Coral Garden vs Barrier Reef for Snorkeling?

bar1986

Coarl Gradens is a very specific spot about 200 yards west of the Stingray Sandbar. There is usually a resident green moray eel which some operators feed.

Barrier Reef could refer to MANY different locations all along the reef that seperates the North Sound from the open Caribbean Sea. One of these spots that is popular with tour operators has a couple resident nurse sharks.

Operators tend to, by habit, do the same snorkelling spot on most every trip.

We went with Soto Cruises and they did both Coral Gardens and the Barrier Reef, then we went to Sting Ray City. I can't really say which was "better". They were both great in their own right. We purchased the DVD of our trip and both sites have to be the best snorekling we've done anywhere. Try finding an option that goes to both.

The reef was much better. It had rocky areas, more coral, a good number of fish to look at and a resident moray eel that our guide coaxed out of its hole. The coral gardens were simply sea fans dotting the ocean floor. Very few fish. It was a let down after the sting rays and reef.

I was just there on the 24th of January. When I was wanting to book our time in GC I couldn't decide on which to see, the coral or barrier reef, so I found someone who does both....We did the 3 stop morning tour with Ebanks watersports for $40.00 pp. Our ship delayed letting us off almost an hour late, but Shawn Ebanks waited it out for us and ended up taking us out on his boat. Our first stop was Coral gardens. The water was pretty rough that day but I saw LOTS of fish, many different kinds! ...they were actually swimming all around me :) I had a ponytail dangling in the water and they all wanted to nibble on it! There were all kinds of colorful fish and coral and sea fans, it was really amazing, I enjoyed it immensly and didn't want to leave... our second stop was the stingrays, which Shawn made fun, they seemed to love him, (especially one particular girl stingray ). Then our 3d stop was the Barrier reef. The Barrier was very different from Coral I thought. There were alot of very beautiful wonderful fish and things to see there too, it's definatly "rockier", but I wouldn't have wanted to miss either. To me they are different and both worth seeing. Just my opinion. Hope this is helpful.

• 1 month later...
I was just there on the 24th of January. When I was wanting to book our time in GC I couldn't decide on which to see, the coral or barrier reef, so I found someone who does both....We did the 3 stop morning tour with Ebanks watersports for $40.00 pp. Our ship delayed letting us off almost an hour late, but Shawn Ebanks waited it out for us and ended up taking us out on his boat. Our first stop was Coral gardens. The water was pretty rough that day but I saw LOTS of fish, many different kinds! ...they were actually swimming all around me :) I had a ponytail dangling in the water and they all wanted to nibble on it! There were all kinds of colorful fish and coral and sea fans, it was really amazing, I enjoyed it immensly and didn't want to leave... our second stop was the stingrays, which Shawn made fun, they seemed to love him, (especially one particular girl stingray ). Then our 3d stop was the Barrier reef. The Barrier was very different from Coral I thought. There were alot of very beautiful wonderful fish and things to see there too, it's definatly "rockier", but I wouldn't have wanted to miss either. To me they are different and both worth seeing. Just my opinion. Hope this is helpful.

So glad that Ebanks Watersports met up with all your expectations. I knew they would. Your comment about the female stingray just cracked me up!!

Coarl Gradens is a very specific spot about 200 yards west of the Stingray Sandbar. There is usually a resident green moray eel which some operators feed.

Barrier Reef could refer to MANY different locations all along the reef that seperates the North Sound from the open Caribbean Sea. One of these spots that is popular with tour operators has a couple resident nurse sharks.

Operators tend to, by habit, do the same snorkelling spot on most every trip.

Sharks and "open sea" are not the terms I want to think about when I go snorkeling. :eek:

Archived