Snorkling

kentuckychris

KyCHris, I am also interested. I have read good things about both. I think the biggest difference is that Edens Rock is right there next to the pier and you would need to take a cab to Cemetary Beach. Edens Rock has no sandy beach, just steps and is all ironshore. CB you can actually enjoy the beach with shade etc. No facilities there though. At ER there is a dive shop and a restaurant next door. (actually you come to that first when walking to the dive shop). This information is all from what I have read. Not from 1st hand experience. I posted over on the snorkeling boards for help and haven't gotten much of a response. I had thought of ER too, but then thought I might enjoy the beach aspect.

Hope this helps a little.:rolleyes:

One last thing that I forgot.....If you read through the "sticky" above that says something like Grand Cayman compiled, snorkeling etc. It gives lots of information about all the places.

I was there in 2005.

Get off pier and go right. You will be walking on a sidewalk approx. 1-2 blocks. The first beach bar/restaurant you come to,against the water, rents snorkel gear. You can snorkel right there from shore. Rocky... wear water shoes. Easy to access water, there is steps. They throw scraps in the water from the restaurant. It's like snorkeling through an aquarium. UNBELIEVABLE!

THE BEST SNORKELING. Also... they have the best pina-caladas.

They have lockers there. You can snorkel...then shop...drink...eat...snorkel again before it's time to leave.

This has been the best place we've spent a day at--- on any of these islands. I'll return.

They have lockers there. You can snorkel...then shop...drink...eat...snorkel again before it's time to leave.

Are you saying you can rent the locker for all day? We'd like to snorkel in the morning and then shop without lugging everything around or having to go back to the ship.

I have read good things about both. I think the biggest difference is that Edens Rock is right there next to the pier and you would need to take a cab to Cemetary Beach. Edens Rock has no sandy beach' date=' just steps and is all ironshore. CB you can actually enjoy the beach with shade etc. No facilities there though. At ER there is a dive shop and a restaurant next door. (actually you come to that first when walking to the dive shop). This information is all from what I have read. Not from 1st hand experience. I posted over on the snorkeling boards for help and haven't gotten much of a response. I had thought of ER too, but then thought I might enjoy the beach aspect.[/quote']

I have snorkeled at both Eden Rock & Cemetary Reef and Choosin's information is accurate.

ER is very close to the pier, has no beach at all and has awesome snorkeling. You enter & exit the water by using a ladder cemented into the rocks by the dive shop. You swim out a bit (100 yds?) to the reef and you'll be snorkeling in deep water (10-50 feet). As a side note, my DH is a slightly skiddish about snorkeling in deep water & a distance away from shore or a boat. He agrees that the snorkeling is really good at ER, but these things make him uncomfortable & uneasy. Just something to think about if you have any skiddish snorkelers in your party.

It would be rare not to have other snorkelers out there with you at ER and occasionally you can see divers swimming below you in the reef. The dive shop facilities has fresh water basin & shower to rinse equipment & self. Places to eat & drink are nearby.

CR is a secluded beach towards the end of Seven Mile Beach and you will have to take a cab to get there. There is a cemetary that is between the beach & the road (hense the name, Cemetary Reef). The beach is soft white sand and it's just a short swim out to the reef (10-20 yds?) and you'll be snorkeling in shallow water (3-10 feet). The snorkeling is really good and you feel "up close & personal" because of it's shallowness. There are no facilities around CR and it would be rare to have other snorkelers there with you. There are no places to eat & drink nearby.

These are two very good shore snorkeling experiences but have obvious differences that only your own preferences could determine. Close to pier vs cab ride, rock shore vs sand beach, people vs secluded, facilites vs nothing nearby.

I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you might have.

h2o4me, thank you for your post, though I am not the OP. I was actually planning on doing both since they both have their advantages. With that said, I am a little like your dh I think in that I am also a little uneasy. I have never had to swim out to a reef like that. I have always snorkeled off a boat or beach. Do you know if say Sunset House or Devil's Grotto would be closer to shore? and is as good, thus being a little more "comforting" lol?

does anyone know if eden rock will rent life jackets? i get nervous if it is that deep and will be with my son and niece who are 11 and 12. we have been looking for some snorkeling close to the pier because we have a morning excursion booked and then could snorkel in the afternoon.. thank you. :D

I'm just trying to compare the 2 spots. I was wondering if anyone has actually snorkeled at both places and what they thought about them.

Hi,

An alternative is Sunset House Resort. It's about a mile from the cruise terminal stop past eden rock (just a 5 minute inexpensive cab ride). SSH has a local dive shop on site that rents snorkel gear and lockers for while you're in the water. Their "house reef" is accessed via a swimming pool ladder (4 steps) that come off a short cement dock. The reef is right off the ladder and starts in about 12Ft. of water with lots to see. Afterwards, the bar "my bar" is an outside bar right next to the ocean for a bit of relaxing before you go back. And there's either a taxi at SSH in the drive or the dive center can call one for you quickly. If you're interested, you can get more details from the dive center by calling or e-mailing them. Their website is: http://www.sunsethouse.com/. You can even take a 1/2 day underwater photo lession on the reef with Cathy Church, the famous underwater photographer, as this is where her studio is as well. Plus, no crowds and plenty to see.

Just an alternative,

Randall

does anyone know if eden rock will rent life jackets? i get nervous if it is that deep and will be with my son and niece who are 11 and 12. we have been looking for some snorkeling close to the pier because we have a morning excursion booked and then could snorkel in the afternoon.. thank you. :D

This is a response I received from packedandready awhile back. I plan on doing just that!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by choozin' cruzin'

planopearl-as we are probably going to do Edens Rock did you rent life vests at the dive shop or bring your own? I am also concerned about having a dive flag.

I emailed Eden Rock about vests. They rent them for $5.00.

And here's another one I found ( the difference between Abanks and Eden Rock dive shop:

One difference is for snorkel vests. I believe Abanks wants $7 for just a snorkle vest rental and Eden Rock gets $5 I believe.

Archived