Mazatlan: How Nice Is It?

Editor

Mazatlan is great I have been vacationing there for about 10 years.the prices from the cruise seem high. take a cab from the pier just get a cabby that speaks english .cheak out the church and downtown be sure to bargain. for lunch try gringo lingo (in golden zone any cab can take you there) they have an all you can eat lunch anything on the menu just keep ordering $15. I loved the cocanut shrimp. I like the shopping in the golden zone. hope this helps momcharly

Gringo Lingo was $11 for all you can eat 2 years ago. It's a great place.:D

I quess when you take a tour you don't see any of the scary things that people are eluding to. We took tours & the tours did not take us anywhere that we didn't feel safe. As a matter of fact, we were surprised at how friendly the people were. On Mazatlan the tour only took us to very small specific places to shop. It didn't matter to us that it was small because they all seem to have the same things. I quess the tours are very controlled to not make you feel unsafe, we spent the whole day there and were very happy.

When we were there two years ago, we walked and took taxis. It was one of the least "scary" ports we've ever been in. Scary ports in Mexico are (to me) Puerto Valarta, Cancun - and Tiajuana! Tangiers sits at the top of the "scary ports" list, with St. Petersburg, Marseilles, Rome and New York coming in the top 5.

Mazatlan was less scary than Mayberry :rolleyes:

Mazatlan was a small fishing village/city for most of its existence. Because it has a deep-water port, cruise lines started to use it as a stop. As it happens with most industrial towns, the port area is not the greatest. With Mazatlan this is very true. Unfortunately, due to the geographical layout of the area, new money has made improvements further and further away from the port itself.

When you arrive, a tram takes you to the “cruise center” where you forced to go through a gauntlet of sales people. (HINT, GET OUT OF THE TRAM ON THE LEFT SIDE, THE RIGHT SIDE HAS ABOUT 30 CONDO SALESMEN WHO ARE BEYOND OBNOXIOUS) Not their fault, they struggle for a dollar, or peso, just like we do. But the passengers are there for just a few hours and they are just plain over aggressive. The center is basically a fort with high walls and electric gates. Sorry, but in my opinion leaving and returning other by taxi or tram would be foolish.

We enjoy the small restaurants North of town that the locals go to that specialize in seafood.

Do your research before you get there and decide what to do. Do not go by what salesman or taxi driver wants. Be sure to get the actual street address of where you want to go. Just because someone drives a cab does not mean they know the city.

Archived