Adapter plug for electricity on Spirit

LuvTheSea14

What kind of adapter plug should I get so I can plug in a fan or hair dryer on Spirit? I saw some from Travel Smart but they are different for all countries. They have one for Europe and Middle East One for China One forJapan and a different one for Hong Kong, and Singapore

None a regular plug will work on board.

Hi - I was on the Spirit and a regular one wont work unfortunately if you want to use your own hairdryer etc. I just got a kit from radio shack that had an adpator that would fit all - you will also need this little extension plug because the plug by the desk/ mirror is set back. I also brough a dual voltage hairdryer with me.

Hi - I was on the Spirit and a regular one wont work unfortunately if you want to use your own hairdryer etc. I just got a kit from radio shack that had an adpator that would fit all - you will also need this little extension plug because the plug by the desk/ mirror is set back. I also brough a dual voltage hairdryer with me.

Mallory's Mom' date=' [b']which of the pictures below looks like the 220 outlets you used the adpator on?[/b] Is it the third one down or the fourth? Or is it the one at the very bottom?

fznchrt.jpg

Where did you get a dual voltage hairdryer? And did you actually need it? I asked a question about hairdryers, but received vague responses so was hoping for some guidance regarding this. Thanks so much for your help. :)

Where did you get a dual voltage hairdryer? And did you actually need it? I asked a question about hairdryers, but received vague responses so was hoping for some guidance regarding this. Thanks so much for your help. :)

We were on the Spirit last March, and our cabin had regular plugs/voltage. We used our same old blow dryers, computer charger, phone chargers, night lights, etc. with no problem. Maybe it varies from cabin to cabin? But I doubt it. Perhaps it took them a while to get them all changed over?

There are two outlets by the desk. Orginally when the ship sailed in Asia there were two different 220 volt outlets. When the ship was shifted to North America they changed one of them to the 110 volt outlet. However, I am not sure which 220 volt outlet the Spirit has.

Therefore I would buy a kit that would include all, just to be safe. I don't remember which one, but maybe someone can. I could do some elimination and bring the total down to a few. I would eliminate from the top 2,5,6,7. 3 is the American outlet, already aboard, thus leaving 1, 4, and 8. I hope this helps. Most likely 1 and 8, but it could be a 4.

Its not like these adapters cost a lot. I suggest buying the 3 I suspect, or all seven ypu need

You can buy a dual voltage hair dryer at Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. They are usually at least one brand stocked. Even my grocery store has one in stock.

You should get one for traveling abroad. Don't plug your 110 volt hair dryer into a 220 volt outlet. America uses wider gauge wires in its housing compared to nations with 220 volt narrow gauge wires. Since they use more voltage they don't need our wider wiring. Its a good way to blow the circuit breakers and your dryer. American hair dryers use more amps than hair dryers built for 220 volts. Its really that simple.

We cruised the Spirit in 2005. My wife packs her hair dryer before her clothes. We brought the adapter kit and transformer, however the cycles in the electrical current on the 220 lines are different, 50 vs 60. The transformer only converts the 220 to 110, but doesn't convert the cycles. When my wife tried to use her hair dryer, the blower turned at about 70% of what she was used to at home. The result was a slower blowing hair dryer. Unless NCL has replaced the electrical system for 110 volts during drydock, the cycles may still be an issue rendering anything with a 110 volt motor, terribly slow. If that's still the case, you're better off leaving your stateside dryer at home and use the one in the bathroom!;)

There are two outlets by the desk. Orginally when the ship sailed in Asia there were two different 220 volt outlets. When the ship was shifted to North America they changed one of them to the 110 volt outlet. However, I am not sure which 220 volt outlet the Spirit has.

Therefore I would buy a kit that would include all, just to be safe. I don't remember which one, but maybe someone can. I could do some elimination and bring the total down to a few. I would eliminate from the top 2,5,6,7. 3 is the American outlet, already aboard, thus leaving 1, 4, and 8. I hope this helps. Most likely 1 and 8, but it could be a 4.

Its not like these adapters cost a lot. I suggest buying the 3 I suspect, or all seven ypu need

You can buy a dual voltage hair dryer at Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. They are usually at least one brand stocked. Even my grocery store has one in stock.

You should get one for traveling abroad. Don't plug your 110 volt hair dryer into a 220 volt outlet. America uses wider gauge wires in its housing compared to nations with 220 volt narrow gauge wires. Since they use more voltage they don't need our wider wiring. Its a good way to blow the circuit breakers and your dryer. American hair dryers use more amps than hair dryers built for 220 volts. Its really that simple.

Don, thanks for the feedback. The voltage conveter kits we have each came with a set of six different adapters, and from what I can see, they include ones which will definitely fit outlets 1, 4 or 8. Given the Spirit was orginally the Superstar Leo doing cruises out of Hong Kong, I strongly suspect the 220 outlet is the generic "U.K. variant" (#4), but if it's one of the others we're still prepared.

The reason I'm bringing the adapters isn't to support items with motors, such as blow dryers, so the cycle difference mentioned by cmd isn't a concern. Rather, it's for other small hair appliances that have heating elements (such as curling irons) that run between 125 and 180 watts. I've read too many stories here about small cell phone and camera chargers tripping the circuit breakers on the 120 outlets to trust them to handle the current-intensive hair stuff. I also don't want to have to worry about charging my camcorder and camera batteries.

Also, I'll take a photo of the 220 outlet in our cabin and post it here when we return in late February, so we can resolve this proverbial question once and for all!!!!

I bought a set of converter plugs for our last cruise on the Spirit, and none of them worked because the plug was recessed -- you'd need some kind of "extension" to make it work, which of course I didn't have. So I bought the converters and my blow dryer for nothing. I used the blow dryer in the bathroom -- my hair is very fine and thin, and the blow dryer was much too hot!:rolleyes:

I thought I saw someone on here mention an "extension" converter? Where would you buy that? Just wondering for our NEXT cruise on the Spirit -- despite the plug and blow dryer issues, we'd sail on this ship again in a heartbeat!;)

I bought a set of converter plugs for our last cruise on the Spirit, and none of them worked because the plug was recessed -- you'd need some kind of "extension" to make it work

Heh heh - well, I'm ready for that!!! The voltage converters I have aren't the usual "wall wart "design like the picture below (ergo, a box where the plug is attached directly to to rear):

ss213.gif

Yes, those won't fit into a recessed area - which the Spirit designers may have intentionally put in to try and keep people from using those types of voltage converters.

However, I can get around that because my converters look like the picture below. Notice the input plug is not on the converter itself but instead on a cord (which in the photo looks short, but is actually almost four long). Because it's just a small plug on a cord, it can fit into a recessed area. Guess the ship electricians never realized that there was simple work-around to their attempt to "block" voltage conversion.:)

f200w.jpg

There are two types of adapters, the voltage converters and the converter/transformers.

Voltage converters are cheap, less than $10. The converter/transformers are more expensive, up to $60.

If you wish to use 110 volt AC applicances with the 220 volt outlets get the more expensive converter/transformers adpater.

If you wish to use a dual voltage appliance such as a hair dryer, get the cheaper voltage converter adapter.

I wanted to meke this very clear. See this site:

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/

Archived