Sweden post-cruise

2xshy

Does anyone have any recommendations for a post-cruise stay in Sweden? We are looking at the Vaxjo-Kalmar region vs. a stay in the Gripshom Vardshus in Mariefred (lake Malaren area). Any help would be appreciated

Are you staying in Stockholm too? I have been there twice on cruises and thought it was just fabulous. I managed to see quite a bit by running my legs off (my husband and our friends were standing on the balcony watching me RUN back to the ship because the walk was longer than I had anticipated so I kind of panicked :)), so I would definitely like to spend more time there. Skansen is just delightful. The Vasa and other museums in that area would be at least a half day. Frommers has some great walking tours of Stockholm, and I love Gamla Stan. We sailed in and out of the archipelago on large cruise ships, and I think it would be great to take one of the smaller boats around that area to see all the great scenery. My only other port call in Sweden was in Helsingborg, and if you stay in that area, you can take the ferry over to Copenhagen and see a lot of castles and villages in that area.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Hi 2xshy- Växjö and Kalmar are in a beautiful area of Sweden and a great choice for post-cruise! Small hills, lakes and forest. Lots of traditional red houses dotted along the way. The outer city of Växjö has a beautiful castle ruin site called Kronoberg on a lake, you can take a steamboat (oldest one in existence in sweden) ride around it...very neat. You would probably need a rental car to get out to it though. There are trains direct from Copenhagen to Växjö in about 2.5hrs.

If you have any other specific questions just ask! :)

Hi!

You can read about Kalmar on http://www.kalmar.se]

and about vaxjo on http://www.vaxjo.se.

I live in a town named Nybro closted to Kalmar. Nybro is in the kingdom of the crisatall.

Kalmar is a tippical summertown . It is closed to everything. You can walk around by you self.

Hope you will enjoy your visit in Seden

Riggan

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Gripsholm-Vardus. Loved the breakfast. Best of all was the sauna--very private beautiful suite--for free. You reserve it. You walk down an interesting passageway to get to it. We were lucky--at 10 pm no one was using it and staff very happily showed us how to use it. We could see the full moon out the sauna window, and there was a neat big tub to dunk in--with an ice machine. You could submerge yourself in ice water, which we did the third time around when we very very hot. Wonderful. Of course, there were showers, sitting room, a phone for emergencies, just beautiful. A highlight of our trip. The castle was interesting, too. Our Swedish ancestors have the name Grip.

We also self-toured the island of Oland. We were with horticulturalists (my brothers) and we all enjoyed walking out into the "moors" and forests--the Heritage natural preserves. I loved the sheep and bought wool. In the Spring, the island is covered with blooming native orchids. We were there in the Fall. Got our room through the visitor's center. Stayed in a simple church camp. Again, a fabulous breakfast.

Archived