how much is to much

momxthree

freedom that is, ds is almost 10yrs dd is almost 8. leaving on carnival sensation in 5days yeah!!! ds is able to sign self out of kids club dd is not, how much freedom is too much, they are good kids but I wonder about them gettnig lost, going overboard etc.. a little paranoid we also have walkie talkies but hear they aren't much use???

freedom that is, ds is almost 10yrs dd is almost 8. leaving on carnival sensation in 5days yeah!!! ds is able to sign self out of kids club dd is not, how much freedom is too much, they are good kids but I wonder about them gettnig lost, going overboard etc.. a little paranoid we also have walkie talkies but hear they aren't much use???

I don't agree with Carnival's policy of allowing 9+ year olds to sign themselves out. I wish the age was closer to twelve. Nonetheless, that is Carnival's policy.

As to how much freedom is too much. That is a question only you can answer. If you are not comfortable with Carnival's policy, then you have to lay down the law to your ten year old.

At 8 and 10 I didn't let my kids wander around on their own. They were either in the camp program or with us. I'm one of the "mean moms" who won't let them do anything.;) At home they're not allowed to go to the mall alone and walk around so I won't let them walk around alone on a ship.

Children should NEVER be unaccompanied on a cruise ship. period. There is too much danger to the child and even good kids sometimes are not quite so good on a ship. There are predators on ships just like down dark alleys or in your local park or school. Only on board everyones guard is down.

Loose children make for trouble for them and for fellow passengers.

Some parents really do seem to leave their good sense at home, and a few just don't have any to begin with. Not pointing to any individual there just that facts.

On our next cruise in Jan 08 will be our oldest sons 1st time being able to sign himself out and he will be 13...our 10, and 9 year old will have to be signed out. Its not htat I don't trust my kids......its just I don't trust others that I don't know and people are on the ship for vacation and I would not want my children in any way shape or form to bother them. My kids are great kids also but still kids will be kids when parents are not around.

Jayme

When my daughter was that age i did not let her sign herself out either, i gave her strick instructions not to leave the room until i arrived to pick her up.

I wonder why Carnival lets kids sign themselves out at this age when most parents are against it?

I may be over protective but, I'm sorry, there is no way i would let my daughter have "freedom" at that age unless i was following behind her.

But yet i see lots of kids wondering the ship at all hours, riding the elevators, running the halls, playing tag in the theater, throwing plates and glasses over the side of the ship.

Ok, i'm done venting:rolleyes:

I am giving my 10 yr old daughter strict instructions , NO sign outs without us!!

You do not know everyone on the ship with you, and yes there could be someone not so nice mixed in with those 2000 plus passengers.

I will check on her often enough that she will not be "stuck " there if she doesn't want to be.

Archived