NCL Excursion Feedback

pbs55

My wife and I are considering the following shore excursions for our March cruise. Any feedback on our choices or any personal experiences to share?

Hilo- Windward Coast & Waterfalls

Maui - Pacific Paradise Luau

Maui - Rainforest & Waterfall Hike

Kona - Eruption of Flavor

Kauai - Hollywood in Hawaii & Falls

Thank you!

My wife and I are considering the following shore excursions for our March cruise. Any feedback on our choices or any personal experiences to share?

Hilo- Windward Coast & Waterfalls -

Maui - Pacific Paradise Luau

Maui - Rainforest & Waterfall Hike

Kona - Eruption of Flavor

Kauai - Hollywood in Hawaii & Falls

Thank you!

Hilo - I would not miss the Volcanos National Park.

Kauai - Would not miss Waimea Canyon - Hollywood in Hawaii shows the sites of some movies that were made there.

The only excursion that you mentioned that we did was "Holywood in Hawaii" and I can tell you it was one of my highlights.

I chose it because I was travelling with my 11 year old daughter and I thought she might get bored on a bus just looking at beautiful places - and because she wants to be an actress.

The tour is a great way to see much of Kauai's beauty and has lots of stop offs. Our guide was knowledgable and very entertaining. We also heard many things about the places we passed even though they had nothing to do with Holywood or the movies.

Basically, they take you to the sites were movies like Blue Hawaii and South Pacific, and TV shows like Gilligans Island, were shot. On the way, they play scenes from the movie, then you get out and see where the movie was shot and hear interesting background about the making of the movie and about the actors.

The guide pointed out many inconsistancies in how the movies or TV shows were made which were facinating. For example, I will be a lot more sceptical next time I watch "The Amazing Race".

It was all very interesting and you certainly don't have to be a movie lover to enjoy this tour.

My daughter's highlight was going to the Coco Palms Hotel where Blue Hawaii was shot and standing where Elvis had stood before her many years ago. I was particularly facinated by seeing what has happened to this once grand hotel and hearing about its history. It is about to become part of a big condo redevelopment and I am glad I got to see it before this happens.

Also, on the other excursions we did, we travelled on a large bus with lots of people, and inevitably were held up because someone came back to the bus much later than they were meant to. I often felt like we were just being herded from one place to the next during these big bus tours. But "Holywood in Hawaii" is on a much smaller bus (I think it could only take 14 people) and is much more personal.

But if you do the tour, you will miss some of Kauai's must see sites, such as they Waimea Canyon. We did a helicopter ride the day before where we saw these and other sites, and I think the "Holywood in Hawaii" complimented this perfectly.

I hope this helps! Have a wonderful time!

Archived