Guarantee Not an Option???

poohs4me

They don't always offer a guarantee catagory on sailings... In fact, it seems to be a lot more common to not offer a guarantee.

They seem to offer them close to the sailing date when a catagory isn't selling as many cabins as they'd like...

How come a guarantee cabin would not be an option when I go to make my reservations online?

I cannot say for sure but, it is my guess that since the guarantee categories are usually the lowest prices - they are usually the first to sell out and, I'm sure the cruise line doesn't allot many into the guarantee cabin status in the first place. Maybe someone more in the know, like a TA, has a better answer than mine...

Usually the Guarantee option is available when occupancy is low for that sailing and they are trying to fill a particular catagory (or catagories). Side note: more often than not, that sailing appears as a "Hot Deal" as well.

The pattern I seem to see is that the cruise line is getting close to departure date and has plenty of higher category cabins available and none or not many lower category, they seem to use guarantees to continue to offer the lower priced cabins so not to miss out on the portion of the market that want that product. In effect they can continue to service both market sectors. If they sell that higher cabin in its category they have a higher profit. If sold as a guarantee someone is going to get an upgrade but they will have made a sale that will fill the ship with more passengers to continue the selling process to with ship tours, on board purchases and other promotions. A cruise spot is a perishable commodity, once the ship sails ( or actually just before ) it loses it value completely and the overhead cost are vitually the same.

Archived