Glacier landing for Grandma??

4onvacation

My family is booked on an Alaskan cruise in July. My DH, DS (15), DD (8) all want to do a helicopter landing on a glacier. My mother, who will be 85, says she wants to do this too. She is in good health and walks fine on dry land, but I don't know about a glacier. For those of you who have done it, how treacherous is it?

We did this last summer. We and our boys, then 16 and 11, said it was the most fabulous thing we had ever done. The boys got to sit up front next to the pilot. What a view! We landed on fairly level surfaces and didn't notice it being too slick, just stepped carefully like you would on any snowy surface. The boys wore hiking boots, but I had on tennis shoes...no problem. You really don't have to walk much beyond the helicopter if you don't want to.

I think if you were right with her to lend support, she would be fine. As long as it's a glacier landing and not a glacier hike I think it would be OK. My parents did this also, and they are in their late 60's. No mobility problems and they thought it was fantastic, too.

My family is booked on an Alaskan cruise in July. My DH, DS (15), DD (8) all want to do a helicopter landing on a glacier. My mother, who will be 85, says she wants to do this too. She is in good health and walks fine on dry land, but I don't know about a glacier. For those of you who have done it, how treacherous is it?

We did the Helicopter Glacier Landing and walk in Juneau, with my wife and I was a Grandmother who was 82 taking her first Helicopter Ride. My wife and her joked around and she had the most amazing time, she was so happy.

Once you land on the Glacier you are fitted with boots with spikes to walk on the ice, very safe.

Archived