OT..Can anyone recommend a hotel in Rome?

Oh, and you will enjoy! I was there last April. Can't recommend a hotel in Rome because we stayed outside the city limits, but I can give you this very important tip, when you land in Roma (the airport is quite far) and transfer to a train to take you into the city, make sure to purchase your bus tickets there as well. Rome is a big city and with an all day or all week pass, you can board as often as you would like, in many different locations. Taking taxi's or renting a car in Rome is not worth it because you will sit in traffic for hours! Have fun!

In 2005 we stayed at the Hotel Lancelot which is within easy walking distance to the Collesium. Great place and excellent staff. There is also a "hop on/hop off" stop close by. This fall we are staying at the Best Bed and Breakfast Vatican [there is another one called the Best Bed and Breakfact Pantheon]. Both are in excellent locations but we chose the Best Vatican just bc it's close to the Vatican. They get excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and prices are pretty good. Hotel Lancelot reviews can also be found on TA.

I stayed in Rome last year and the year before and both times we stayed at the hotel Veneto. When I was there last sept they were doing remodeling and the new rooms were amazing. It is about a 10 minute walk to the spanish steps and is by the American embassy in a really safe area of Rome. http://www.hotelveneto.com/ Check out tripadvisor for reviews. It is off of Via Veneto. Hope this helps Jen

Hi! We'll be in Rome for a weekend in April (the week after Easter). We also have two small children. I just completed a fairly exhaustive survey of what I considered to be likely hotels (not expensive, with decent reviews on TripAdvisor and fairly centrally located). I realize you will be there in the fall, so you may get better rates.

I got rate quotes, for a quad., ranging from a high of 580 euros per night at the Hotel Sole al Pantheon to a low of 170 euros at Hotel Sonya and 190 euros at Hotel Adler. Hotel Paba was 220 euros. There were many others in the mid-200 to mid-300 euros range, some higher. These rates all include continental breakfast and taxes. All have en suite bathrooms. The previously mentioned Hotel Lancelot requires a three night minimum stay in April, and we will be spending two nights in Rome, so unfortunately it was not an option for us.

On previous trips, we have stayed at the Hotel Santa Chiara (310 euros per night). While I recall thinking the decor in the rooms could be refreshed, it was very clean, the public spaces were attractive, but the real bonus was it's location right behind the Pantheon. We've also stayed at Hotel Domus Sessoriana (242 euros per night), which we found to be very nice, with a large room, new bath, very clean, but not nearly as convenient to the historic center. This hotel doesn't get consistent reviews, so I suspect the location of your room may dictate your experience. Ours was positive.

In the end, we have reserved a room at Hotel Sonya, as we expect to spend very little time in the hotel. However, it has been several days, and I have not gotten a confirmation of our reservation, which is a bit worrying. Hopefully, that will be sorted soon. I'll let you know where we ended up staying and how we found it on our return.

Good luck in your search, and happy planning!

Archived