6yr old formal night

marklynpa

I've been on many cruises without kids (in our party) but in a couple weeks I'll be on a cruise with my 6yr old nephew. How important is it that he wear a suit/jacket+tie formal night? Will shirt and tie be OK? We don't want to be turned away at the dining room door...:)

thanks...Mark

We cruised Princess last summer (the Regal to Alaska). Our then-4 YO son wore a dress shirt, slacks, vest, and clip-on tie for the formal dinners. Everyone made a big fuss over how nice he looked. This leads me to think that an actual suit w/ jacket would not be necessary.

There is NO cruiseline that would turn a 6 yr old away who was dressed in dress pants and a tie.

There aren't alot of 6 yr olds with suits. And frankly who wants to spend 100 plus dollars on a suit the child will wear once, as they grow so fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I've traveled on Disney, RCCL and Princess and my son wore a collared shirt only from age 8-11, and I mean a hawaiian shirt and no one said a word and he didn't look out of place. However, now that he's 12 I will make him wear a suit jacket and tie. No one cares what the younger children wear on a cruise. Have fun!

If you want to try a jacket (looks good for pics, but don't expect it to stay on too long...) check out TJMaxx or similar store. I've found nice blue blazers there for as little as $7.

Our little one (5yo) loves to look dressed up like Dad and big brother who both love their tuxes. Even though he just wears black dress pants, white shirt and black tie. BTW a used tux is fairly cheap at a formal wear store and our high schooler has gotten tons of use out of it--beats even one rental for a dance.

It's been discussed before.....but consignment stores are WONDERFUL for this type of stuff. Got both my boys suits for under $10 and they are in perfect condition.

This is the type of clothes that doesn't usually "wear out" - so it tends to be perfect for hand-me-downs or consignment.

I am cruising with my DH, 8 year old son and 6 year daughter on a Celebrity cruise really soon. The cruise is 11 nights which translates to 3

formal nights and 3 informal nights. To dress my daughter is a piece of cake. My son on the other hand is a different story. Last year we cruised on RCCL which was a little more low key. He wore dress pants and long sleeve shirt with tie and that worked well. Recently I posted on the Celebrity board about childrens dress code. Well I sure got alot of responses. Apparently some X Cruisers are a little more high maintainence. I am starting to feel the pressure to bribe my son into a tuxedo, which I feel is a little much for an 8 year old. I am "worried" that we will be labeled as "non conformist" cruisers if he shows up without tux/suit.. I'm not really that worried, but I'm just having a problem with the fact that this is becoming a concern. I am not a rule breaker by any means, but come on does my son really need a tux or dark suit for dinner? I am a bargain shopper and I am sure I could get one at great price, but I don't have any relatives with small children to hand it down to . So do I conform and buy one for 6 nights or can he go suitless? That is the question. Last thought.... Aren't I supposed to be getting excited about the cruise? All I am doing is worrying about a tux for an 8 year old. Go figure?

Doogal:

Not to worry. Earlier today a host shut down a thread after 6200 hits regarding dress code/attire. The subject has been beatin' adnauseam.

Bottom line is you're on a cruise, try to follow the rules/guidelines for dress and be comfortable. The maitre'd is not going to throw your child out of the dinning room.

IAren't I supposed to be getting excited about the cruise? All I am doing is worrying about a tux for an 8 year old. Go figure?

Get excited...you're on holiday.

• Many times I've seen children with nice pants, shoes and a white shirt. That was enough for the formal night. If other patrons get snooty that's their problem not yours.
  • You could try the consignment store and find something nice.
  • I've seen some parents dress their kids up as a 'Prince' or even a 'James Bond Spy'

We are traveling on a Celebrity cruise coming up. I found a very decent suit for my 6 yr old ds at Target! It is a rayon and poly blend and really nice (not cheesy) he looks so cute in it. It was about $50 and they had navy blue or black (I bought one of each).

We have quite a bit of dress stuff (vests, ties, dress shirts) from our Carnival cruise last summer but he really wanted a suit - and I really did not want to spend $200 bucks. But at least we have the stuff that will all go with it.

I think it is possible to find a suit that is decent and doesn't cost a fortune.

Archived