TA or no TA?

cruisegal134

I know that there are many TA's and many cruisers who do their own bookings on this board, so I am hoping for an open sharing of thoughts about whether it is a benefit to book a cruise through a TA.

My DH and I are planning our second cruise. We previously sailed on RCI about 3 years ago and booked it through a little one man band TA that was recommended by a friend. She was lovely and got us booked. She did recommend the cruiseline as we did not know one from the other (I've done a ton of research since that time). The cruise was very nice and the best at the time for us.

I have read so much on so many boards and feel quite confident about the cruise we want to book (the Pearl to Alaska in July). I know the location I prefer for our cabin, etc.

I am wondering if I am better off booking my own cruise through NCL, going through a Travelocity type of on-line place (they scare me a little) or going through a TA.

I am looking for the pros and cons of using a TA. Do they save money compared to going through NCL direct? Is it the same price no matter who I go through, but they can deal with NCL Customer Service if there is a problem? More or less of a chance of an upgrade or upsell if I go direct with NCL or go through a TA?

I really appreciate it. I look forward to hearing from both sides.

Thanks!

I booked our first cruise through a TA - a co-worker who moonlights as a TA. So, thought I would give her some business - big mistake. We wanted NCL because of the Freestyle concept, but she kept insisting on HAL. After that battle was won I discovered this board. I then learned about the 'magical' upsell fairy that can come visiting from NCL. Needless to say, when I mentioned this to her I got the deer-in-the-headlight look and I insisted that she make a call to inquire.

To make a long story short, I was doing most of the research and inquiring anyway, so it only made sense that I 'relieve' her from our file at NCL and take on the role myself.

I find it challenging and fun.

It's nice to be in control of your cruising options.

I still use a TA for other items like going to Disneyland, etc.

I would not use a bricks and mortar TA at least not one that was ONLY bricks and mortar. I also only book with the cruiseline on board for specials other than that I book through one of the big online, not the one you mentioned. Online cruise only places, there are those that will get you the best price and then monitor the price in case it goes down and automatically lower it for you or get you an upgrade if you prefer. Sometimes in order to the the HC cabin I need I do book with the line, but immediately transfer the booking to one of the agents I mentioned and get a better price and the other advantages.

I always book thru NCL now. I have booked six cruises with NCL in the past two years and after my third booking with NCL they gave me a personal cruise consultant. I call her direct extention and if she is not there she always calls back with in 30 minutes. She always monitors the cruise for me and gives me the lowest price and any special available. It is very nice to deal with the same person at NCL, so if any problems arise they are taken care of.

Booking with a TA for me was alright for my past cruises, but if a cabin or booking problem came up the TA would have to call NCL anyway to get it staightened out.

So booking with my own cruise consultant has worked out great :)

I would call NCL to see if you could get your own cruise consultant.

We done both - booked privately and through a TA and I'm now of the opinion that I can do just as well booking directly.

For our upcoming Pearl 4/13/07 cruise, I originally booked with a TA and it was NOT a positive experience. I wound up cancelling my booking with her, booking direct with NCL and it's been nothing less than great! I have a great PCC (personal cruise consultant) who worked with me re: pricing, made sure that I wound-up in the same cabin that I had originally booked with the TA and has touched base with me via e-mail and phone over the intervening 6 weeks to see if I had any questions, etc.

If you're working with a great TA it's a great experience; if your TA is (shall we say), less than responsive to your questions/needs it can be brutal!

If you have a good TA the advantages can far outweigh those of a personal cruise consultant. A PCC will direct you only to NCL. Many of these people have not even been on a cruise let alone know anything at all about the difference in ships/staterooms/categories/dining etc., except for what they read in a manual. If you have a problem with NCL who do you think your PCC is going to hold up for? You or from the person who signs their checks?

I am the OP. Thanks to everyone for their posts and I'd love to read more!

I just went to a link that was posted in response to another thread that was supposedly NCL's old site that shows cabin availability. When I went there and chose my cruise, etc. it shows exactly the same price for my DH and I as the "other" on-line sites. By the way, I was surprised that NCL, Travelocity, Expedia and Orbitz all had exactly the same price and same rooms showing as available. I thought these site purchased their own block of rooms to resell, so that was confusing to me.

The NCL site includes taxes, insurance and NCF (don't know what that is). On Travelocity, the price includes "cruise, cruise taxes and fees". When I back out the cost of the insurance on NCL, it comes to exactly the same price.

When it came down to pricing on either site, there was no mention of the 2 catagory upgrade promotion that is going on now - only the $75 on board credit. I don't know how one would even go about booking a cruise on-line and get the upgrade. I wouldn't know if I should book a BC with the understanding that they will upgrade me to a BA, or book the BA and somehow get a credit in the price difference ($140 total) at the end.

Thanks!

When it came down to pricing on either site, there was no mention of the 2 catagory upgrade promotion that is going on now - only the $75 on board credit. I don't know how one would even go about booking a cruise on-line and get the upgrade. I wouldn't know if I should book a BC with the understanding that they will upgrade me to a BA, or book the BA and somehow get a credit in the price difference ($140 total) at the end.

I would recommend calling some or all of these people. NCL has always put a courtesy hold when I called. The upgrade may be built into the pricing. In other words, maybe what is showing for the BA price is the BC pricing. I have also had very slightly lower prices calling NCL than what was shown on the website.

Personally I like to book direct because I would be too embarrassed to deal with a person as frequently as I check the prices on line. Right now I am hoping to do Boston to Bermuda but only if I can get what I consider a great bargain. Everyday I go to that site you mentioned and check the prices. I also occassionally check against the on-line T/A's. So far they are always the same and so far not cheap enough. Hopefully after final payment is due.:)

I have booked both by myself and with a TA. I must say I have had better luck by myself. We are using a TA this time because it is a group cruise, but when I call her about things I have seen I get the same old story, you are getting an oceanview for the inside price. Well DUH, we asked for an oceanview to begin with! But one thing to remember with the onlines like Travelocity and Orbitz, they usually have a fee for the bookings so it adds to the cost. I used them once for a hotel room and when I went looking later found I could get it cheaper by calling the hotel directly and asking for our AARP discount.

Hi there,

I used a TA for my Alaska cruise and everything was OK since I live in the seattle area and didn't need any extra like flight and hotel.

I am using my same TA for my Hawaii cruise which is March 12th, 45 DAYS, but who's counting:D I have asked for extras like car rental, Hotel for a post stay. And was worried about the flight and wanted to fly in a day early. She acted like it was an imposition to her. "Oh, thats going to cost you lots of money". She was supose to book me a car in Kona and told me I'd have to get a cab to the airport so I said forget it. Then I checked it out and found that next to the tender pier was the king cam hotel where you rent a car. Which I did. Also I have found that if you want any changes you have to go though your TA. These are just some things that I went though. Next time I'll do it myself.

I always use a TA that specializes in Cruises...I do most of the work,deciding on where,when and what line. The prices he can get are always better than anything I can get . If there is a problem or questions then the TA can spend all the time on the phone .

I think the best answer that isnt a real answer is... do your research and call around and see if anyone can beat the best price you've found. I did that for my February NCL Dream cruise. I called and asked for pricing and told them I was shopping around for the best price. I even asked them what the benefit of booking through them was...most didn't have very good answers ;)

I eventually ended up booking through US Airways Cruises since I'd get the same price as everywhere else plus 3,000 flyer miles. And less than 48 hours later I found the same cabin $20pp cheaper on cruise.com and called the booking agent back and got a $44 credit (110% price guarantee for 48 hours after booking). If I had booked that cruise months in advance that guarantee would have been worthless - so read the fine print!

Since then I've kept checking prices and it seems I got the best deal.

I did end up getting a cabin upgrade of sorts and the shipboard credit offered to all new bookings... and I got the $19.95 US Airways booking fee waived (because I told them thanks but its $20 cheaper elsewhere).

Um so after all that babble bottom line is do your research and go hunting. :)

Archived