Star and infants

kdogg007

Hi all,

My wife and I and our 18 month old baby are about to sail on the Star (in less than a week). I've got a couple questions:

1) Do they allow infants in the specialty restaurants?

2) Do they charge the infant as a person?

PS...when is the lobster night?? :D

As long as the child dines from the children's menu there is no charge even in the speciality restaurants. However, if they dine from the surcharged speciality restaurant menu there is a charge. The children's menu is available in every restaurant. Lobster night is usually the first sea day night, but on a different night in Hawaii since there isn't a sea day night whatsoever.

Hi all,

My wife and I and our 18 month old baby are about to sail on the Star (in less than a week). I've got a couple questions:

I certainly hope not. :eek:

See my answer to #1 and you can likely guess my response for this one. ;)

I would really prefer to not have my wedding night dinner spoiled by a screaming baby at the next table and then have a breast whipped-out in front of God and everybody to quiet it.

Flame me all you want. That's my opinion and it's not going to change. :)

Holg, do you plan on having kids??? There is no reason why someone should not be allowed in the restaurants. They are paying customers just like you. Yes, I agree if the child is screaming, the parents should take the child outside the restaurant to calm him/her down.

kdogg007, yes, infants are allowed in the specialty restaurants. In Nov. my hubby and I and our then 16 month old went on the Star. We had a great time and everyone just loved our daughter. We had no complaints from anyone. By the way, they have a "under 2 room" set up for playtime. We spent quite a bit of time in there with our daughter You guys will have a blast. Don't worry about anything!

There is no reason why someone should not be allowed in the restaurants. They are paying customers just like you.

By that rationale people should be able to bring babies into Strip Clubs in Miami and Reefer Clubs in Amsterdam.

I certainly understand everyone not liking a crying baby when their out for dinner, but my god..........please lighten up! I'm sure this mother would take her baby out if crying constantly. This family has a right to go dining where ever she chooses. Cruises are for all families with no discrimination.

By that rationale people should be able to bring babies into Strip Clubs in Miami and Reefer Clubs in Amsterdam.

Are you KIDDING??? We are talking about EATING, not visiting strip clubs. Everone is entitled to their opinion, however, if you wanted a wedding/honeymoon with no kids, you should have not booked a cruise, which are very family oriented nowadays. There are a lot of adult only resorts out there you could have gone to. Anyway, I am not one to get into arguments so I won't discuss this anymore.

Hi all,

PS...when is the lobster night?? :D

My sister in law took her then 4 month old on the Star in 2005 and my other sister in law took her then 6 month old on the Dawn in 2006.

We went to specialty restaurants on both cruises and no one said a word. (of course, I'm glad Holg wasn't on those cruises:mad: ) In fact, I think we got better service with the babies with us. On the Dawn this year, the longest meal time that I had on the Dawn was the night our large group split up and I was with one of the small groups which didn't have the children. Perhaps they speed service knowing kids can get antsy.

And for Holg's benefit, on both trips when the children became fussy, one of the parents would take them out and walk with them to quiet them so not as to disturb others. On the Star one night, one of the female maitre'd's even asked if she could hold the baby for my sister in law so that she could eat. It was a great gesture!

I have found that many times, the babies are more quiet in restaurants than children ages 4-8. Of course, they are kids and they are welcome in the restaurants that I go to.

If you are looking for what the cruise line will charge you for the child to cruise: if they are under 2, they will only charge you port charges. (which were about $220 on both cruises.)

There is no reason to comment on Holg's stupid (and childish) opinion.

Holg's stupid

Since you're apparently from Ohio I will not report that. People have been kicked off this board for less. Have I gotten personal here? Nope.

Back on topic.

I applaud everyone who keeps the kids in-line no matter what technique they use. What makes me crazy are the parents who act deaf when the child is producing decible levels that I would not have thought were possilbe... wait a minute... maybe it's so loud they HAVE gone deaf from it. Sorry.... couldn't resist that one.

I would not say a word about a child/baby in the restaurant as long as the parents act responsibly.

Quiet Child= no problem

Screaming Child and parent does nothing= problem

Cheers,

I must agree with what others have said Holg. If you don't want to be around children there are better cruise lines. NCL attracts more children than others because it does not charge for children under 2. You just have to pay the taxes/port charges. A lot of people choose NCL for that reason. We are on the Dream next week because we got it so cheap but our main family cruise is on the Wind. We are in 5069 on the 24th of March and our son will be just about 2. Our last trip that we can take him on for free.

During the day we are very careful that he doesn't disturb others but I have found that at night it can be difficult to get him to stop crying. Hopefully the Dream and the Wind have more soundproofing than the Star did as he kept people awake in our neighbouring cabin...fortunately my parents on one side and inlaws on the other!

As for restricting breast feeding infants from strip clubs...I thought it was to prevent cruelty to children.

...If you don't want to be around children....

I REALLY don't mind kids. Kids are fun. Hell, I'm just a big kid myself. It just seems like a lot of parents are inconsiderate. It sounds like to you try TO be considerate. That's good because......

...We are in 5069 on the 24th of March

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! TOO ironic! I kid you not.... I'm in 5070! We can bang Morse code on back and forth on the wall! OK... tap-tap-BANG-tap-BANG= "Let's go get a beer!"

Actually Holg....we are not on that cruise. Thank goodness...I just can't imagine what it would be like having a cabin next to a newlywed couple. :) I just couldn't help myself after I saw previous post with your cabin number.

I hope you have a fantastic wedding and a great trip!

Ken.

Since you're apparently from Ohio I will not report that. People have been kicked off this board for less. Have I gotten personal here? Nope.

The problem is that you misquoted KeystoneCruiser. You took his words completely out of context. His entire statement was, "There is no reason to comment on Holg's stupid (and childish) opinion. [my bold]"

In other words, he wasn't calling you stupid (or childish); he was calling your opinion stupid. There's a big difference.

Since you're apparently from Ohio I will not report that.

Why is it that everyone thinks making snide remarks about the state I live in or the team I support will upset me? You can forget that ever working, although I am proud of my state and my teams, insults toward them are not worth getting in a huff about!!

Another childish remark though, you just re enforced my previous opinion. My nine year old doesn't even make fun of where people are from!

I certainly hope not. :eek:

See my answer to #1 and you can likely guess my response for this one. ;)

I would really prefer to not have my wedding night dinner spoiled by a screaming baby at the next table and then have a breast whipped-out in front of God and everybody to quiet it.

Flame me all you want. That's my opinion and it's not going to change. :)

Wow, I recall the OP asking for answers to a few questions, I didn't read the part where they asked for 'responses' or 'opinions'. And I certainly don't recall them specifically worried about what you 'preferred'. So what was your point in coming in here in the first place?

my 13 month old son has been on 2 cruises (jewel out of barvelona nad sun out of nola) and is headed on hte star in march (when are yoiu on the star?). we have gone to a specialty restaurant each time (just once but that was personal preference and not due to him).

We have gone on the early side (5:30-6) before it gets really crowded. We usually dine a bit later (7:30-8) but those two nights thought it would be best to get in and out early

The other nights we ate in the main didning rooms. Needless to say on the rare occasion he acted up (we are truly lucky he is very well behaved out ) we took him out of the restaurant.

The staff and the majority of the cruisers were wonderful with him and each time we had an absolute blast. Any questions and i'mm be happy to try to awnser :)

Although I don't mind children, I do mind parents who let their children misbehave and who think the world revolves around their offspring. You know who you are.

We've had the experience of babies in a hot tub, pre-teens riding the elevators and being obnoxious, and on our last cruise a couple with two young children who disrupted our dinner so badly we had to ask to be moved. It was interesting to watch how many more couples occupied our former table and how many minutes it took them to ask to be changed to another location.

I don't understand why you would want to bring babies and very young children on a cruise anyway.

Although I don't mind children, I do mind parents who let their children misbehave and who think the world revolves around their offspring. You know who you are.

We've had the experience of babies in a hot tub, pre-teens riding the elevators and being obnoxious, and on our last cruise a couple with two young children who disrupted our dinner so badly we had to ask to be moved. It was interesting to watch how many more couples occupied our former table and how many minutes it took them to ask to be changed to another location.

I don't understand why you would want to bring babies and very young children on a cruise anyway.

Thank You!

Why is it that everyone thinks making snide remarks about the state I live in or the team I support will upset me? You can forget that ever working, although I am proud of my state and my teams, insults toward them are not worth getting in a huff about!!

Another childish remark though, you just re enforced my previous opinion. My nine year old doesn't even make fun of where people are from!

Now wait just one danged minute.

Did I make fun of Ohio? Did I make fun of Ohio State?

For the record I'm from the Dayton area. I now live in North Carolina and I give crap to the people of NC all the time over the whole "First in Flight" thing.

Oh, I get it... I said "Since you're from Ohio" You took that as "Since you're from Ohio and therefore (some derogatory adjective)" when in fact what I meant was "You're from Ohio and therefore my 'homie' so I will be nice to you." Had you been from say, Michigan, then that would've been a different story.

Actually Holg....we are not on that cruise. Thank goodness...I just can't imagine what it would be like having a cabin next to a newlywed couple. :) I just couldn't help myself after I saw previous post with your cabin number.

I hope you have a fantastic wedding and a great trip!

Ken.

Ha ha you got me on that one. ;)

Now wait just one danged minute.

Did I make fun of Ohio? Did I make fun of Ohio State?

For the record I'm from the Dayton area. I now live in North Carolina and I give crap to the people of NC all the time over the whole "First in Flight" thing.

Oh, I get it... I said "Since you're from Ohio" You took that as "Since you're from Ohio and therefore (some derogatory adjective)" when in fact what I meant was "You're from Ohio and therefore my 'homie' so I will be nice to you." Had you been from say, Michigan, then that would've been a different story.

Holg: I apologize. There was another poster on here a couple of weeks ago who decided to make a snide remark about OSU thinking it would get me in a huff. It didn't work then. BTW: remember you are not alowed to say the "M" word while you are within Ohio borders....lol

Holg, You are going to love the fact that I am sailing the same dates you are and ironically right next door to you and I will be with 4 kids. Makes me laugh that I am going to be next to some honeymooning couple that doesn't have the patients for kids.

My kids are 10, 9, 6 and 1. You are going to love having my bickering family next to you and I do hope and I am sure you will be hearing us.

And I am one of those moms that would breast feed my son in public and I will on this ship too. But I would also take my kids out of a restaurant if they were crying, throwing a fit, or just being loud.

Archived