Conquest and Grand Cayman question

JustRambling

Hi All,

I am booked on the Conquest in August and have been looking over some privately booked excursions. I was wondering if any of you "Conquest experts" can answer my question. I want to book an excursion that starts at 9:30am (Grand Cayman time). I'm assuming that will be 8:30am ship time?? Is it at all possible to be off the ship that early if you don't have a Carnival excursion booked?

Do we tender in to Grand Cayman? I'm thinking we do, but not sure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Diana

You will tender in Grand Cayman; takes about ten minutes upon departure, but you have to wait fifteen minutes to fill the boat and get the people settled in. I believe if you have a Carnival booked shore excursion, you will get an "early" tender ticket. However, I have heard that rude people can push you out of the way, with or without the ticket.

When we were on the Conquest in December, we learned that the hard way. On our first port day in Montego Bay, we were in line to get off the ship upon arrival...as was the entire ship of 3000 pax! Total chaos. Not worth it. Now, we were able to get off the ship by 8:45 am, early, but not worth it. The next day, in Grand Cayman, we had a leisurely breakfast, let everyone kill each other to get off the ship at 8:00 debarkation, and strolled off the ship at 9:30 am without a problem or a line :)

You will tender in Grand Cayman; takes about ten minutes upon departure, but you have to wait fifteen minutes to fill the boat and get the people settled in. I believe if you have a Carnival booked shore excursion, you will get an "early" tender ticket. However, I have heard that rude people can push you out of the way, with or without the ticket.

When we were on the Conquest in December, we learned that the hard way. On our first port day in Montego Bay, we were in line to get off the ship upon arrival...as was the entire ship of 3000 pax! Total chaos. Not worth it. Now, we were able to get off the ship by 8:45 am, early, but not worth it. The next day, in Grand Cayman, we had a leisurely breakfast, let everyone kill each other to get off the ship at 8:00 debarkation, and strolled off the ship at 9:30 am without a problem or a line :)

If you want to book your own trip with Nativeway or Captain Marvin you will have no problem with tendering. These vendors know how long it will take you to get ashore. They will wait. The reality is you won't be the only ones on their tour tendering, everyone is in the same boat so to speak.

The best advice I can give you is to read the Grand Cayman board for vendor recommendations, I suspect you have done this already. Communicate via e-mail with prospective vendors and mention you are new to the process of tendering and ask them how things work. I am quite sure they will satisfy your concerns.

Also ask about the time difference. Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard time. They do not change to Daylight Savings time so in August they will be on the same time as Galveston. The vendors know what ships are on what time but I'm sure you will be more comfortable knowing from them what to expect so just ask.

If you want to do the Stingrays which I highly recommend.....doing it again in May!! Capt. Marvin's has a 10am-1pm tour for 40pp. This gives you 2 snorkling stops and swimming with the stingrays. Plenty of time to get off of the ship and you will have plenty of time to visit the shops, they are along the way. NO worries Mon!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Hmmm...I was thinking that EST time was one hour ahead of Galveston...no? When I call my aunt near Dallas, TX, she is always an hour behind me. (I'm in Connecticut) Is the time zone different in Galveston?

I have tendered to Catalina Island when we sailed on the Paradise, but we never had to get a ticket to tender, we just got in line and was out in no time, so the way they do it on Conquest is different from what we experienced on our first cruise.

I am looking at booking with Soto Cruises for our Stingray tour. It's only 2 hours long and less crowded. I will ask them if they will wait until we are off the ship and see how that goes. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Diana

Hmmm...I was thinking that EST time was one hour ahead of Galveston...no? When I call my aunt near Dallas, TX, she is always an hour behind me. (I'm in Connecticut) Is the time zone different in Galveston?

Diana

Eastern Standard Time is the same as Central Daylight Time (UTC -5)

When you sail from Galveston in August you will be on CDT. When you arrive in GC island time will be as it always is, EST. The two times are the same.....got it?:p

Last week the Conquest moved ahead one hour before arriving in Montego Bay. The hour was set back after leaving Grand Cayman. What the procedure will be during the summer isn't known to me hence the comment.

Eastern Standard Time is the same as Central Daylight Time (UTC -5)

When you sail from Galveston in August you will be on CDT. When you arrive in GC island time will be as it always is, EST. The two times are the same.....got it?:p

Last week the Conquest moved ahead one hour before arriving in Montego Bay. The hour was set back after leaving Grand Cayman. What the procedure will be during the summer isn't known to me hence the comment.

*giggles* Thanks for the clarification yst347. :o I have been having a doosy of a time trying to figure out this whole "time" thing. Been trying to work it out for a couple of months here. LOL! I am math impaired :o , I'm lucky I can count how many fingers and toes I have. :D (This from a teachers aide...:eek: good thing I'm in the elementary school!) This has helped me tremendously! Thank you a thousand times over!

Diana

Hi All,

I am booked on the Conquest in August and have been looking over some privately booked excursions. I was wondering if any of you "Conquest experts" can answer my question. I want to book an excursion that starts at 9:30am (Grand Cayman time). I'm assuming that will be 8:30am ship time?? Is it at all possible to be off the ship that early if you don't have a Carnival excursion booked?

Do we tender in to Grand Cayman? I'm thinking we do, but not sure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Diana

Grand Cayman time and ship time will be the same. The ships clocks are adjusted and they also remind you by announcement and in the carnival daily paper.The Conquest arrives at 7:00 a.m. and yes, you will tender.You can certainly make your tour. You need to get a tender ticket as early as you can to make sure you get off in time and they are given out first come first served.They start to give them out at 7:00 in the main theatre. No problem mon !

Diana..we are booked on Conquest 8-19 too. We went last year on same cruise.It was so fun we decided to do it again. We also have 2 boys, teens. They just had a great time.

If you want to email me yummykaz@yahoo.com I can tell you some tips, what we did ( and are doing again!).

Hey yummykaz, great to hear from you. Have you checked the Roll Call boards? There is a roll call for our sailing here. You should come on over and give a shout out. I posted what we were (so far) planning to do at each port. Thanks for the offer on the suggestions or tips, I might just take you up on it soon.

Diana

Just got back from Caymen Jan 25. Easy to tender. Did Capt Marvins all day tour.Best tour ever. Cost $65 for all. Had 3or 4 snorkel stops. Dove for conche shells, sting rays. Only 17 people on our tour. Great customer service and attention. Cruise ship tours had about 100 people per tour. We got to feed and hold the sting rays. It was so awsome!! Took my 14 year old daughter it was her favorite stop! Taking my 6 year old next year. Also had lunch on the beach. Captain Marvins was the best!!! Hope you have a great time and remember a water proof camera!!

Archived