Grand Cayman Island Excurison (1st cruise)

BeachTeach

This is the first cruise my husband and I are ever going on. I really don’t know what to expect but for lots of fun! My question is about excursions. I do want to book it through Carnival. Maybe on the next cruise I seek out other companies. We are going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. In Grand Cayman we want to do a FUN excursion. In Cozumel we would like to spend the day at Paradise Beach. Ok here are my choices for Grand Cayman excursions. Let know what you think or your experiences. I would love to hear your thoughts because I don’t have much to go on and you all are so helpful!!!

1. Allura Catamaran Sail To Stingray City Sandbar

• Take a short transfer to the Cayman Island Yacht Club.
  • Board the amazing spacious and comfortable Allura catamaran.
  • Sail the beautiful waters of the North Sound to the stingray sandbar.
  • Snorkel, feed and interact with dozens of Southern stingrays. The stingrays literally eat out of your hand!
  • Have plenty of photo opportunities before hoisting the sails and returning to the yacht club.

2. Coral Reef & Stingray Safari

• Take an approximate 15-minute scenic ride to the docks.
  • Board a 45-foot double-decker boat for your ride through the beautiful North Sound.
  • Stop over the Coral Gardens Reef formation, where the water is about 8 – 10 feet deep.
  • Feel like you are snorkeling inside an aquarium.
  • Travel 10 minutes to Stingray City.
  • Arrive at the Sandbar and get up close and personal as the stingrays swim around.

3. Stingray City & Island Tour

• Travel the length of 7-Mile Beach and view the miles of white sandy beach and crystal clear blue waters.
  • Experience a guided tour of the Turtle Farm; one of only a few turtle conservation centers in the world, home for the smallest hatchling to some of the largest sea turtles in the world.
  • Be taken to what is known as Hell; an area of exposed rocks, locally termed the Town of Hell because of the lack of life truly portrays what most of us would perceive Hell to look like.
  • Relax on the boat ride out to Stingray City Sandbar where you can stand in the shallow waters, as you swim or snorkel, feed, pet and hold the friendly stingrays.
  • Be provided snorkel equipment and food for the stingrays at no extra cost.
  • Enjoy our complimentary drinks including rum punch and listen to great Caribbean music on your return.

4. Stingray Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Extravaganza

On this excursion you will:

• Take a short transfer to the Sundancer dock. Board a snorkel vessel and head out to the world famous Stingray Sandbar.
  • Receive your snorkel gear and safety briefing from your guides.
  • Enter the waist deep water to interact with the stingrays. Enjoy approximately one hour in the water with the friendly stingrays.
  • Board your vessel and head to Rum Point Beach.
  • Enjoy the beach, play some volleyball or take a dip in the crystal clear water.
  • Enjoy Rum Point’s complimentary iced tea and water, or the local bars and restaurants at your own expense.
  • Spend approximately one hour at the beach before the journey back to your ship.

5. Stingray Sandbar, Hell & Turtle Farm Experience

Visit world famous 7-mile beach and the old Homestead for a photo stop.

• Tour the Turtle Farm, a one of a kind facility that is home to thousands of turtles.
  • Arrive at the town called Hell, featuring a pre-historical rock formation that some think hell must surely look like.
  • Stop at Stingray City for a boat ride out to the Sand Bar.
  • Hold, pet and feed the stingrays in shallow waters (3 – 4 feet).

Thank you Thank you Thank you

BeachTeach,

I know you said that you'd rather book through Carnival, but I really want to suggest booking with Captain Marvin's (http://www.captainmarvins.com/). The first time we went to GC, we used them and were completely satisfied. We were totally safe, and the price just could not be beat. Plus, the tours are less crowded and generally longer. They can do just about everything you've listed here. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you just might want to consider it.

Now, as for the Carnival excursions, Stingray City and the Coral Gardens are great. The statement that you will feel like you are snorkeling inside an acquarium is a really good one. I really loved snorkeling there.

Stingray City is also pretty dang cool too.

Either way, GC has been my favorite stop to date. I think in a year or two we're going to use our timeshare and stay for a full week.

I'd do your second choice. The stingrays are not to be missed.

When I was there we did the Stingray, Hell, Turtle Farm deal and while it was interesting I wouldn't do it again, except for the rays. You only get 15 minutes in Hell. That's enough time for a few pics but not enough for the gift shop. It's a very small place and many people have commented that it's not worth bothering with. I'm glad I went, just not enough time. The Turtle Farm sounds really great but it's just huge outdoor tanks with hundred of turtles in them. Then you cross the street to where the baby turtles are, very cute, and a tank with dinner plate sized turtles that you can hold. They also have a gift shop and are next door to a Tortuga Rum Cake factory.

Whatever you choose, include the stingrays! :)

I have to agree with MickeyP, it will be about 50% cheaper to book on line with a private company or to wait intil you get to the island, there will be plenty of private tour companies at the pier that will take you to the exact same locations for 1/2 price. These private tour companies are very experienced with tourists and know what time they have to be back to the ship (their jobs depend on it)

Last trip to GC, we found a tour guide at the pier, he took us to Sting Ray City, Coral Gardens snorkeling and then to Rum Point, if you chose not to go to Rum Point, than they would take you back to the pier, we payed $30pp, the groups are alot smaller than the ships excursions that pack you in like sardines..

Note:

ON all the Sting Ray City tour, you interact and feed the Rays.

I notice not all of the excursions stated that.

I will also add my 2 cents worth. I know that none of us have answered your direct question, but I have to agree with everyone here. Do not bother with the ship's excursion in Grand Cayman. There are many VERY PROFESSIONAL private companies that are extremely experienced at doing this everday. Everyone will have a different opinion as to who they prefer. I personally have had experience on the Buccaneer and was very happy, but they are all good. Definately go to StingRay City, but do a private tour. FWIW

Archived