Horseback riding in MoBay?

cruzinwithkidz

We did a great horseback riding tour in November through A-Zjamaicaplanners. Belinda set us up with Chris from Double A ranch. We had a 30 minute drive with him to the stables, a 2 1/2 hour ride up into the mountains and then down to the water and into the water. My wife and I were the only people on this tour that day so we got great personal attention from our tour guide, Gregory. Chris is the owner and is very knowledgeable about Jamaica history and politics. We would strongly recommend this tour. It's probably a little more rustic than the ship tours but also about $20-$25 cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be docking in MoBay and want to do a horseback ride on the beach. Carnival offers excursions to Chukka Cove and A-Z uses Double A Stables. Both appear to offer a similar ride down the mountain to the beach & swim with horses. One poster indicated Double A might be more "rustic" than the ship's tour. Can anyone give me a recommendation of one over the other?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading about several of the horseback riding offers available. My husband and I are on the 7/22/07 Conquest sailing and are very interested in this tour. Besides the Chukka Cove, I have read of the Half Moon Equestrian Centre, as well as one entitled "Montego Bay Horseback Riding." I've seen other references to A-Z Jamaica Planners elsewhere in the messages, so I am assuming they do more than just the horseback riding excursions? Please continue to comment on possible tours. It's nice to hear what others say, good and bad, to help in making a decision.

Thanks - Cruise Layne

• 2 months later...
How deep do you go with the horse in the water. Reviews on Chukablue said they go waist deep. I've seen pictures of a-z and the horses are just standing in the water. The ride is alot longer for a-z. Thanks!

A-Z Planners uses Double A Stables for their horseback riding. They take the horses as far into the water as you want to go. If you want to swim with the horse, they take the saddle off and you ride bareback. I sprained my wrist when my foot got stuck in the stirrup while dismounting, so I did not feel comfortable riding bareback, but my daughters did. They loved it. Don't think that a longer ride is necessarily a better one. I don't have experience with Chukka Blue, but was unimpressed with the AA ride down to the beach, which was through property under development on roads being cut, surrounded by heavy equipment. There was a short distance through some plantation-like vegetation, (which happens to be where my stirrup fell apart while riding). It's a small operation. My family of 4 were the only riders that day and we had 3 guides. My daughters loved it, but I would never do it again.

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen anything posted in a while concerning A-Z planners horseback ride out of MoBay. Do they still ride at Double A ranch and allow the horses to go as far as the guests wish? I have a daughter that rides competitively (both English and Western) that would love to actually swim with the horse. It seems like a number of the stables simply allow the horse to go out shoulder deep and many outfits don't spend much time riding on the beach. She wants to do more than she can do around home with a small farm pond. Suggestions of other stables would be welcome.

Archived