Help-Never Cruise before

AK Newbie

We have never cruised before-late 40's, want to do an Alaska cruise 2007 early june. Greatly interested in Denali. Thinking about HAL Cruisetour #26 Double Denali and Discovery Cruise (11 days-7 days cruising). Maybe we should just do a 7 day cruise instead? (one of us is really cheap......but has decided that life is too short and want to visit AK) HELP any practical advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

I personally have not taken the AK cruise but a very good friend of mine has and she told me a couple of things that they did and wished that they had done...

They did a cruise tour with RCCL. They did the cruise part first and the hotel stays last. She told me that she would definately would have done the land days at the beginning of the trip and the cruise last because they got so pampered by the cruise the hotel stays seemed to be a let down (not that they didn't love it anyway). Also, she highly suggests going salmon fishing. They didn't go (neither of them are fisher people), but most of the others they talked to on their Denali trip says it was a great time and you can have your salmon either canned or smoked and sent back home.

I this helps somewhat.

We have never cruised before-late 40's, want to do an Alaska cruise 2007 early june. Greatly interested in Denali. Thinking about HAL Cruisetour #26 Double Denali and Discovery Cruise (11 days-7 days cruising). Maybe we should just do a 7 day cruise instead? (one of us is really cheap......but has decided that life is too short and want to visit AK) HELP any practical advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

I suggest you post your questions on the Alaska board (under Ports of Call). There are many experienced Alaska cruisers and several people who live in Alaska who frequent that board and will happily answer your questions. Also, just reading through the threads there, you'll get a good a idea of which excursions are "must dos."

We cruised Alaska in 2001 and can't wait for our second Alaska cruise in August. As Rabelgirls said, Alaska is a great place to go salmon fishing. I fished out of Ketchikan last time and had a blast, but I do love to fish! I don't know that it would have been very enjoyable for someone who doesn't fish--it was rainy and cold and definitely all about the fishing. If I didn't already enjoy fishing, I would have been miserable!

The one thing we didn't do and feel we really missed out on was either a helicopter or floatplane flight over the glaciers. That's at the top of our list this time--either one is an expensive excursion, but I've heard it's well worth the money.

I'd encourage you to take a land tour as well rather than "just the cruise." We didn't last time and are really looking forward to it this year. It's a long way to go and there's so much to see that if you can afford the time and money, spend a few days in Alaska before or after your cruise--it's breathtakingly beautiful!

We're flying into Alaska a few days before out southbound cruise--flying is difficult for both DH and me (he's 6'4" and I'm 6') so we want to get the long flight out of the way before we go. We're not going to Denali, but will spend our few days prior to the cruise most likely split between Anchorage and Seward. We're planning on taking either the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward or the Prince William Sound tour out of Whittier before we sail. I've read on the Alaska board that the Kenai Fjords tour focuses more on wildlife and the PWS tour on glaciers.

Take a look at what excursions are available on your cruiseline's Web site to get an idea of what you're interested in and check out the Alaska board to get answers to your questions.

Good luck with your planning and have a wonderful first cruise!!

Jayne

:)

We did this in 2005 on the Veendam. Fabulous! Don't shortchange yourself by only doing half of it. Denali is definitely worth seeing at least once. Just do the tour first as you will be ready for a rest. Also make sure you get a port side balcony at minimum if it's a southbound cruise. If there is anyway for you to arrange a stay at Alyeska Do it!:)

Now I'm envious:cool:

Good advice to go to the Alaska Cruise board. Get the advice of layered clothing etc.

BTW- be sure and always ask for the exit row on the aircraft. I have tried many times to get it ahead of time and only successful once. They must have forgot to block it on the web seat selection site. When I see people in the exit row I ask if they requested it and they have in the past said no, after I had begged for it. They were smaller than me. However I am only 6' and would have to derfer to 6'4".

If it is blocked to the Travel Agent and online, just ask whenever you check in. Just don't get in the seats just in front of the exit row since they don't usually recline.

You are correct about the Float plane and helicopter trips. We did the dog sled on a glacier after getting there on the helicpoter. I don't think the dogsled was worth the extra money and would recommend just a helicopter with landiing on a glacier and then fly back.

The float plane should be out of Ketchikan to Misty Fjords landing on a lake.

The pilot backs the plane up to get you on land and visit with the giant mosquitoes.

Hello AK Newbie, We are in our 40's and did our first ever cruise to Alaska last year in August. It's never too late to start cruiseing. It was 11 days of pure enjoyment. I would recommend, if you can afford it, to get a balcony to enjoy the beautiful scenery. We booked an oceanview and had to join the crowded decks for the more popular views. ie Hubbard Glacier etc, Also, I think you may want to prioritize the itinerary over the cruiseline if it makes a big difference to you. Excursions are pricey in Alaska. Choose what you want to do carefully if money is tight. Example... Tour bus ride from Whittier to Anchorage $99.00 pp R/T ouch! The wildlife views are free. lol We saw bald eagles, bear, salmon, whales, seals & sea lions. Juneau and Ketchekan were our favorite ports and would have loved to spend additional time there. Alaska is truely unique! Bring binoculors!

Vince

BTW- be sure and always ask for the exit row on the aircraft.

We always try! We both have serious back issues as well--not uncommon for tall people--so flights are just hard. I'm heading to Beijing in April for a business trip and not looking forward to the 11.5-hour flight! But, at least it'll be on a 747, which I understand has a few inches more leg room than most aircraft used for domestic flights.

You are correct about the Float plane and helicopter trips. We did the dog sled on a glacier after getting there on the helicpoter. I don't think the dogsled was worth the extra money and would recommend just a helicopter with landiing on a glacier and then fly back.

The float plane should be out of Ketchikan to Misty Fjords landing on a lake.

The pilot backs the plane up to get you on land and visit with the giant mosquitoes.

Thanks for the advice on this one. I've been debating whether to do the helicopter landing with dog sledding, but it is SO expensive! I'm thinking we'll look at the float plane trip over Misty Fjords. Sounds fabulous!

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

Archived