Walkie Talkies

fina

Thanks for the positive and the negative responses. All I wanted to know is if I should buy or rent the walkie talkies, we haven't decided if we need them or not. As a group of 11, we were not planning to each hold a walkie talkie, maybe just a few of them, so if we are doing different activities on the ship or on shore, we can get a hold of each other. I don't think as responsible adult, we will be chatting and talking loud on them, it is just a tool for getting in touch to see where to meet up, etc.

And as for the comment regarding keeping children at home during vacation, I think that is a personal choice. Not all kids run around crazy and disturb others. It all depends on how the parents teach their kids.

Anyway, thank for all the replies. I will have to re-think the walkie talkies, I don't want to have people on the ship giving us rude looks because we have them.

Thanks y'all. :p

And as for the comment regarding keeping children at home during vacation, I think that is a personal choice. Not all kids run around crazy and disturb others. It all depends on how the parents teach their kids.

Anyway, thank for all the replies. I will have to re-think the walkie talkies, I don't want to have people on the ship giving us rude looks because we have them. :p

Don't let the "sourpusses" (as they're famously called) determine what's right for you and your family. Heck, these are the some of the same people who flame posters who say they're bringing coffee makers; why they care that I bring a coffee onboard to use in my own cabin I'll never know, but it sure upsets them!!! :confused:

Like anything else, if you do it with common sense and be first and foremost considerate to others, there will be no problem. I hate cigarette smoke, but I've never really had a problem with smokers onboard because either I've avoided very smoky areas, or moved if the smoke bothered me. I don't fake choking and hacking to make my point; they have every right to smoke in designated areas. And I certainly don't let it spoil even one minute of my trip!! :p

Have a great cruise!!

As one of the 11 people that will cruising with Fina in October I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. We appreciate everyone’s honestly and will definitely take all your comments into consideration when we decide whether to purchase and use the walkie talkies on board; after all, like Fina said, we don’t want people to be giving us dirty looks when we use them.

I’m quite surprised however at some of the comments made – some smart a** comments, some inappropriate ones, and some totally off topic! But nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to respond. And a special thanks to tom-n-jules for depending poor Fina – it was her first post and I’m sure she wasn’t prepared for all this controversy!!!!

Fina -

Bring Walkie Talkies with you if that will make your group comfortable. It's really hard to keep track of a large group. I hope that you have a wonderful time and all goes well.

If Fina had been a seasoned poster, I probably wouldn't have "said" anything; I would have thought it, but not posted "out loud".

Sorry if my initial retort came off as equally rude.

Obviously, there is every personality type on these boards, just like the real world. Some people are perpetually sunny and inquisitive (Sue - you out there??) and others are lovable curmudgeons who kick the dog (figuratively!!) but are also valued and treasured members of our happy community. Once you're on here for a while you'll learn to love everyone!! :D

No worries...we are not in anyway offended by anyone's remarks - we actually appreciate everyone's honesty! I think we were just surprised at the "bluntness" of the respones and the controversy of the whole topic. Thanks to everyone who participated in Fina's thread - better to get responses than none at all (for example, very few people have responded to my questions re: St. Lucia and St. Marteen...hint hint...heeheehee).

Didn't see your questions and wouldn't be able to help, but did you post those on the Port of Call boards? I notice there is very little action there. I think sometimes people just forget to check there. In fact a thread was started on that very subject just this morning. Anyway if you did start your thread there, you may need to bring it here to get the responses you need. ;)

Hi,:D

A group of 11 of us will be going to the Golden Princess Southern Caribbean cruise in Oct. I just want to know if we should purchase walkie talkies before the cruise or is there rentals on the cruise? Do you know how much it will cost to rent walkie talkies for the week.

Thanks,

fina

I hope you got the information you needed, if you have further questions that you would rather discuss privately please do not hessitate to email me.

It should not have been this difficult for you to get a straight answer to your question.

Princess should limit all walkie talkie users to use the port side of the ship where the smokers are. This way when someone uses their walkie talkie I can blow smoke in their direction. If all the kids stay on the starboard side that would be nice too and their parents on the port side can always reach them by phone. I'm not sure where they should put the cologne people. They should just be banned anyway.

I wish there was a "spit my soda all over the monitor" emotican!

You guys are joking right?

I love my kids and my walkie talkies! They go hand in hand (haha) on vacations. Priceless to me, especially as they get older. But, I am not obnoxious about them. Half the time I can't even hear them go off the first time. It never, ever occurred to me that people would be annoyed with me keeping in touch with my kids!

My answer to the OP would be, purchase them if you will have use for them again in the future. Or maybe just purchase a few that you know will be compatable with the ones you can rent.

Hey Fig, I forgot to mention that in addition to the 2.9 year old there will be a 10 year old too. The little one is a screamer and does like to dominate conversation at dinner. We think she will be a charming asset to formal nights. The older one can't sit still for more that 10 minutes so he will be just fine at the shows. Oh, I almost forgot-we will be taking the little darlings to the lounge shows too and since they are so young the comic will have to edit his routine. I plan to get up early and hog lounge chairs at the pool since my kids deserve the very best seats on the cruise. We will take walkie talkies and yell "can you hear me now" very loudly in the dining rooms. I will have their portion of the tips removed from our ship board account, after all 2 young children shouldn't tip the same as adults. On shore excursions, I expect that you will let them be in front so they can see better. They will ask constant questions and keep us all informed. In the buffet line, they will touch all the food with their hands and then put it back in the serving trays-they are little and don't have grown up germs anyway.

If you can add any other activities that the children would enjoy, please let me know!

Hi, we just returned from the July 10th sailing of the Diamond Princess to Alaska. We had a family group of 13, including 4 teens, 3 college age, and 6 adults.

Knowing that the use of walkie-talkies can be an annoyance to others - we decided to "go silent." We used walkie-talkies with the ear plug/mouthpieces [the ones that clip over your ear] that most people use with their cellphones. We also warned the kids to keep messages short and to the point. It worked flawlessly and hopefully did not disturb anyone. At least we got no complaints or nasty looks.

We used Motorola Talk-Abouts walkie-talkies that came with chargers. Ours had 22 channels and 99 sub-channels and a five mile range. The only cross-over we ever incountered was with a fisherman on the shore and that only happened once.

In this way we were able to not crowd the teens - but still be able to keep tabs on them since we had 6 cabins located on 3 different decks.

We were able to communicate while in port - with grandparents who decided to stay onboard. It also helped us rein in the power-shoppers in our family - so they wouldn't get so involved and miss making it back before the ship sailed from port.

Kathy

Hi Panda,

Well, I'm not new but I don't know how to do that either! Here's my suggestion, saw it on another thread here awhile back. Just post saying you realize this belongs on POC board but you couldn't get help there then ask away with any questions you have. Good luck!

Sharon

Annoying, let me tell you this if you want to find something that is annoying on any type vacation you can. If you want to have a good time you choose to. From 3000 people talking at one time in many many different languages to so may different accents how can you find a walkie talkie annoying. Get a grip... and enjoy your cruise. Everybody doesn't like everybody. We are a church group and we don't drink all the drinks that are talked about but we don't put down all the people on the ship that does. Have a great cruise. And don't let little thing annoy you. It's a matter of attitude. Happy Sailing

Brenda

Archived