Voyager and RCCL Questions

Colestat

We are considering booking a 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Explorer. We have only cruised Disney before and have a few questions. Our kids will be 11 and 13 (boys).

1 - What nonalcoholic beverages are included in the cruise fare? Disney had the soda and coffee self serve station.

2 - Are there additional charges for the ice rink, mini golf, rock wall, inline skate? Are there any age limits (ie can DS11 climb the rock wall)? How often are these activities open?

3 - What are the kids clubs like? My DS's loved Ocean Quest on Disney Magic. Is there anything like that?

4 - What is the dining like? Do you rotate dining rooms like on Disney or are you in the same dining room the entire cruise?

5 - What are the pools like? I think I saw a slide in a picture. Would my DS11 and 13 be allowed on it?

6 - What is the dress requirement for dinner? Cruise casual? How many formal nights would be on a 12 night cruise?

7 - What are the kids sleeping arrangements? We are thinking of a D1 room? Does a bunk come down from the ceiling like Disney?

8 - What is embarkation and disembarkation like? I undestand disembarkation is much worse than on Disney? We would be at the Bayonne port if that makes a difference?

9 - Is ice cream available at any time? Disney had a self serve ice cream station.

Sorry so long. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Hi,

Below are some of the answers to your questions. I may have missed some things so bear with me.

1. They serve coffee, iced tea, lemonade, variety of juices in AM and in dining room.

2. No extra charges but there are limited times to use these and there are age/height restrictions.

3. Don't know too much about this since I do not have kids, but I know they have Aventure Ocean which is supposed to be a great program with it's on center and pool area.

4. The dining rooms are available for lunch and dinner. At dinner you have assigned tables and waiters. You can always eat at Windjammer which is the buffet, or Sorrento's (Pizza), Johnny Rockets (extra charge), or Chops and/or Portofino's (supper club addl. charges). Also in the promenade they have a eatery.

5. I believe the childrens pool area has a slide there is also a solarium pool for adults only in additon to the regular two pools and hot tubs.

6. Depends on the evening, usually one to two formal nights, and other nights are casual dress but no shorts, flip flops, etc.

7. I know they have rooms with pull down beds but again, I am not sure on the specifics.

8. The embarkation is generally pretty smooth. Debarkation sometimes has it's glitches. There are two options self assist or traditional. Self assist is where you remove your own baggage and are the first ones to exit the ship. Traditional is where you leave your luggage out the night before and they call you by an assigned color on day of debarkation.

9. I am not sure on the Ice Cream. I know it is availble sometimes.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

1 - What nonalcoholic beverages are included in the cruise fare? Disney had the soda and coffee self serve station.

A. Coffee (regular only), tea, milk , juice (at meals) are free. POP/soda in the can is $1.75 + 15% tip. Specialty coffees costs estra depending on what type you want, $2.95 and up.

2 - Are there additional charges for the ice rink, mini golf, rock wall, inline skate? Are there any age limits (ie can DS11 climb the rock wall)? How often are these activities open?

A. The ice rink, rock wall, in line skating is free. They do have the equipment available but it goes quick. The ice rink is opened for limited times. The rock wall. min golf and in-line are opened quite often (althought not 24 hrs). The age limit on rock wall is 6. You must sign a wavier for your children. They must have their own socks, everything else is provided.

3 - What are the kids clubs like? My DS's loved Ocean Quest on Disney Magic. Is there anything like that?

A. My grandchild 5 and 9 went and had a ball. They play games talk and do projects.4 - What is the dining like?

Do you rotate dining rooms like on Disney or are you in the same dining room the entire cruise?

A No, you are assigned a table in one of the Dining Rooms. Your agent should have asked what size table you wanted.

5 - What are the pools like? I think I saw a slide in a picture. Would my DS11 and 13 be allowed on it?

A. There is an adult pool for those 18 and over called Solarium Pool and the main pool. The slide you seen is to the kid's pool and yes your kids can go on them if they are tall enough (not sure of the height).

6 - What is the dress requirement for dinner? Cruise casual? How many formal nights would be on a 12 night cruise?

A. There will be two formal nights and smart causal (no t-shirts, jeans, bathing suits).

This depends on the room. Check with your agent to ensure that it is a room for 4. Some have bunks other the couch turns into a bed (this is what we had).

8 - What is embarkation and disembarkation like? I undestand disembarkation is much worse than on Disney? We would be at the Bayonne port if that makes a difference?

A. Embarkation starts just before 12 noon. Bring your Set sail pass and passports. Drop your luggage with the porter, don't forget to tip. Go in the shortest line. Check in. Go grab lunch at the Windjammer as rooms won't be ready til 1 pm.

Disembarkation can be a nightmare. but like Disney they call colours. You go through immigration then pick up your bags and head home.

9 - Is ice cream available at any time? Disney had a self serve ice cream station.

A. Soft ice cream is available on the Lido deck (Pool Deck). It is called Sprinkles. There is a Ben and Jerrys but this costs. There is hard ice cream served at lunch and supper if you wish.

Hope this help. I have heard cruising from NJ is a little more different but someone who has done it will let you know more.

I'll answer what questions I can.

tap water, regular coffee, hot and iced tea, hot chocolate, milk, lemonade, and juice at breakfast. Sodas are an extra charge (but you can get a soda card for unlimited sodas if you drink a lot of them). Specialty coffees like espressos and lattes are extra, also if you order regular coffee at a bar it is extra. There is a coffee station in the Cafe Promenade where you can get regular coffee at no extra charge 24 hours a day.

There are no extra charges for any of these activities. The minigolf is always available. They will have listed hours for the rock wall and skating. Watch your compass for the times as they vary. You will need socks for the rock climbing wall, and long pants and socks for the ice skating. I have seen young children climbing the wall, so your 11 year old should have no problems.

I do not have kids but have met plenty of parents that have troubles prying their kids out of Adventure Ocean because their kids loved it so much.

4 - What is the dining like? Do you rotate dining rooms like on Disney or are you in the same dining room the entire cruise?
There is only one large dining room on Explorer, although it is 3 levels. You are at the same table for dinner each night. For breakfast and lunch in the main dining room, there is open seating. You just sit at whatever table is available when you arrive.

On a 12 night cruise, there will probably be 2 to 3 formal nights, 3 smart casual nights, and the rest of the nights casual. At dinner you aren't supposed to wear shorts but that's about the only requirements.

7 - What are the kids sleeping arrangements? We are thinking of a D1 room? Does a bunk come down from the ceiling like Disney?
It depends on the room you are looking at. If you look at RCCL's website, you will notice there are little symbols after the room numbers on the deck plans. These symbols tell you whether there are pullman beds or a sofa bed. Some rooms have one or the other, and some rooms have both.

You can always eat at Windjammer which is the buffet, or Sorrento's (Pizza), Johnny Rockets (extra charge), or Chops and/or Portofino's (supper club addl. charges). Also in the promenade they have a eatery.
One note, Explorer does not have Sorrento's. They do have the Cafe Promenade where they serve pizza but it is different than Sorrento's. Also, Explorer does not have Chops it only has Sorrento's

8. The embarkation is generally pretty smooth. Debarkation sometimes has it's glitches. There are two options self assist or traditional. Self assist is where you remove your own baggage and are the first ones to exit the ship. Traditional is where you leave your luggage out the night before and they call you by an assigned color on day of debarkation.

From what I can tell there is no self assist option in Bayonne do to the way the terminal is laid out. Apparently after you get off the ship, you have to take a shuttle bus to the terminal so they do not allow self disembarkation.

We disembarked twice in Bayonne. Once from the Voyager, the ship was late due to a storm in Bermuda disembarkation was horrible. And once this Oct. from the Explorer and it was pretty smooth. Ship arrived in port around 7:45 and was cleared shortly after for disembarkation. Since we were taking the bus back home we were the third color called and we on the bus around 10:30. The terminal is a bit hectic. Once you get off the shuttle, locate your luggage. Next get in line to get your porter and then you are on your way.

We enjoyed the Explorer and are planning to take the 12 day So. Caribbean cruise this year.

Explorer has an Italian restaurant called Portofino not Sorrento, the food is excellent .

Archived