Just returned from Victory. What a dissapointment!

Aldeya

Victory - 4 nights to Canada from NY.

This is my 5th cruise (1st with Carnival). This was my parents first cruise ever.

My mother is not in good health, and required a wheelchair for getting on and off the ship. Wheelchair was provided and embarkation was a breeze.

The problems started when we got on the ship. Before booking this cruise I spent hours and hours on these boards, reading Victory reviews and tips. I booked a midship cabin, near the elevators, and close to the midship dining room - Atlantic.

When we got our Sail and Sign cards I found out that we are assigned to the Pacific dining room all the way back of the ship, 5:45 p.m. sitting.

I immediately went to the maitre d' of the Atlantic room named Drasko and asked if it's possible to change from Pacific to Atlantic dining room which is located midship.

He changed this but the sitting time was for 8:30 p.m. I explained to him that my mother is diabetic and can't eat so late. Her blood sugar can get dangerously high at night. He wasn't too pleased at my second request, and said that he has nothing at earlier sitting.

"We have a lot of kids on board, who need an earlier sitting time", was his reponse.

Then he said that he would put my request on some kind of waiting list, and that he would get back to us next morning in any case.

We NEVER heard from him again. (By the way on the last night he was the first standing at the entrance collecting envelopes with tips!).

I tried to speak with the assistant matre d', explained that my request is based on health reasons. The response:nothing they could do. Apparently diabetes was not serious enough reason for Carnival staff to accomodate a person.

My mother had a 8:30 p.m. dinner on the first night. As we expected her blood sugar got very high that night, so she never went to the dining room again for the rest of the cruise.

I know, I know, there are other dining oprions on the ship (which we did use). But because it was my parents first cruise ever my mother was looking forward to enjoy the dining room experience.

Not a chance according to Victory's matre d'.

Then another news. Before the cruise I looked throught Carnival website to make sure that Victory has the amentities we need. Again, I was trying to make sure that this cruise experience was a memorable and without any problems.

I booked a balcony cabin on Verandah deck. The amentities for a balcony cabin, according to the site, should include a refrigerator. It was extremely imprtant to us because my mother needed to store her diabetic supplies. Can you imagine my suprise when I did not find a fridge in the room.

I called a pursers desk and was told that the fridge should be PRE-ORDERED at the time of booking, because they have a limited supply of them!

Never heard of such a thing as pre-ordering a fridge for a balcony cabin (and this is my 5th cruise). Anyway, I tried to explain that we need a fridge not to store a booze . Anyway, after many calls back and forth I was told that they can give me one IF it will be available. We were the lucky ones, and they delivered a small fridge to the cabin after a few hours.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cruising, and as long as I'm on board of the cruise ship I'm happy. I'm not a picky cruiser, never complained about anything. But this cruise was an exeption.

I read on the boards that navigating this ship could be tricky because of the location of the galley in the middle of the ship. But I never saw so many frustrated people who were trying to find their dining room.

It got to the point that at the formal night dinner the maitre d' was explaining that he got many complaints from the passengers who couldn' find their way around. So if this is the case may be Carnival Victory staff should do something about this, except for the small sign at the dining room entrance.

We tried to make the best of this cruise, but the whole experience was a disaster to me. I know you could say I was upset because of the whole experience with my mother's accomodations. You bet I was!

I never saw such a luck of attention to the person with special needs like on this Carnival ship.

I always try not to judge the whole cruise line by one bad experience, but it will take a lot of time for me to book a cruise with Carnival again.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try my best to answer.

I'm sorry this cruise didn't meet your expectations. If you by chance do cruise again, I might suggest getting a small snack for your mother at the Lido Buffet in between lunch and dinner times. That's what we have to do because my SO has the same blood sugar issues. Believe me, the later sitting at dinner is better for Adults!

Thanks for sharing the tip about pre ordering the refrigerator as I thought you had to be in a suite to get a refrigerator. That's what I had on the Victory 2 years ago and was told that was a suite ammenity. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to order one now.

Once again, I'm so sorry about your cruise and the disappoinments.

Two items that caused you very understandable grief could have been headed off by an efficient travel agent.

One of the very first calls your TA should have made was to Carnivals Special Services Department who would have called you to make all the arrangements needed. We did a cruise right after DW had been diagnosed with cancer and they bent over backwards to do whatever they could to make her cruise enjoyable. Actually that call and some forethought would have taken care of your desire to be in the early Atlantic seating too.

Special Services can make that happen via the information your TA would provide.

With that not done though, you were at Drasko's mercy. Wrong roll of the dice. Of the two Maitre d''s on board (there's one for each dining room) he's the one that doesn't do miracles, Francesco in the Pacific walks on water.

But you didn't know that, nor should you have.

What you should have done and known to do from your many other cruises, though, was to memorize the deck plans. Thats basic stuff and critical on that ship. While on other ships and lines you may be able to successfully just wander around till you find something, the Victory has some hidden surprises that can be daunting if you don't know where you're going.

Still, as good of a job as you've done expressing your frustration and the logical reasons for it I don't think your cruise should have been a total disaster. If it was I think that's your fault.

I really think that the obstacles you came across could have been isolated and overcome, leaving you with a dang good chance to have the memorable vacation you wanted.

Sometime we've just gotta take control ourselves

I hope your mother's health is ok and that you get a chance to try again someday

Sorry things didn't go well, but I don't understand why you didn't stick with the early seating in the Pacific dining room. Wasn't eating early in some dining room more important than which specific dining room. :confused:

Sorry for your problems, wish every cruise could be problem free. My mother travels with me quite often and is also diabetic. When we know we'll be eating later, she makes sure she grabs a piece of pizza, half sandwich or something to tide her over. She would never just not eat and try to wait till the late dining time. Is your mother a newly diagnosed diabetic? Also, as for the fridge, we always call ahead, whether it be on a ship or a land hotel. Better safe than sorry! Hope your next trip is a better one!

The dining room doesn't make sense to me either. If having an early dining time was of critical importance to her health, why would you give up the early seating in the other dining room?

I just got back from the Conquest and I loved dining in the back--great views. And if anything, being in back makes it easier to find the dining room--go all the way back and take the last elevator down to the floor you dine on.

Hi Aldeya. I don't know in which manner you booked your cruise, but your agent should have asked if there were any special requirements for the cruise. Merely looking on the website for amenities obviously didn't cut it. You could have called Carnival's Special Services Dept. for answers to any questions you might have had (refrigerator, etc.)...

For instance, every time I book a cruise, my Carnival PVP asks:

Is there any special occasion?

Are there any special services needed?

Any dietary requirements?

OK, there you have it. Somebody sat down on their job.

You had midship cabins, and I understand your not wanting to go to the very back of the ship to that dining room (I guess because of the wheelchair?); however, it's not like having to go the full length of the ship, and at least you would have had the early dining time.

As far as not finding your way around the ship, there are DIAGRAMS of the ship in all cabins. One of you could have carried the diagram around with you.

I'm sure there are lots of things you would have done differently prior to the actual cruise - like tending to all these details - but at least you will know for a future cruise......on whatever line you choose.

I hope your parents enjoyed their cruise, even through all the inconveniences.:)

Thank you for all your responses.

I did mention my mother's special needs to the TA, and I did call the Carnival Special Services. (I knew to do this thanks to these great boards).

I chose this specific cabin on Verandah deck because it was right by the elevators, and just 5 decks down to the entrance of the Atlantic dining room.

I didn't mention this before but I think I need this to clarify my choice. My mother is in her mid-60s, She got really ill recently, and it was the FIRST time she had to use a wheelchair to move around. It was so hard on her emotionally that she was crying during the embarkation.

She can still move around but for a short time, and it's difficult to stand for more than 15 min.

It was extremely important to her emotionally that she could walk to the dining room on her own without using a wheelchair. That's why I spent so much time studying ship's layout, trying to choose the right cabin. There is no way she could walk to the Pacific dining room that's why I requested to change to the Atlatic.

Sorry if my original post sound like a whining. It was not my intention at all. I just wanted to make this cruise as much enjoyable for my parents as I could.

All I asked was to change the place and the time for dinner based on my mother's needs and health reasons.

Sounds like your mother has really had a rough time of it lately. I hope the cruise ultimately helped your mom with her health problems and didn't make things worse for her.

As a nursing instructor I'd like to offer some help regarding the refrigerator issue. You haven't said what diabetic supplies needed to be kept refrigerated, but I'm assuming that they included insulin. I know most patients are taught to keep their insulin in a refrigerator, but it really is not necessary in all cases. Open vials of most insulins are stable for up to 28 days if they are kept away from light and heat, and kept in a cool place.....which manufacturers describe as 86 degrees F or less. Room temperature, away from direct heat and light, is fine for storage. Just a little tidbit to help you with any future travel plans your mom may have... ;)

PS.....If stored in a refrigerator, make sure the insulin is not cold when it's injected. Insulin injected at room temperature allows for better absorption.

About the dining room....... we never get the right table or dining room we want. I went on a cruise two weeks ago and we got deck 3 for a dinning room and we wantted deck 5 because our cabin was on deck 10. We also got put on a waiting list and we were the FIRST one on the waiting list. We didn't get a very good table but we got deck 5. I have never heard about not having a fridge but i guess there is a first time for everything. We couldn't find the safe at first but found out they moved it to a different spot.

Hmm....... well i'm sorry your cruise didn't turn out that good. It can be frustrating............ but once you are on a cruise ship and want to switch something like a dining room table....... it is basically all token. Well, i hope your next cruise turns out better. :)

I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't work out as you had hoped. I'm sure you wanted it to be a special vacation for your parents, and it sounds like it fell short. You didn't mention whether or not your parents enjoyed it.

I just have one question, from a medical standpoint. I can certainly understand your desire for a particular dining time because of your Mom's diabetes. But I'm not sure why her blood sugar would go higher if she had to eat later. Normally, if she takes her insulin at a preset time (which most diabetics do), and then waited too long to eat, her blood sugar would go lower. I'm not sure why your Mom's would go higher. The other thing you could have possibly done (I know, hindsight is 20/20) is change the time of her insulin to accomodate her dining schedule. If she was holding off giving herself her insulin because of a later dining schedule, maybe she could have still taken her insulin at the regular time and had a snack to keep her blood sugar under control.

Of course, not knowing your Mom's insulin schedule, all of the above is conjecture.

I would certainly write a letter to Carnival voicing your complaints. They will probably give you a letter entitling you to 15% off a future cruise. If they do, maybe you can give Carnival another try and it'll be a better experience.

Archived