Dawn Jan 18-28 Review LONG

Wanderlust30

Embarkation

My husband’s Aunt dropped us off at the terminal and there were porters right at the curb to take our luggage. Then we went inside the terminal. We waited in line for about one hour. Over all the embarkation process was fairly efficient but there was room for improvement.

Room

Our room was ready for us as soon as we got on board. We were in 5080, an outside stateroom. The room was small, as all basic inside/outside staterooms are, but I found that it was particular well laid-out. I was a 10-day cruise and my husband and I both tend to be over-packers and we had plenty of drawer and hanging to spare.

One thing that did surprise me, we have been on cruises with RCCL and X before but this was our first NCL, on all of our previous cruises the stateroom attendant has introduced him/herself and been quite friendly. This cruise the stateroom attendance(s) never introduced themselves and at one point in my husband and I needed in our stateroom while they were cleaning it and they would not let us in. On our other cruise, the stateroom attendant would clear out if you wanted it you room.

Dining

We made reservation for Cagney’s and Le Bistro on Embarkation day and ate there on the first and second full days of the cruise. We made all of our reservations a 6:00 to take advantage of the “2 for 1”.

Cagney’s – Cagney’s was very nice. My husband and I both had the fillet. I had my with mashed potatoes, which were very tasty. The ambience was very nice and the service was good.

LeBistro – LeBistro is very small. The couple next to us was so close it felt like we were sharing a table. I think I had some kind of fish, it wasn’t very memorable, but the French onion soup was quite good. For dessert we had the famous chocolate fondue. It was delicious, and I am pleased to say I did not get it on me (the same can’t be said for the tablecloth.)

Impressions (Main Dining Room) – We ate in Impressions twice during this cruise and it was by far our favorite of the main dining rooms. It is much quieter and I found the service to be much better.

Aqua (Main Dining Room) – There isn’t much to say about this. The décor is nice, but it is a bit loud. We like this better than the Venetian, but not as much as Impression.

Venetians (Main Dining Room) – Very Loud, very crowded, only ate dinner here once. (More about this “lovely” dinner below). I thought the lunch and breakfasts in Venetian were nothing to write home about.

Blue Lagoon – For some reason me husband liked to get snacks at the Blue Lagoon. I didn’t think the food was very good, except for the French Fries which were quite good. My husband liked the buffalo wings.

The Garden Café - Buffet = Chaos. It seemed like there was never an enough tables. It was always crowded and full of kids, but I would rather see the kids at the buffet then the restaurant. The food was okay, for buffet food. Lunches were above average in my opinion.

Binimi Grill – Hot Dogs, Hamburgers and French Fries by the pool. Good, quick, convenient.

Pool Cook-outs - The food was good. There was always a line, but worth the wait.

LaTrattoria - The service at LaTrattoria was slow. I suspect that they were bringing the food up from the sixth floor. Pizza and Pasta were good.

Salsa - I didn’t really like Salsa but my husband did. I am not a big fan of Mexican food so I won’t comment on this.

Bamboo -- This cruise was to celebrate my 30th b-day. My wonderful husband decided to surprises me with the cake and singing the night we ate at Bamboo. Apparently the staff of Bamboo is not familiar with the concept of a surprise. First, when we arrived “B-DAY” was written in big letters next to our name on the reservation. At this point the surprise was blown but I didn’t say anything because I knew my husband put a lot thought into this, I would just act surprised. Well, near the end of our dinner the waiter comes up and asks “Are you celebrating this evening?” Surprise gone! When just to put the cherry on it, he comes back later and asks my name so they can sing. I felt really bad because my husband really wanted to surprise me.

Pool

The pool area is way too small and the pool and hot tubs are dominated by children (more on this later). On the good weather sea days, it was very difficult to get a seat.

Entertainment

The entertainment on this cruise was the best on any cruise I had been on. There was a juggler Ramono Fredieani (sp?), he was great very good, unique and funny. Don Ware was very funny, but maybe a little too much audience participation. Gleason Magic was good (I am not a big fan of magic) The Jean Ann Ryan company was good, especially “Bollywood”. Eddie Holman (R&B singer) was also quite good. There were also many shows to enjoy. There was always a good show in the evening, plus usually a late night show and interesting class-like shows during at sea days. My one complaint was that the theatre was too small and very crowded, as was the Spinnaker for the late night shows.

CHILDREN ! ! !

The worst part of this cruise was the children. There were poorly behaved everywhere on the ship. They were doing things that were rude, annoying, and sometimes down right dangerous. Children as young as six were allowed by their parents to run wild completely unsupervised all over the ship. They jumped in the pool, heckled the performers on stage in the main theatre, and a completely ignore the rules and announcements of the NCL staff.

At one point, the captain got on the P.A. (he sounded mad to me) and reminded the parents that they are responsible for the behavior of their children. Also there was a strongly-worded letter from the captain with the daily stating that if the children created a dangerous situation they would be “Disembarked”.

I think NCL has to take a portion of the blame for not doing more to enforce the rules (all threats, no action) but ultimately the parents are responsible for their children.

This brings me to something I have never seen before on a cruise. On the final night of our cruise, we ate dinner in the Venetian and a fight broke out during dinner. I am not sure how in started, but it seems that a man said something to a woman at the next table about controlling her kids. Well, the women started screaming at the man and didn’t stop screaming until everyone in the restaurant was looking at her. It went on for about 10 minutes until security arrived. Lovely.

Ports

St Thomas – We went the Magen Bay Beach. It was very beautiful, clean, nice beach. I think the taxi ride was $8.00 per person each way plus $3.00 per person to get into to the beach. If you go to Magen Bay Beach keep your camera out during the ride, there is a beautiful view of the harbor, on the way.

Tortola – We went to Virgin Gorda, to The Baths and Devil’s Bay Beach on a ship excursion. The Baths and Devil’s Bay Beach are very beautiful, but one word of warning the current is very strong and there is no lifeguard.

St Maartin – We did the America’s Cup ship excursion. It was awesome. I once in a lifetime experience. Highly recommended.

San Juan – We just shopped.

Nassau – Our ship was supposed to stop at Great Stir-up Cay but couldn’t due to bad weather, so there took us to Nassau instead. A big improvement in my opinion. We took a taxi to Atlantis. So Beautiful, a must-see. The shopping was great to, but a little crowded with three ships in port.

Disembarkation

Disembarkation took forever. It was 12:30 before we got off the ship. The room stewards were trying to clean the room while we were still in it.

Pool

The pool area is way too small and the pool and hot tubs are dominated by children (more on this later). On the good weather sea days, it was very difficult to get a seat.

Entertainment

The entertainment on this cruise was the best on any cruise I had been on. There was a juggler Ramono Fredieani (sp?), he was great very good, unique and funny. Don Ware was very funny, but maybe a little too much audience participation. Gleason Magic was good (I am not a big fan of magic) The Jean Ann Ryan company was good, especially “Bollywood”. Eddie Holman (R&B singer) was also quite good. There were also many shows to enjoy. There was always a good show in the evening, plus usually a late night show and interesting class-like shows during at sea days. My one complaint was that the theatre was too small and very crowded, as was the Spinnaker for the late night shows.

CHILDREN ! ! !

The worst part of this cruise was the children. There were poorly behaved everywhere on the ship. They were doing things that were rude, annoying, and sometimes down right dangerous. Children as young as six were allowed by their parents to run wild completely unsupervised all over the ship. They jumped in the pool, heckled the performers on stage in the main theatre, and a completely ignore the rules and announcements of the NCL staff.

At one point, the captain got on the P.A. (he sounded mad to me) and reminded the parents that they are responsible for the behavior of their children. Also there was a strongly-worded letter from the captain with the daily stating that if the children created a dangerous situation they would be “Disembarked”.

I think NCL has to take a portion of the blame for not doing more to enforce the rules (all threats, no action) but ultimately the parents are responsible for their children.

This brings me to something I have never seen before on a cruise. On the final night of our cruise, we ate dinner in the Venetian and a fight broke out during dinner. I am not sure how in started, but it seems that a man said something to a woman at the next table about controlling her kids. Well, the women started screaming at the man and didn’t stop screaming until everyone in the restaurant was looking at her. It went on for about 10 minutes until security arrived. Lovely.

Ports

St Thomas – We went the Magen Bay Beach. It was very beautiful, clean, nice beach. I think the taxi ride was $8.00 per person each way plus $3.00 per person to get into to the beach. If you go to Magen Bay Beach keep your camera out during the ride, there is a beautiful view of the harbor, on the way.

Tortola – We went to Virgin Gorda, to The Baths and Devil’s Bay Beach on a ship excursion. The Baths and Devil’s Bay Beach are very beautiful, but one word of warning the current is very strong and there is no lifeguard.

St Maartin – We did the America’s Cup ship excursion. It was awesome. I once in a lifetime experience. Highly recommended.

Nassau – Our ship was supposed to stop at Great Stir-up Cay but couldn’t due to bad weather, so there took us to Nassau instead. A big improvement in my opinion. We took a taxi to Atlantis. So Beautiful, a must-see. The shopping was great to, but a little crowded with three ships in port.

Disembarkation

Disembarkation took forever. It was 12:30 before we got off the ship. The room stewards were trying to clean the room while we were still in it.

Pool

Entertainment

CHILDREN ! ! !

Ports

Disembarkation

With so many school districts going year round, with considerable off time during a normal school year, I am not surprised. Add them to the home school chidren we have children on cruises year round, not to mention the parents taking their children out of a normal school for a week.

Wanderlust, we were on the same cruise.

The only thing I do not like about Norwegian is the freestyle. Usually we cruise on Carnival from Miami, but this year I wanted to leave from NY and got a good deal on Norwegian.

I have to say I loved the ship...it was beautiful...fancier and bigger than Carnival. We ate dinner mostly in the Venetian because it was a more formal atmostphere than the other dining rooms. We did try Impressions and Aqua, but we always went back to the Venetian. We did not go to Cagney's or any of the other restaurants. In our opinion the food was nothing less than spectacular every single night.

We had an inside stateroom, 5539, and it was more than adequate. You're right, Wanderlust -- the stewards were not friendly at all.

There was only one pool and it was always very crowded. It was hard to find a place to sit.

The shows were excellent. My husband was picked for the magic show:) so that made him happy for the rest of the trip. The dancers and the juggler were very entertaining. The entertainment staff were excellent. The games were fun. The ports were great. When we were in Tortola we took a bus and ferry to Virgin Gorda and went through the caves. In Puerto Rico we went to the Rain Forest. St. Maarten is my favorite place and St. Thomas was beautiful. The fact that we had to dock in Nassau was a very pleasant surprise and we spent our time in Atlantis.

I was in the Venetian when that fight broke out, but that wasn't the fault of the staff. A man was complaining about the kids and the woman who was watching them starting yelling. Wanderlust, if you noticed, the kids were all in their pajamas, the table was full of spaghetti and most of the kids had pillows with them. The gentleman who was complaining probably said the same thing I was thinking -- this is disgusting -- you don't wear pajamas and bring your pillows into the dining room!!:eek:

There seemed to be a million kids on the ship. Actually I heard there were 700. They were totally out of control. They were rude and annoying, running around the ship and the parents allowed them to wreak havoc. The captain made numerous announcements and from what I heard, although I don't know if it's true, there were five families that were disembarked in Puerto Rico. After Puerto Rico, I did not see those trouble-making kids again. So maybe it's true they were thrown off. If they were, cheers to the captain.

Disembarkation was painless. It seemed like a long line, but it went fast. We were off the ship within 15 minutes.

In summary, the ship was beautiful, food was excellent and the entertainment was also excellent. What I did not like about the ship was everything is on a different level and you have to go from one side of the ship to another. For example, the Stardust is on the 6th floor in the front and the show right after is in the Spinnaker Lounge on the 12th floor in the back. After that if you wanted to do something else, you had to go back down to the 6th or 7th floor. Everything just seemed too far away. But we had a great time and met some very nice people. I would recommend the Norwegian Dawn

This brings me to something I have never seen before on a cruise. On the final night of our cruise, we ate dinner in the Venetian and a fight broke out during dinner. I am not sure how in started, but it seems that a man said something to a woman at the next table about controlling her kids. Well, the women started screaming at the man and didn’t stop screaming until everyone in the restaurant was looking at her. It went on for about 10 minutes until security arrived. Lovely

You wonder where the kids get it from. Kids will act and behave as the parents do or how the parents let them act. It's a real shame. Where has common sense gone?

Nice review. I think the Dawn has things spread out so there no one area that' gets crowded. Helps with walking off the extra calories I ate. LOL

Pajamas in the main dining room ? I love freestyle but maybe this is too free?

I teach school and we had to pass a rule against p.j.'s

What are the parents thinking?

Thanks for your review. Glad to hear they still have early specials in the restos.

We went on the same cruise, and agree with your view of the cruise. We are from the UK and would like to add our perspective.

This is our second cruise with NCL, the last was out of Vancouver to Alsaka in July 2004. In the past 2.5 yrs NCL standards seem to have fallen.

EMBARKATION - We found the embarkation to be slower than on previous cruises, and far from comfortable, with no seating unless old and disabled. The whole building seemed run down. As a UK passport holder it came as a surprise to be told by NCL at embarkation that they would be holding our passport for the duration of the cruise. We are constantly being told in the UK not to let important documents out of our sight because of identity theft. We had no choice, and should have been informed of this when making the booking with NCL.

ROOM - Our room was 10618 which was a very pleasant room with balcony. The stateroom service left a lot to be desired. When we arrived the safe could not be used because the previous guest had closed it, the aircon/heating was not working, and no spoon/stirrer for making tea/coffee. We ran out of shower gel in the dispenser and had to call housekeeping, who refilled with shampoo!! Our hospitality tray was rarely topped up with tea or milk. We gave up in the end and brought what we wanted from the Garden Cafe. We felt staff working atmosphere was pretty low, and only did what they had too.

DINING - We enjoyed eating best at Impressions, it has a nice atmosphere and is not too noisy. The Venetians is very large and grand but is very noisy, especially if you are sitting next to a large group who are trying to compete with each other as to who can talk the loudest!! The Aqua we found was often used by families with children who did not always seem well behaved. Cagney's was good although we did have problems with the cover charge, $20 each seemed excessive and when queried was reduced to $10. We do feel NCL should have a list of charges in the stateroom, which would avoid any confusion. The Garden Cafe was very noisey and crowded - not a place for a peaceful meal!!

ENTERTAINMENT - Fabulous, best entertainment shows I have seen on a cruise ship. Juggler, Magician, Comedian, Singers, in fact something for everyone.

CHILDREN - What can I add to what others have said, it was appalling behaviour by a few. Who in there right mind allows young children to wander around a ship without adult supervision? I think NCL have brought this on themselves, they advertise " fun, freedom, flexibility and choice to do what you like, when you like ". Obviously NCL are now attracting guests from the sector who will do exactly what they like, and to hell with everyone else.

DISEMBARKATION - A shambles, being from the UK NCL had arranged for transport to Newark Airport, but when we exited the port terminal there was no obvious person to direct us to our transport. We looked at all the coaches etc. to try and find our transport without success, eventually my Wife went back into the terminal to try and find a NCL rep, in the meantime I found a man with a clipboard (no indication that he was connected with NCL) who directed me to a taxi across the freeway!!

We really enjoyed our cruise, but I'm afraid we won't be looking to go with NCL again, they have let cruising standards drop since we last travelled with them, and they are not to our liking.

Enjoyable and interesting detailed review!

What a drag about the "kid situation" though!

I put the blame completely on parents who refuse to parent appropriately. I am afraid that cruiseship personel can really do very little (short of disembarking unruly families and I really hope they did that). It is pretty sad when the captain has to make announcements and letters are sent out.

Unfortunately this problem is not unique to NCL. I have read enough complaints about the same thing on other cruiselines. The problem is parents who do not parent.

After reading these reviews I wish I had tipped our room stewards more than I did. Ours (Edgar and Eugene) were absolutely delightful and did everything possible to enrich our cruise. They introduced themselves as soon as we showed up at the room and called us by name (We asked them to call us by our first names) everytime they saw us ("Good Morning, Mr. Bob").They had started cleaning the room once when I had to return for something I forgot and even though I said it was OK for them to keep working they said that they would return after I was done. We had a few small parties in our room and everything was cleaned up immediately as soon as we left the room. My wife didn't feel well one day and went back to the room to rest. When I returned to the room Eugene asked me if my wife was feeling any better and if he could get anything for her. I didn't realize how lucky we were. Maybe yours were just worn out from dealing with the unruly children. There were few children on our cruise and the entire staff always seemed to be in a good mood.

Bob

We are going on the Dawn in 1 month (3/1) as NCL newbies. Always up for adventure. Not encouraging about the children...hope we don't encounter that many rugrats! Mine would have NEVER gotten away with unruly behavior.

I heard that the menus have changed since angeljt was so kind enough to post them from the December sailing......can you confirm? Just want to plan ahead for our reservations.

Did you participate in the Murder Mystery? If so - what night was it on?

Otherwise great review....can't wait to post mine!

We cruise every Easter.Family of 4 two kids 11 and 7.

One year there were about 800 kids and the next about 900.

Never have we had the problems that you encountered.

No letters sent to cabins.Captn never made any announcements.In fact the cruise director complimented all the kids as to how well behaved they were.

I would have been very upset as you if this went on .I travel with my kids and they would never carry on like that . I send them to the kids crew they have a great time.Children get bored and need to do other things than run around causing trouble.I love the fact that NCL has such a great kids program.I am sure that if those kids went and partcipated in the activities offered everyone would have been much happier.I have heard the excuse well they will not go.Well give it a try I am sure they don't want to go to school everyday but they do.I think we as parents tend to let things go when we are on vacation I am talking about staying up late and eating 10 cookies but PJ's and pillows not acceptable Again send them to the kids crew

.Do you think it was a group traveling together that were the main problem:confused: .

None of the schools in this area were off last week.New york ,New Jersey all had school.

Enjoyable and interesting detailed review!

What a drag about the "kid situation" though!

I put the blame completely on parents who refuse to parent appropriately. I am afraid that cruiseship personel can really do very little (short of disembarking unruly families and I really hope they did that). It is pretty sad when the captain has to make announcements and letters are sent out.

Unfortunately this problem is not unique to NCL. I have read enough complaints about the same thing on other cruiselines. The problem is parents who do not parent.

Very well said.I do hope that they were thrown off the ship:eek:

With so many school districts going year round, with considerable off time during a normal school year, I am not surprised. Add them to the home school chidren we have children on cruises year round, not to mention the parents taking their children out of a normal school for a week.

I cannot understand how so many school age children can be on a 10 day cruise only 2 weeks after they returned from their Christmas/New Year's holiday? We have done 10 & 11 day Dawn cruises every January since Dawn came to New York and there were very few school age children on those cruises. I also suspect this may have something to do with NCL's new "ultimate freestyle" advertising. Hopefully, they will get a handle on this because NCL out of New York cannot afford to get a reputation as the Camp Runamok cruise line? Debarkation of disruptive families at the next port would bring applause from the overwhelming majority of passengers on board.

Another possible solution might be too offer longer winter cruises. I would be the first to consider any cruise line that offers a 2 week winter cruise out of New York that doesn't coincide with any school holiday.

Sorry about the double posting. Is there a way to fix this?

If you return to the thread immediately after posting, you can delete the double or triple posts with the "edit button". This feature is only available for a few minutes after you post. To edit, scroll across all writing to highlight, then delete. When you again have a blank page, retype your brief message, and submit.

I was on the same cruise and although I was shocked to see all the kids on board I also wondered what school had off this time of year? I found out that it was a private school from brooklyn that had their winter break. This same occurrance happend on the spirit last year. as a warning to future cruisers from NY beware of traveling the same week on cruise ships because they travel as a group and NCL as well as other cruises should implement procedures to prevent indiciduals who have caused problems in the past from future cruises. I am not saying that the entire group should be banned but just those individuals who caused havoc for the rest.

We cruise every Easter.Family of 4 two kids 11 and 7.

One year there were about 800 kids and the next about 900.

Never have we had the problems that you encountered.

No letters sent to cabins.Captn never made any announcements.In fact the cruise director complimented all the kids as to how well behaved they were.

I would have been very upset as you if this went on .I travel with my kids and they would never carry on like that . I send them to the kids crew they have a great time.Children get bored and need to do other things than run around causing trouble.I love the fact that NCL has such a great kids program.I am sure that if those kids went and partcipated in the activities offered everyone would have been much happier.I have heard the excuse well they will not go.Well give it a try I am sure they don't want to go to school everyday but they do.I think we as parents tend to let things go when we are on vacation I am talking about staying up late and eating 10 cookies but PJ's and pillows not acceptable Again send them to the kids crew

.Do you think it was a group traveling together that were the main problem:confused: .

None of the schools in this area were off last week.New york ,New Jersey all had school.

I agree with you about the kids crew. However, if there were 700 kids and numerous unruly ones, what would you bet that those unruly ones got banned from the kids crew? :rolleyes:

Reading the above post, it may have been a group and a lot of the kids knew each other. Running in the pack mentality... do they still make kids read "Lord of the Flies" in school? :rolleyes: I hope they did get disembarked.

Guest BeckyThane
.Reading the above post, it may have been a group and a lot of the kids knew each other. Running in the pack mentality... do they still make kids read "Lord of the Flies" in school? :rolleyes:

:p LOL :p

I'm getting nervous now. We are going on the Dawn Feb. 18th, which is Feb. school vacation in MA. I knew booking this date that there would be a lot of kids, but hopefully they aren't out of control like on this cruise. I can't believe how many kids are on 10/11 night cruises. I wish my parents had taken me on an 11-night cruise when I was young.

Hello Everyone,

I hope there are pleasant and polite kids on our March 1st cruise sailing. On one of my past cruises we had a group of bad kids pushing senior citizens out of the way, one lady got pushed against the stair railing and fell down a couple of stairs. When I seen this I followed these kids till I seen a cruise employee to call someone about what had just happened, the worker and I followed these kids as he was calling for security on his radio. Next port Belize what do we see 4 families with suitcases getting kick off the ship and one of the kids crying WHAT DID I DO.

Oh why all this was happening my wife got help for the lady.

After Belize all was quiet from the other kids on board pleasant and polite I might add.

Archived