Driving all the way around Hana

cruisepal48

Hi all,

I have the revealed books and they say you can go all the way around. I'm going to be there on the POH cruise that leaves march 12. I am renting a car and I plan to go to Hana the 1st day so I don't need to worry about time. What I want to know is if any of you have gone all the way around recently and how was it?? Thanks:o

Hi all,

I have the revealed books and they say you can go all the way around. I'm going to be there on the POH cruise that leaves march 12. I am renting a car and I plan to go to Hana the 1st day so I don't need to worry about time. What I want to know is if any of you have gone all the way around recently and how was it?? Thanks:o

It is possible to drive around Hana but the car rental agencies tell you that you cannot take their cars that way. If you do and something happens you are at risk. Many people to it, I would not make that drive in a rental car.

It is possible to drive around Hana but the car rental agencies tell you that you cannot take their cars that way. If you do and something happens you are at risk. Many people to it, I would not make that drive in a rental car.

The Road is fine, I have done the circle twice, you'll be rewarded with great views of the Ocean and the back side of Haleakala. The terain starts to look like your on the moon.

The rental car agencies also forbide you to drive Saddle Road to Hilo on the Big Island and the road is paved and fine.

We were there last week and you still cannot drive all the way around due to the earthquake that hit a couple of months ago. You can go a few{maybe 14}miles past Hana then have to turn around.

Yes you cannot drive on the saddle road on Hawaii -- there are many places on the islands that the rental company forbids taking their cars beacuse you can do it does not make it right. I am of the generation that when a signed contract and agreements meant something then that is what I meant and planned to follow. I would never take the rental car to those areas that I agreed not to take them.

I am of the generation that when a signed contract and agreements meant something then that is what I meant and planned to follow.

I've never had to sign anything that specifically excluded those roads. The first time on the big island they did have a stamp they put on teh outside of the rental packet, the second time I don't remember any mention at all of them. On Maui, the rental care place never said anything about the road on the southeastern side of the island.

Of the four various supposedly banned roads, the only real one that's a somewhat reasonable restriction is waipo valley. Heck, the eastern side of saddle road was in better shape than most of the rest of the roads on the island last time I was there (it had been relatively freshly paved at that point).

The southeastern side of Maui is dirt, which depending on how you interpret the rental car agreements may be off limits because of that. Otherwise there's no good reason for it (although if it's still closed because of earthquake damage, the point is moot anyways).

They key things to remember if you drive roads the rental company may prohibit is that a) any insurance you purchased from them is going to be void and b) they aren't going to help you if you get stuck (which wouldn't be a problem anyways). If you're not comfortable with that, then don't drive them. (Course, I've got a few roads in the Detroit area I'd say are worse than any of those (except waipo)).

Yes you cannot drive on the saddle road on Hawaii -- there are many places on the islands that the rental company forbids taking their cars beacuse you can do it does not make it right. I am of the generation that when a signed contract and agreements meant something then that is what I meant and planned to follow. I would never take the rental car to those areas that I agreed not to take them.

I have Personal Auto Insurance Coverage for Rental Cars, this simply means I (Me, Myself, No One Else) is taking Financial Responsibility for my decisions.

I have gone all the way around twice. There was nothing in the rental car contract that said anything about it being forbidden, nor was it implied by the rental representative. I would go all the way around if you want to, but if you choose not to, it is easy to get to 7-pools.

We visited the Big Island last January, and Maui a couple year earlier and our car rContract did not have any restrictions. For those of you that are familiar with Avis' Contracts they are the same postcard-style that they use everywhere else.

Without any restrictions, we decided to take the "Saddle Road" for a ride. We went about 2/3ths of the way then turned around due to fog and rain (really could not see much at that point). In any case, I didn't think Saddle Road was that bad. Just had to watch for all the potholes. If it had not been for all the bad stuff I had read about it before hand, I really don't think I would have thought anything about it. Very interesting drive.

We were there last week and you still cannot drive all the way around due to the earthquake that hit a couple of months ago. You can go a few{maybe 14}miles past Hana then have to turn around.

Well I have 1 1/2 months until I go so unless they fix it by March 12th I won't be going all the way. Did anybody hear about them fixing the road. How long would it take to drive there and then drive back. Is there some place to look it up? Oh well:confused: Thanks for all your replies.

Well I have 1 1/2 months until I go so unless they fix it by March 12th I won't be going all the way. Did anybody hear about them fixing the road. How long would it take to drive there and then drive back. Is there some place to look it up? Oh well:confused: Thanks for all your replies.

I found this article while searching the Web for this subject, apparently the road is OK, it's the possibility of avalanches from the mountain that has Maui County concerned.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/25/news/story08.html

<H1>Maui roadblock angers residents

The closure cuts off about 80 people from the rest of the island

Associated Press

KIPAHULU, Maui » East Maui residents are outraged that Maui County -- citing the increased threat of rockfalls off a cliffside made unstable by earthquakes two months ago -- has blocked off a portion of coastal highway, cutting about 80 people off from the rest of the island.

Maui Civil Defense Administrator Gen Iinuma said the earthquakes caused significant fracturing of rock faces above the road, which drivers cannot see and which requires that the road be officially closed for safety reasons.

"We need our road back now," said Chuck Boerner, a Kipahulu resident and owner of Ono Organic Farms.

Boerner said he has traveled Piilani Highway for his farming business four times each week for a decade -- a trip that occasionally required him to remove rocks from the road.

But he said he had to move just one rock from the road since the magnitude-6.7 and 6.0 earthquakes Oct. 15.

"This tells me that things are normal and that things are just as dangerous as before," he said.

The county erected concrete barriers to block off parts of Piilani Highway on Dec. 4 -- the same day a quake-damaged bridge connecting the coastal highway further north to Hana was reopened.

On Tuesday county officials announced they had received a report from Geolabs-Hawaii, which was hired to inspect the stability of the cliffs above the roadway.

Iinuma said he is now waiting for additional reports, including archeologists seeking to determine whether there are cultural sites in the area, before officials decide how they will stabilize the cliffs.

"We have this one report, and we're seeking out others to get a better assessment of the situation," he said. "We still need to get information on whether the areas affected hold any cultural or historical significance."

Iinuma said about 80 full-time residents live in the region. Some continue to use the road, crossing the barricades on foot.

Dino Akina of Kaupo said the closure has made it tough for locals to find enough fuel for their vehicles, water and some kinds of food.

The road has always been dangerous, and hazardous conditions are just "a part of life" for East Maui residents, he said.

"As far as I'm concerned, I wish they would just let us go and take our own chances," he said.

</H1>

Thanks Badger,

I'll keep checking back until my cruise ans perhaps I will be able to drive around. I sure would love to do it. Anyhow I also have my own auto insurance which will cover me with rental cars as I called and asked. The revealed books said that this road was regularly maintained. :D

My kids feel the same way as you. It must be a generational thing.

In writing or implied to us it is a violation. Thus I would not drive the roads where by contract or implied the rental company does not allow us to drive. There property thus I must respect.

I guess for me it's just that I find that the rule is arbitrary, and is a legacy of times when these roads were far worse than they are now. I also recognize that my insurance is what's going to be stuck with the bill if I break something (which is going to be true regardless, since I don't take the rental car companies insurance).

As I said though, the rental car company never said anything about the road on Maui to me, and last time I was on the big island I don't remember them saying anything about the roads there either. Besides, the companies know people do this, they're just covering themselves. After all, they'll also rent you a four-wheel drive vehicle, and tell you not to take them off-road (of course, I think there you can get into a discussion about what constitutes a road).

The Road is fine, I have done the circle twice, you'll be rewarded with great views of the Ocean and the back side of Haleakala. The terain starts to look like your on the moon.

The rental car agencies also forbide you to drive Saddle Road to Hilo on the Big Island and the road is paved and fine.

True, Saddle Rd is in much better condition than it used to be, but that's not the only consideration. Besides being a 6 or 7 thousand foot climb/descent, the road kind of goes up and down in many places (like a little roller coaster). No problem, except that you'd better be aware that there are hazards such as "stealth" cows around that can cross the road at any time--right in front of your car as it crests a little hill. The cows basically have the right of way and are not fenced in/out. Think a deer is bad, try running into a full grown cow. There are also military vehicles sometimes; be prepared for those as well. Fog, especially at the highest portions, can make driving conditions difficult.

We drove Saddle Rd (Harper's rental) and had no problems. We came down from Mauna Kea after sunset, and you can bet that DH drove slowly and that we both had our eyes out for the unexpected.

Alamo, Avis, and Thrifty (the only companies we've rented from on the BI) all specifically exclude Saddle Rd and any off-road driving. It's in the long paragraphs of "fine print" in the contract. It does seem kind of odd to me that they would rent 4 w/d vehicles and still have that stipulation. Maybe it's because so many people don't know how to use a 4 w/d. In any case, I can sure see why the rental companies would have some issues with Saddle Rd, especially at night.

beachchick

Heed the words of Beachchick re the Saddle Road.

The problem with it is it's deceptive, in almost every way. On the map, it looks like it should be a lot faster than going up and over. It really isn't.

It's paved so it looks like you should go fast. But you can't.

It's not well traveled, so you think you can go fast. But you can't.

You think you can see all the oncoming traffic. But you can't.

It seems like a nice, wide, two lane road. But it isn't.

It's narrow, but the bright line down its center gives the illusion of normal width lanes. They aren't, in fact they're considerably narrower than you're used to. With no limit lines (the lines painted on the outside edges) it's a bit easier to go off the road.

the roller-coaster effect of the road can easily hide oncoming traffic, which has the uneasy tendency of driving pretty close to the middle of the road. So even if you're driving nice and slow, that's no guarantee that the other guy's gonna do it too.

And because there are no fences along the sides of most of it, cattle run freely. Weather can - and usually does - change dramatically. You'll be in fog for part of the way on most trips on it.

It's not that I never drive it. I do, mainly for the change of scenery. It's distinctly stark and sometimes lovely - the views of Mauna Kea are great, and it's the only access to the observatories. But I'm far less eager to urge people to go the Saddle Road than around the south side of Maui (whenever it reopens!). Yes, the Saddle Road is probably thought of as a better road, but the south Maui road simply isn't deceptive. It is what it is, and just about everyone drives it prudently. Not so Mr. Saddle.

True, Saddle Rd is in much better condition than it used to be, but that's not the only consideration. Besides being a 6 or 7 thousand foot climb/descent, the road kind of goes up and down in many places (like a little roller coaster). No problem, except that you'd better be aware that there are hazards such as "stealth" cows around that can cross the road at any time--right in front of your car as it crests a little hill. The cows basically have the right of way and are not fenced in/out. Think a deer is bad, try running into a full grown cow. There are also military vehicles sometimes; be prepared for those as well. Fog, especially at the highest portions, can make driving conditions difficult.

I guess my argument is that it's not really any different from roads that you can find all over the place that never get this special treatment from rental car companies. Deer or cow, neither one is going to agree with your car real well. The expressway not too far from here has had fog before that caused a 100+ car pileup. Oh, and yeah, the deer can run over that, so maybe the rental car companies should ban that one too? Heck, I came within feet of hitting a bear on a trip out west. Moral of the story is regardless of what road you drive, you have to be alert. Personally, from my experience I'd say saddle road is safer than driving in Manhatten.

Waipo valley road is something of a different beast. I've driven it, but I'm also comfortable driving a four wheel drive vehicle in low range. If you're not used to that, then you really don't have any business being there (and personally I'd say that applies regardless of whether you're driving a rental or not, although I have to admit, I was always amazed at just where some locals in Hawaii were able to get their standard sedan style cars). I did overhear when down there a group that sounded concerned because their brakes weren't doing good after they'd gotten down (in an suv, so they obviously don't know how to drive it).

Now, I'm certainly not saying that everyone should run out and drive these roads. Educate yourself on the conditions, and weigh that against how comfortable you are driving that aren't "normal" style roads. Understand any implications it might have on any insurance that you took out from the rental car company, and decide whether you're comfortable with the idea that you may have to find a way to get the car out of there at your own expense (which can be great depending on where you are).

And keep in mind, if you follow the letter of the contract the rental car company makes you sign, ANY dirt road you drive down might be in violation of that contract, regardless of how well it's maintained.

For those who want to violate the terms of their rental contracts all I can say is go for it.... However in the unfortunate event something happens I hope that anyone who does violate these terms is willing to take absolute 100% full responsibility and be accountable for their actions and not place any blame on any other event (after all no event would have happened if they were not on the road in violation). Of course from experience most people will try to find loop holes or argue that it is a stupid contract and it should have no standing.

Because other states and locals don't put such restrictions on the rental of their vehicles as Hawaii doesn't make it wrong in Hawaii -- their ball and they can play with how they like. Hawaii is Hawaii and that is what make it unique -- It doesn't necessarily follow the rules of the other states.

A point of interest -- some people say they have car insurance that covers them while driving a rental car -- many of us do but the question is will your car company cover if you are in violation of the rental contract? If they say yes I would get it in writing....

Beachchic is right on in her evaluation and reporting of the wording in the contracts she should be listened to.

I guess my argument is that it's not really any different from roads that you can find all over the place that never get this special treatment from rental car companies. Deer or cow, neither one is going to agree with your car real well. The expressway not too far from here has had fog before that caused a 100+ car pileup. Oh, and yeah, the deer can run over that, so maybe the rental car companies should ban that one too? Heck, I came within feet of hitting a bear on a trip out west. Moral of the story is regardless of what road you drive, you have to be alert. Personally, from my experience I'd say saddle road is safer than driving in Manhatten.

Waipo valley road is something of a different beast. I've driven it, but I'm also comfortable driving a four wheel drive vehicle in low range. If you're not used to that, then you really don't have any business being there (and personally I'd say that applies regardless of whether you're driving a rental or not, although I have to admit, I was always amazed at just where some locals in Hawaii were able to get their standard sedan style cars). I did overhear when down there a group that sounded concerned because their brakes weren't doing good after they'd gotten down (in an suv, so they obviously don't know how to drive it).

Now, I'm certainly not saying that everyone should run out and drive these roads. Educate yourself on the conditions, and weigh that against how comfortable you are driving that aren't "normal" style roads. Understand any implications it might have on any insurance that you took out from the rental car company, and decide whether you're comfortable with the idea that you may have to find a way to get the car out of there at your own expense (which can be great depending on where you are).

And keep in mind, if you follow the letter of the contract the rental car company makes you sign, ANY dirt road you drive down might be in violation of that contract, regardless of how well it's maintained.

I disagree. I think it is different from many other roads and requires a completely different mind set and driving style. sceptic has laid it out very well.

We've driven all over the country and in other countries. Saddle Rd. is quite different and more of a challenge.

beachchick

Archived