Carnival's Dress Attire Rules ????

jtudds

Bottom line, the maitre d' and the hosts & hostesses have the final say on each ship. If you are dressed according to the dress code for that cruise line, you should be fine. If you're not, you could be refused entrance. Personally, I'm glad to see the staff enforcing the dress code. No, it doesn't ruin my dinner, but I've never been seated with people who choose to disregard the dress code either. Since there are other eating options on most ships, dressing for the dining room is optional, just as admittance is.Because we do not dress for dinner in our everyday lives, the dining room atmosphere is something we look forward to in cruising. If we did dress up normally, we would either look for lines where formal attire was completely optional (NCL) or a different kind of vacation.

I'm fired up today....sorry. My professional employees continue to dress down more and more each week. When they get to jeans with holes in them and tennis shoes, we have to pull the rope and reign them back to business casual. To my clients, that is disrespectful and sloppy laziness, pure and simple.

I don't understand the statement "am much more comfortable in jeans". What is so "uncomfortable" about a pair of trousers? Most often it appears to me that both men and women "stuff" their bodies into jeans that are undersized. The belly hangs over or sticks out. Now that would be "uncomfortable" in my book; give me some pleated trousers. I think it is just a lame excuse for being lazy, that's MHO. What's the big deal to put on some dress clothes for 2 hours to share the dinner experience with your fellow cruisers? So, wear the same trousers for a few dinners, who will know.

I'm starting to think the jeans haters have only seen the jeans the janitor wears, and have never seen anyone "stuff" themselves into polyester, plaid, or stretch cotton. Logically the association seems a bit of a leap of faith... Jeans = Slob, anything else = Elegant. Also seems to be an assertion that doesn't jive with the fashion community - seems designers have been promoting jeans for decades now.

Not that I expect to change anyone's mind, just curious about the whole idea... sorta like why people don't use their car's signal lights or why the slow drivers are always in the left lane. Questions that must stump psychologists daily.

So, does anyone know, why the aversion to jeans by what seems to be an outspoken minority (especially when discussing Carnival)?

"seems designers have been promoting jeans for decades now."

Oops, I'm out of touch, I thought "jeans" started out their history as being durable work clothes for those people heading out to settle the west.

Now, if you wear some $200 jeans with the "designers" name tattooed across the butt, then fine I guess. That way we will all know they are not from Tractor Supply and that you have "good" taste. I just try to be an independent thinker and not do what the "designers" want me to do. I do not wear clothes with someone else's name on them showing, unless they want to pay me for advertising.

Now tell me why a pair of jeans is more comfortable than some other clothes? Seems like those new, smart, "designer" jeans with rhinestones on them would be kind of stiff?

My adversion to jeans is that, some people wear the ones that look like the one's the janitor wears, to dinner. Because they are worn-in and "comfortable".

If you are sitting near me on formal night in jeans I will ask that you be removed - I have done it before and I will do it again.

If you do not want to follow the rules - eat somewhere else. Thank you.

Trust me, you wouldn't want to do that to someone like me. If I was asked to leave the dining room because my husband wasn't wearing a suit or tux, I would simply say --

"Fine, right after all the women wearing pants who aren't in cocktail dresses or evening gowns."

Why the discrimination against men?

Why not require the women to follow the dress code?

Why can women dress down and not men?

This has bothered me for quite a while. I see women looking really sloppy in baggy stretched out polyester elastic waist pants and the $10 Walmart sequined T-shirts allowed in when men in really nice clothes but not a suit are given strange looks.

I say enforce it completely. No women in less than dresses or gowns and no men in less than suits.

Or, knock off the double standard. right now, women can be comfortable skipping the pantyhose and dresses and heels, but men have to go the whole nine yards with no slack.

Why???

Hi, my wife and I are booked on a cruise for November this year on the Valor.

Can anyone advise on Carnival's dress rules and especially policy on jeans?

Reason i ask is, i'm not a great suit lover, and am much more comfortable in jeans and a shirt. Can these be worn for dinner, or is it strictly trousers and shirt? If so, looks like i'm going to have to go shopping for some trousers and gear, unfortunately that i'll probably end up never wearing again after.

May i also just add, i do wear smart jeans, i'm not just a scruff that won't wear trousers, i'm just not comfortable in them.

Thanks for any advice and experience.

My husband takes 2 pair of slacks, Docker style or a little dressier, with 3 or 4 shirts to go with. Most of the time, he can wear each pair twice without laundering in between. We do use the services of the onboard dry cleaning/laundry, so he can re-wear the same 2 pair all week. He has more than that, we just find it a better packing solution than to pack a pair for every night. While cleaning does cost a bit, it is certainly cheaper than buying new clothes. He takes one dark suit, one white dress shirt and 2 ties.

I do the same (the horror re-wearing clothes!). But, we've been on 12 cruises to date and never have I had anyone approach me and say they notice I'm wearing the same black pants I had on 2 nights ago. I'll even wear the same thing to dinner the first and last nights, as well as the same clothes to disembark that I got on the ship in the first place. I'm so over over-packing and having cute little shoes to go with each outfit.

We've learned the expensive way not to go out and buy "cruise clothes", you never wear them again and when the next cruise comes along, they don't look so good anymore. So, with the exception of a couple pair of nice slacks, you probably can wear what you already have.

People can argue till the cows come home regarding the jeans issue (and they do here, year after year after year), but they really do look tacky in a nice dining room in the evening. Jeans are day wear, you're more than welcome to have them on any other time.

Oops, I'm out of touch, I thought "jeans" started out their history as being durable work clothes for those people heading out to settle the west.

Sure, a long time ago... when women didn't vote or even wear "slacks", people were allowed to own other people, engines only had one horsepower, and you were bound to track some of their "exhaust" into the dining room on your boots... and most people only used soap and dressed up one day of the week. I'm sure we're all happy about the progress that's been made.

You really can't be that old...

My adversion to jeans is that, some people wear the ones that look like the one's the janitor wears, to dinner. Because they are worn-in and "comfortable".

And only jeans get "worn-in"? I'm sure "some" people do lots of annoying things, some which fall outside of the cruise guidelines or rules, and some which don't. Some folks have an aversion to overstretched stretch fabrics, but Carnival doesn't ban Lycra either.

Archived