Freeport Excursions

MikeA0589

I'm trying to get some ideas of things to do in Freeport. I will be on the Carnival Liberty leaving on May 20th and need something different to do. I want to do something different than what we are doing in Grand Cayman (Stingray City) and Costa Maya (visiting Mayan ruins). My girlfriend and I don't drink so visiting bars or resorts are probably not something we're interested in. I'm open for ideas. Thanks!

-Mike

I have been researching different options as well. I have read about Lucayan National Park and Gold Rock Beach. Here are a few things I have learned:

Lots of pictures on webshots:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1539439567036730791EqFjvh

"Gold Rock Beach is part of our National Park and is protected by the National Trust. This beach is located east of the Island (about 25 miles from Freeport) and is secluded and spectacular at low tide. It can be accessed via tour bus or rental car. BBQ pits, picnic tables and benches are available, but no other amenities. North of the beach, across the road are the Lucayan Caverns, the world's longest underground surveyed cave system."

You will have to rent a car to get there.

Someone recently recommended this excursion through the ship:

OFFERED THROUGH THE CRUISELINE FOR ABOUT $90 EACH

Explore Freeport’s “Lucayan National Park”, as you paddle through the inland creeks of the mangroves and walk on the pathways through the forest.

On this family excursion you will:

• Leave Port Lucaya on a guided bus excursion to the Lucayan National Park.

• Learn about the area’s geology and natural history.

• Have a short orientation before your guides lead you on a kayak exploration.

• View several species of birds, plants and other creatures in their natural habitats.

• Have lunch and some fun time on the beach.

• Take a narrated walking excursion and discover some of the caves once inhabited by the region’s early settlers.

Notes: There is a significant amount of walking involved on this excursion. Comfortable clothing and closed toed shoes are recommended. Water, sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and insect repellant are also recommended.

Kayaks used are of the open cockpit variety and the waters you will travel are mostly calm, resulting in easy paddling.

Hope some of this helps! I hope to make a decision soon; we leave in April!

Archived