Little Swimmers for Toddlers in Pool?

BarbMatt

bmgarrity - settle down. You read into it however you want. I can assure you that I most certainly don't make other parents look bad. I am the epitome of responsibility if I do say so myself :-)

Just to be clear.. I would and have never brought any child of mine that was in the full throughs of diapers into a pool on a Cruise ship. Yes, I broke the rules and let my almost three year old who was almost potty trained into a Cruise ship pool. For the record, and I'm not sure this matters, he was never really "in" the pool. NCL has a great pool design - there is a wading area that completely surrounds the pool. My son never left this area and mostly just hung around within arms reach of me and we tossed the ball around. That's it. For arguements sake I didn't even "need" to have him in a swimmer. He could have easily been just in his regular diaper because I *knew* he would never get waist deep. But, I choose to use a swimmer *in the rare instance* he would get it wet. Had he been in a regular diaper and it gotten wet it would have ballooned and possibly broke. Not good. For arguements sake, he was never really *in* the pool, so maybe we didn't technically break any rules.

Also, it's worth noting that every public pool that I know of allows swimmers, if not requires them. There are baby swim lessons you know! I'll stand firmly by my statement that when used correctly swimmers can and do, "trap" any matter.

I'll agree with you though that many mothers out there certainly make us "responsible" mothers look bad!

Also, it's worth noting that every public pool that I know of allows swimmers, if not requires them. There are baby swim lessons you know! I'll stand firmly by my statement that when used correctly swimmers can and do, "trap" any matter.

I'll agree with you though that many mothers out there certainly make us "responsible" mothers look bad!

That's fine and as already stated, most public pools allow swimmies. But we are NOT talking about public pools, whose differences from small cruise ship pools have already been mentioned.

As to the swimmies, from the CDC site:

Do swim diapers or swim pants prevent fecal matter from entering the water?to_top.gif

Not likely.

Swim diapers are unlikely to prevent diarrhea (which may contain germs) from leaking into the pool. Even though diapers or swim pants may hold in
some feces
, they are not leak proof and can still contaminate the pool water.

bmgarrity - settle down. You read into it however you want. I can assure you that I most certainly don't make other parents look bad. I am the epitome of responsibility if I do say so myself :-)

Just to be clear.. I would and have never brought any child of mine that was in the full throughs of diapers into a pool on a Cruise ship. Yes, I broke the rules and let my almost three year old who was almost potty trained into a Cruise ship pool. For the record, and I'm not sure this matters, he was never really "in" the pool. NCL has a great pool design - there is a wading area that completely surrounds the pool. My son never left this area and mostly just hung around within arms reach of me and we tossed the ball around. That's it. For arguements sake I didn't even "need" to have him in a swimmer. He could have easily been just in his regular diaper because I *knew* he would never get waist deep. But, I choose to use a swimmer *in the rare instance* he would get it wet. Had he been in a regular diaper and it gotten wet it would have ballooned and possibly broke. Not good. For arguements sake, he was never really *in* the pool, so maybe we didn't technically break any rules.

Sorry if you haven't been around much, there are many public pools and private that require a swim diaper with plastic pants (remember them?)over the swim diaper - to protect against leakage. These rules have been implemented since children DIED to due e-coli.

Swimmers are meant to have water flow through them - ie urine. Feces do come in contact with the water even though they are contained in the swimmer if they are solid. Sorry to be graphic... the fecal tea bag is a good analogy.

Sorry but your actions say differently...

May want to check the CDC's opnion on that - they disagree with you.

Please don't classify yourself with me - thank you.

From all I have read on this situation I believe that JillinCalgary IS a very responsible parent. God! The comments flying around by some of you you'd think she let her kid poop in the pool. Shame on you for making such a personal attack. If you are that paranoid of getting sick, then being on a ship or airplane is NOT the place for you. I'm sure if you wash your foot before you stick in your mouth you should be just fine.

From all I have read on this situation I believe that JillinCalgary IS a very responsible parent. God! The comments flying around by some of you you'd think she let her kid poop in the pool. Shame on you for making such a personal attack. If you are that paranoid of getting sick, then being on a ship or airplane is NOT the place for you. I'm sure if you wash your foot before you stick in your mouth you should be just fine.

I see from an earlier post that you are good friends with Jill and are their traveling companions. That is nice that you are sticking up for them however your comments are also incorrect. Being responsible is keeping kid poop out of the pool. I suggest you do some serious reading on the subject.

It is a simple rule in place for a good reason. Most days are port days. Take the kids to the beach, then no worries

It is selfish to bend the rules-

I am the mom of three. I would not put my kids need to splash in the pool above those of all the other pax that will be using that same pool.

A child is either potty trained or not. Pretty simple. As has been posted everyone is subject to a change in normal habits when traveling,both kids and adults.

From all I have read on this situation I believe that JillinCalgary IS a very responsible parent. God! The comments flying around by some of you you'd think she let her kid poop in the pool.

Yup, she almost did - very irresponsible.

Shame on you for making such a personal attack. If you are that paranoid of getting sick, then being on a ship or airplane is NOT the place for you. I'm sure if you wash your foot before you stick in your mouth you should be just fine.

Ecoli kills - period. It's the reason why the rules are in place.

BTW - I would have asked her politelyto remove the child by pointing out the posted signs - If that didn't work, then security.

She endangered other people with her actions. What do you not get about CDC regulations and ships rules? Talk about sticking ones foot in ones mouth..........................

If you are that paranoid of getting sick, then being on a ship or airplane is NOT the place for you.

No, not paranoid. I just don't want my kids swimming in other kids' poop, that's all. :)

Also, until the day comes when I see another PAX smearing poop on the hand rails or my beloved slot machine handles, then I'll just keep on cruising. And if I do see an irresponsible parent letting their Swimmie-Wearing-Poop-Machines swim in the ship pool along with all the other PAX, yep, I'll say something to them or the pool staff.

Signed,

DM

Mom of 2 (plus a few strays)

p.s. My 15 yr old DD is reading this laughing along with me...she says "I hope those poopie kids are put on leashes."

OK, I knew when I saw this thread that the OP was waving a red flag in front of some anti-kid cruisers, Unfortunately it seems to have turned into a bash Jillincalgary thread (whom, if you are wondering Largin, I do not know at all & have no relationship with :D )

Clearly an almost 3 yr old, almost completely potty trained is a very different issue than an infant and it sounds as if she took as many precautions as humanly possible (just wading in the shallow end) while viligently watching. However I think we can all agree she & the other passengers were lucky nothing happened. Our quite large public swimming pool was shut down for the entire summer after ONE contamination incident (they just couldn't seem to get rid of the bacteria or whatever)

However, for the OP, the Crown does not have a pool like NCL's design - they are all very small, very deep pools and there is nowhere a 2 yr old could stand & splash. It is actually quite boring since even with my 3 yr old (fully potty trained!) girls - all you could do is get in and hold them tightly. They are not allowed to wear any floaties or anything that would help keep them up! You would do better to bring a blow up pool & let her sit & play in that while you relax. The Crown does have a baby pool outside the kids club but since it needs to be emptied & cleaned it does not always have water in it. Just find out when it is available & set up camp there. They also have trikes & other toys for toddlers in that area.

Here are a couple of non-potty-trained incidents that I've witnessed on cruises:

The first was on the HAL Zaandam in 2000. (Great cruise!). A lady with three adorable little girls 5 and under refused to let them swim in either pool, and appeared frequently at the aft adult-only pool with them, but her husband warched them while she swam, and vise versa. We all silently applauded this family! (Never heard those kids cry or whimper at all!). On the other hand, a "Proud Papa", toting his first son (about 6 months old) after five daughters, proceeded to plop the kid into the aft adult-only pool with him, while Mama herded the five girls into the shade. I don't know if he was European, but he did speak with an accent, telling all within shouting distance how wonderful this kid was. Saggy, soaking diaper and all. Now, this is NOT a large pool! Several passengers nicely advised him to take the child out, citing health issues, but he refused. Several of us reported it to security, who also asked him to take the child out, and he again refused. By the next morning, when PP showed up with this kid, ship's security was there - to not only supervise the draining and cleaning of this pool (which annoyed us all, as it took all day), but to sternly tell him that HE would not be allowed in any pool. He cursed and stormed off. We cheered!

The second was on the Caribbean Princess in 2005. A couple with their 15-month old daughter showed up at the main (not MUTS) pool, dressed in swimming attire. We all silently groaned. Then, Dad pulls out a small inflatable rubber pool, blew it up, and filled it with water from the soaking area of the pool with a little plastic pail. He put it in the corner of the soaking area, and the baby seemed to have a blast! She splashed and poured water all over herself. Again, Mom swam whild Dad babysat, and vise versa. Afterwards, Dad picked the little pool up (kind of folding it in half), and dumped the water in the shower drain, and then scrubbed the drain area with a towel, which he then put into the dirty towel bin. I guess it was OK - at least he didn't dump it overboard!

What do you think?

OK, I knew when I saw this thread that the OP was waving a red flag in front of some anti-kid cruisers, Unfortunately it seems to have turned into a bash Jillincalgary thread (whom, if you are wondering Largin, I do not know at all & have no relationship with :D )

Clearly an almost 3 yr old, almost completely potty trained is a very different issue than an infant and it sounds as if she took as many precautions as humanly possible (just wading in the shallow end) while viligently watching. However I think we can all agree she & the other passengers were lucky nothing happened. Our quite large public swimming pool was shut down for the entire summer after ONE contamination incident (they just couldn't seem to get rid of the bacteria or whatever)

Honestly, I think Jill brought this on herself. She clearly stated that she disregarded the rules which were put into place for other PAX safety. I think that ticked most of us off. Also, the say with 100% certainty that she would know her child went to the bathroom before HE/SHE did is absurd! I've been a mother for 16 years, so I feel I have a bit of experience....NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE, can predict when an accident is going to happen. Does she realize that what may have been meant as a little gas can come out in liquid form?

Infant, toddler...whatever. One is either potty-trained or not. There is nothing inbetween.

I won't apologize for my position in this debate. My children are expected to follow the rules at public pools (no horseplay; no playing in the baby area; etc.), what exempts other parents from following the rules that apply to them?

I thought there was a whole kids area with splash pool etc... ?

As I explained in the rest of my post there is one very small baby pool outside the kids club. However all the "normal" pools are extremely deep (I am 5'5" & was barely above water) and have no shallow edges or seats to put down a small child.

We witnessed several episodes of diaper-clad infants being brought into the pool and hot tubs on board the Coral Princess earlier this month.

What is wrong with people? Do these morons not know the dangers of allowing an infant/toddler in a hot tub? :confused:

Ok - thanks everyone for the comments. To JillinCalgary: thanks for being so honest and forthright. I was looking for honesty and appreciate it. It's too bad you had to deal with the negative feedback. I already booked my cruise with Princess otherwise I would have looking into NCL.

I think I'm going to focus the next 2 months potty training my daugther so we don't have to worry about this by the time April comes around. In addition, if she isn't trained, we'll just stick around where she can splash - the splash pool - pad - whatever you call it.

BUT - I must say, that to be even more vigilant, parents of children that are potty trained, should still make their children wear little swimmers. I think they should be used for children atleast up to 4 or 5 years old as a preventative measure because sometimes accidents happen - whether or not you are potty trained. Anything preventative is always a good thing.

Thanks SO much Jill for all the feedback on Cruising with your Toddler also. I'm nervous and I hope we have good weather and a good time.

Thanks also to everyone else who provided some good comments. I just hope that my questions didn't enerve people too much. I do believe some of the comments to Jill were a bit much. And like the other poster, I don't know Jill - - - I just know that commenting the way some have may not come across as friendly. Thank you for providing the facts - I appreciate it.

I am a nurse. I have seen younger and older people die due to E. coli sepsis.

Wow, that's a lot of information! After reading all the posts on this thread, I don't think I will ever let my DS to go into the pools onboard, FOR HIS PROTECTION! Has anybody here thought about maybe a toddler is not the only source for potential contamination, a senior citizen is also susceptible to accidents?

I never let DS into the pool when he was wearing diapers, now maybe I will never let him even though he has been potty-trained.

Come on people, get a hold of yourselves! Rules are set to be followed and we parents shouldn't let babies wearing diapers into the pool. End of story. But let's not get too carried away and pretend to be experts and start painting these horrible end-of-the-world pictures. While on a ship, you can get sick a lot easier from many other sources than from a pool that has been visited by a baby (Don't worry, cruise is still a safe way to vacation, just use common sense and practice good hygienes)!

I am not a nurse and haven't seen anybody died from E Coli in person in the last 10 years (I know it can happen, and did happen, but it's rare in this country). I am only a pediatrician with a MPH and does part-time consulting for the regional CDC office.

Honestly I would not stress yourself or your daughter out over potty training just for this. Having gone thru the process 4 times I can tell you it happens when it happens & trying to make it go faster usually ends up causing major issues (which are difficult to back out of). Besides, with the pools on board all you would gain is a couple of dips in crowded pool where you would have to hold on to her the whole time. Enjoy the beautiful beaches on port days and on sea days just use the splash pool or blow up pool, bring a bucket & toys to pour water into or just explore the rest of the boat. It really is not worth making her or you miserable for two months just for a couple of sea days.

Imsulin, I think the thrid example you used showed excellant parenting common sense. It is hot on deck , and babies like water, so I think bringing a blow up splash pool is an excellant idea, they take very little room to pack, and just throw it out instead of packing it home( they are dirt cheap)

Pricness pools do have shallow splash areas, but , if a baby is sitting in that water, and has not a clean bottom, well they may as well be in the pool since the contamination just flows right into the deeper end.

I personally don't think most almost three yr olds are going to poop in the pool ( especially without some warning) , and as for pee, who cares, I have seen adult men drink beer all afternoon and NOT leave the deck except to go for a " swim" .Explain that one to me. ! Yuck and LOL .

I never open my mouth or eyes in the water.

Leave Jill alone , she and her child are not the Unibombers. ( Ha, didn't mean that to come out like that, but gosh I'm good, LOL )

Anyways, lets not this become a hateful evil thread, really.

People with babies and young ones, please be aware of the pool/ poop issue on cruise ships and bring an alternate pool, and other criusers , play nice , since most public pools allow babies, most people do NOT realize that they are polluting the pools on cruise ships( which as previously explain are different then public pools )

Archived