the newest version, but I can't vouch for that.

I don't particularly like the book. At least half is history. I go for a little history in a travel guide, but not half.

Also, it's very preachy. It says things like: visitors are causing the native Tahitians to lose their culture because the natives have shortened their traditional dances and ceremonies to fit tourist schedules and mock celebrations are held out of season and context causing these to lose their significance to the natives

This might be true, but I'm a little skeptical about tourism eroding a whole culture that evolved over hundreds of years.

Also, in the forward the author is praised for rather than listing a litany of hotels, guest houses etc only listing selective accomodations with opinionated commentary. I prefer to see a list of everything available with frank comments on each accomodation so I can choose for myself from everything there is to offer. If I'm only seeing a pre-selected group of accomodations it limits my choices.

I received the Moon Tahiti and Cook Islands book for Christmas from my DH. It's the 5th edition published in 2003. He bought it at Barnes and Noble so I assume it's the newest version, but I can't vouch for that.

I don't particularly like the book. At least half is history. I go for a little history in a travel guide, but not half.

Also, it's very preachy. It says things like: visitors are causing the native Tahitians to lose their culture because the natives have shortened their traditional dances and ceremonies to fit tourist schedules and mock celebrations are held out of season and context causing these to lose their significance to the natives

This might be true, but I'm a little skeptical about tourism eroding a whole culture that evolved over hundreds of years.

Also, in the forward the author is praised for rather than listing a litany of hotels, guest houses etc only listing selective accomodations with opinionated commentary. I prefer to see a list of everything available with frank comments on each accomodation so I can choose for myself from everything there is to offer. If I'm only seeing a pre-selected group of accomodations it limits my choices.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just read Frommers 2007 Tahiti & French Polynesia & it is far superior in detail & accuracy than the others mentioned because it's this years .Some of the others were written in 1996 with up dates.One advised not going because the French were still doing Nuclear testing in 96

I did not see this thread until I bought my guides this last week. I went to Barnes and Noble's. They had 6 Tahati guides. After looking through both I bought both the Prince and Frommers.

Frommmers because of the good information. All ths information is already on the internet, but for me it is easier to read in the book form because I can scan the info better.

Prince has equally good information and some additional info on tours. I enjoyed the short history. I also enjoyed the history included with each sight to be visited. It give me information about why I should visit that particular spot. I will better aquainted with what I am going to see now.

And I don't think it is half history and you can skip over those sections any how.

Archived