curling iron or straightener allowed?

That's one thing I never understood. They don't allow irons onboard, but I can assure you that just about every woman on that ship has a curling iron, including me. I brought one on our last cruise and I used it and left it out on the counter after I unplugged it and our room steward never said a word.

I'm also bringing hot rollers on this cruise. I gotta do my hair...there is no discussion. :rolleyes:

It's the wattage of the appliance, not just because it is a heat source. Irons are not allowed because they use up too much "juice" and will blow the fuses.

The ships just don't have unlimited power and the use of irons will overload the system. Curling irons and straighteners are not as strong as a clothing iron. I think they just draw the line at irons, although travel irons probably wouldn't hurt. Mine doesn't even get hot enough to burn my hand :rolleyes: .

You're fine to take your curling iron and straightener.

It's the wattage of the appliance, not just because it is a heat source. Irons are not allowed because they use up too much "juice" and will blow the fuses.

I think it may also have something to with an iron having that large flat hot surface, that if accidentally left flat on something, could more easily overheat & start a fire.

We bought a travel steamer specifically for our recent Noordam cruise, since HAL doesn't have self-serve laundry on any Vista-class ships (the smaller ships on HAL do have them).

I also took all 3 of my curling irons (varying sizes). I was very careful to make sure that I not only turned them off, but unplugged them when finished.

Archived