Livorno

Hi,

We will be going to Liivorno on a cruise we are doing this summer, have been to Florence and Pisa more than once, Was thinking of going to

San Gimignano, has anyone done that from Livorno and if so what transportation is available and how long does it take. Also if you have any suggestions once in the town, that would be great.

Regards,

Tony

I am doing some research on excursions out of Livorno also. From what I have gathered so far, San Gimignano is about a 90 minute drive by car from Livorno. You can take the train, but I am not certain how involved that will be. If you are on a cruise and have limited time, a train may be risky. There are several drivers/guides that offer private one-day tours to Siena and San Gimignano. One is www.prestigerent.com It is expensive, but every review I have read says it is worth it!:)

We rented a car through Hertz, and drove first to Pisa and then to San Giminiano. The Hertz rep was waiting for us as we got off the ship - at a little table with an umbrella. She got us signed up, gave us a map with driving instructions, dropped us at the car, and we were off. We had a 4 door Smart car - it was a stick shift. There aren't many automatic transmission cars in Europe. We paid about $120 US for the car, there were 4 of us.

My husband did the driving - and found it to be very easy to find San Giminiano - we had a great lunch there, and did some shopping. The scenery in Tuscany was just incredible! On the way back, we ran into a little bit of road work, but it wasn't bad. We had paid an extra 15 Euro to drop the car right back at the ship. It couldn't have been easier.

If you google "Livorno" you will get a number of possibilities.

We were in Livorno in 2002 and got a taxi on the pier. We went to San Gimignano and had a marvelous time. On our return the taxi driver who used to sing with Andrea Bocelli was humming along with the tape. I managed to coerse him to sing a duet with the tape. Riding through the beautiful Tuscan countryside a voice that came from heaven that IMHO outdid Bocelli.

A very special day indeed!

Fran

Izzy'smom

That is great info. I have been debating about renting a car and you have convinced me that it is the best way to go. I went on the Hertz website and the cars range from $120 to $300. What size car did you get? They looked awfully small at the $120 level. If you wouldn't mind providing me with your email I would like to discuss this in further detail with you. Mine is jconti@nycap.rr.com

Thank you

We rented a car through Hertz' date=' and drove first to Pisa and then to San Giminiano. The Hertz rep was waiting for us as we got off the ship - at a little table with an umbrella. She got us signed up, gave us a map with driving instructions, dropped us at the car, and we were off. We had a 4 door Smart car - it was a stick shift. There aren't many automatic transmission cars in Europe. We paid about $120 US for the car, there were 4 of us.

My husband did the driving - and found it to be very easy to find San Giminiano - we had a great lunch there, and did some shopping. The scenery in Tuscany was just incredible! On the way back, we ran into a little bit of road work, but it wasn't bad. We had paid an extra 15 Euro to drop the car right back at the ship. It couldn't have been easier.[/quote']

Can I please ask the same favour - could you email me at htortorelli at yahoo dot com - have searched Livorno on the Hertz site & found 'Calata Carrera' - do you know if this is the correct location for the port. The prices we have seen are very reasonable, but we are there on 2 May, probably low season. Much appreaciated

Hilary T

Was there last June. Were supposed to dock at passenger terminal area but last minute change put us in industrial/military port. Taxis weren't allowed to come in and it was a longggggggg walk to exit. The ship finally arranged a shuttle to town but we had already given up and taken the ship's bus to Florence for a day of doing it ourselves. Some we spoke to later took shuttle to train station and went over to Lucca which was our original plan except we were going to try to hire a car and driver at the dock. That strategy had worked very well at every other port prior to this one. Don't know how often this last minute change occurs but thought you might want to know about it.

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the information, can you tell me if you remember, how long did it take to get from Livorno to San Gimignano, and approx. how much did the cab ride there and back cost you. Just wanted to get an idea of price and timing. Thanks for your help.

Tony

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the information, can you tell me if you remember, how long did it take to get from Livorno to San Gimignano, and approx. how much did the cab ride there and back cost you. Just wanted to get an idea of price and timing. Thanks for your help.

Tony

Hi, It took approximately an hour and a half each way. I am sorry but the financial end was handled by the other couple and my late husband. Unfortunately I have no memory for numbers just the special places and special times.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from the port to Siena by taxi? This time we are going to try for Siena in November.

Fran

Archived