Kayak & Snorkel Eco Adventure

Man Over Board

We did it and had a lot of fun... You take a bus ride to a river. Then you take a short boat ride to the kayaks...

There are two people in each kayak, or one if you prefer. (maximum weight 400 lbs). While the group I was with didn't know what the heck we were doing, and having a great time, there were some passengers who were really serious kayakers (sp). In case you got tired, the boat was following us and you could stop at anytime and get onto the boat to follow.

After kayaking we went to a beach or if you preferred, they took you out a little bit for snorkeling. Others who went said it was ok, not a big deal. We stayed behind and climbed to the top of the mountain on the beach and then just relaxed on the beach.

Overall I would say it was loads of fun, and we are actually considering doing it again in April.

Elaine :)

Thank you Elaine for the reply. I have another question, what shoes did you wear? I know my feet will get wet in the kayak so I don't want to wear my sneakers. But if we are hiking as well I will want to wear them. Can I take my sneakers off and leave them on the boat that follows you, then put them on when we hike?

We actually used the shoes that the tour offered. Upon arrival at the "house", there was a huge box that had hundreds of shoes in it... You just had to find a pair to fit you. They were just like watershoes.

To be perfectly honest, if you purchase a pair of those $6.99 or so watershoes in Walmart, those are fine for both the kayaking and the hiking...

When are you going?

We booked a tour with Antigua paddles for our cruise next week. There are some reviews of it here.

Here's what they suggested for footwear:

>We have a limited supply of sanitized water shoes, if you have your own

(aquasocks, Tevas, Crocs or similar wet shoes), by all means bring them.

Man Over Board....

Contract Antiguapaddles direct and you should be able to book it privately and save a couple of bucks... That's what we did... :)

labarrielc@candw.ag

or

Jennie

"Paddles" in Paradise

Tel 1 (268) 463 1944

Fax 1 (268) 463 3344

Man Over Board - small world indeed ! My husband and I both work in Durham :) We just went on the kayak tour last week. We booked with Antigua Paddles like Elaine suggested, and we were with all of the people from our ship (NCL Jewel). So, the ship excursion is the exact same thing as if you book it on your own (except in price!).

We had fun - but we missed some of the information because my husband's paddle broke and we had to go back to the boat to get another one.. its hard work with a broken paddle! LOL. So check the rivets on the paddle before you get in your boat!

The hike short, but it's uphill on uneven terrain so I would definitely want a pair of water shoes or teva sandals for that. A lot of people on our tour had on flip-flops and had trouble with the hiking part. They apparently didn't make it very obvious that you had to put it upon yourself to get some water shoes from the kayak shack before leaving on the tour (we both had the right footwear so we weren't bothered).

You could keep sneakers in the boat and put them on for the hiking part, but they expect you to jump out of the boat right into the water and then walk through the water to the island so you'd have to be careful with your sneakers.

We are traveling thru Royal Caribbean. Do they use Aquapaddles as their excursion company for the Kayak-Eco tour also?

We are traveling with another couple who together weigh 410lbs, and they do NOT want seperate kayaks. RCI sites says nothing about the 400 lbs weight max, yet, Antiqua Paddles, says 400 lbs? Wife is 190, husband 215, this is pre cruise, of course by day 4, they both might weigh more than that! I think me and my husband are okay(me, 125, husband 220).

Any experience with this?

Archived