Dining Room Attire Thought

Editor

2boyzmom, Your boys will look fine, and I will not turn my nose up at them at all, like perhaps some uptight geezers may.

In the UK don't little boys wear longish shorts for casual and semi formal, , funny I seem to recall seeing them on the young Princes,and I KNOW I have seen them on little pages in wedding ceremonies.

Perhaps some of our uptight folks are concerned that your little boys shorts will be dirty jean cut off types, which , I know is exactly what you DIDN"T mean at all.

I have never seen this dress code RULE that some speak of, I have seen SUGGESTED GUIDELINES, and I believe that it is the spirit of the meaning that some miss.

Don't dress like a slob, for instance if my hubby wears a dirty dress shirt that needs ironing , do you think that is MORE acceptable then a clean crisp polo shirt?

I have NEVER been offended by anyone dressing down, but I have seem some ladies with too much makeup on, reeking of perfume , wearing cheap tacky sequined dresses, thinking they are all that , but we think they look like cheap tarts and laugh at them. I guess they think they are dressed up , but they look silly to us.

Everyone mind their own dang business, and please post a picture of anyone seen in the dining room in flip flops and rumpled dirty clothes... I 'll be waiting for that photo , and I am sure I'll never actually see it. Some uptight people always say that is the way things are going, but I have never seen that and I think it is just the "sky is falling" mentality of the fearful.

I was on the NCL Pearl 12/22/2006 and Jeans are not Allowed in the Dining Rooms, If you read the recent cruisers comments from the 9 Day Cruises there is still no Jeans allowed, having said that yes some are wearing them.

I know you went on the Pearl in December and these cruisers went in January and reporting this. We don't know for sure unless we see it with our own eyes right now or someone takes a current picture right?

I have been intensely following everything about the Diamond Princess and the Norwegian Pearl since we sail both this year. Just like we have found with Princess, things will change from voyage to voyage.

I have never seen this dress code RULE that some speak of, I have seen SUGGESTED GUIDELINES, and I believe that it is the spirit of the meaning of the fearful.

http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

Pardon me, but rules are vastly different from suggestions and guidelines. I am a rules girls. I follow them. HOWEVER, I also believe in the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. Wearing my nice, boutique jeans with a beautiful top and sandals to the dining room may go against the letter of the Princess "law" (probably written ages ago) but not against the spirit of looking nice and "dressing up". (Yes, fuddy duddies, the right jeans are now considered dressing up and can get you into almost ANY nice restaurant in Manhattan as well as the theater on Broadway.) Straight-from-the-farm Levi's go against both the letter and the spirit.

Trust me, my attire will not ever embarrass you or make you look down on me.

Maybe a double post from me? If so, just wanted to say: Best post ever!

Excuse me- are you comparing good values to shorts? Give me a break.

I think you may have misunderstood burlingtoncruiser 's point. She didn't say anything about values. She said that dining out with grown folks would be a good experience for children. It would be a good time to teach a little etiquette. That is what I thought of the comment....but I've been known to be incorrect...but rarely:D :D .

The trouble with letting everyone dress as they like is that not everybody has the same idea of appropriate attire! I saw a teenage girl in a dental floss bikini, surrounded by four bare chested young men trying to get into the dining room. (Where was her mother?!) Then there was the 50-ish, hairy chested man with a serious gut, dressed only in a beach towel. He just wanted some dessert. :eek: (Maybe he had a swimsuit on under the towel - who could tell?) If there are no rules, then somebody will offend - all the while proudly stating,"But, it's MY VACATION!") Oh yes, Grandma in her tube top! Please! I like Princess just the way it is.

I think that its wonderful if you want to dress for dinner. But you shouldn't feel out of place if you don't. And why should I eat at the buffet because of how I'm dressed? I should be able to eat in the dining room. And maybe I don't want to cruise NCL.

All I'm saying is to each his own.

Your's is a totally childish attitude. one of " I should be able to do what I want, it doesn't matter what the venue requires or what other parties might be booking for If I don't like the rules I will ignore them."

There are other lines that cater to this, and there are other venues that you are instructed by Princess to go to if you don't want to dress.

and Yes it offends me what you where, I go to the dining room which is a nice, formal setting not a cafeteria, in order to have a formal or elegant experience, having people at the next table dressed in jeans spoils that atmosphere.

I have a right to expect if Princess states, Ok this is the rules of conduct on this cruise, that If I obey those rules that I can expect the experience they are selling me.

Just like when I cruise NCL I have to accept the fact that the whole experience will be downgraded from what it used to be.

I am sick and tired of people who say to heck with everyone else and stated policy etc. I am going to do what I want.

It shows the person to be a boor and someone totally self centered and disrespectful of everyone else.

I know you went on the Pearl in December and these cruisers went in January and reporting this. We don't know for sure unless we see it with our own eyes right now or someone takes a current picture right?

I have been intensely following everything about the Diamond Princess and the Norwegian Pearl since we sail both this year. Just like we have found with Princess, things will change from voyage to voyage.

There are also some cruisers since myself who have posted the Freestyle Dailies from the cruise, the policy hasn't changed but it appears there are many who do wear them and the policy is not enforced.

cc: Cruisincarrie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=474235

We are just back from the Pearl 1/19 sailing. There were two optional formal nights (the first sea day and the Tortola day). I would say that less than half the ship dressed for them. It really did feel like "anything goes." There were some in formal wear on other nights too. We love to dress up, so we did on the two nights. I can't miss an opportunity to have my girls all dressed up and get some family pictures.

It shows the person to be a boor and someone totally self centered and disrespectful of everyone else.

Hello! Does anyone see the irony here? It seems that the people who are so concerned with their personal opinions about what others wear are the ones who are being "self centered and disrespectful of everyone else"!!!!! I just cannot fathom how what someone else is wearing to dinner could possibly bother some people to such a great extent! You must really lead a very blessed life if that's something you actually have the time and energy to even think about!

Your's is a totally childish attitude. one of " I should be able to do what I want, it doesn't matter what the venue requires or what other parties might be booking for If I don't like the rules I will ignore them."

There are other lines that cater to this, and there are other venues that you are instructed by Princess to go to if you don't want to dress.

and Yes it offends me what you where, I go to the dining room which is a nice, formal setting not a cafeteria, in order to have a formal or elegant experience, having people at the next table dressed in jeans spoils that atmosphere.

I have a right to expect if Princess states, Ok this is the rules of conduct on this cruise, that If I obey those rules that I can expect the experience they are selling me.

Just like when I cruise NCL I have to accept the fact that the whole experience will be downgraded from what it used to be.

I am sick and tired of people who say to heck with everyone else and stated policy etc. I am going to do what I want.

You should be enjoying your own dinner with your own company. I don't know how you see what pants people are wearing under the linen table cloths.

Quite frankly, I would rather sit with someone wearing jeans than to sit with someone dressed appropriately that just rudely squashed me in the elevator.

Can we say "irony"? I think your concern with your personal opinion of what others wear is truly the definition of "self centered".

(Again - sorry if I'm double posting with slightly different words. The "Posting Gods" seem to be a little sensitive tonight. I don't know: Maybe they think the attire "guidelines" need to be accepted as though they are a new amendment to the Constitution!!!!)

2boyzmom, Your boys will look fine, and I will not turn my nose up at them at all, like perhaps some uptight geezers may.

In the UK don't little boys wear longish shorts for casual and semi formal, , funny I seem to recall seeing them on the young Princes,and I KNOW I have seen them on little pages in wedding ceremonies.

Perhaps some of our uptight folks are concerned that your little boys shorts will be dirty jean cut off types, which , I know is exactly what you DIDN"T mean at all.

I have never seen this dress code RULE that some speak of, I have seen SUGGESTED GUIDELINES, and I believe that it is the spirit of the meaning that some miss.

Don't dress like a slob, for instance if my hubby wears a dirty dress shirt that needs ironing , do you think that is MORE acceptable then a clean crisp polo shirt?

I have NEVER been offended by anyone dressing down, but I have seem some ladies with too much makeup on, reeking of perfume , wearing cheap tacky sequined dresses, thinking they are all that , but we think they look like cheap tarts and laugh at them. I guess they think they are dressed up , but they look silly to us.

Everyone mind their own dang business, and please post a picture of anyone seen in the dining room in flip flops and rumpled dirty clothes... I 'll be waiting for that photo , and I am sure I'll never actually see it. Some uptight people always say that is the way things are going, but I have never seen that and I think it is just the "sky is falling" mentality of the fearful.

Thanks PG. I'm signing off from this thread to go iron the boys short sets . By the way- their handmade from Hawaii and cuter than any pair of khakis and polo shirt :)

I think you may have misunderstood burlingtoncruiser 's point. She didn't say anything about values. She said that dining out with grown folks would be a good experience for children. It would be a good time to teach a little etiquette. That is what I thought of the comment....but I've been known to be incorrect...but rarely:D :D .

Rarely? Hiya sweetie :D:D

Hello! Does anyone see the irony here? It seems that the people who are so concerned with their personal opinions about what others wear are the ones who are being "self centered and disrespectful of everyone else"!!!!! I just cannot fathom how what someone else is wearing to dinner could possibly bother some people to such a great extent! You must really lead a very blessed life if that's something you actually have the time and energy to even think about!

Maybe the menu is boring or the food really bad that they spend there time in the dining room worrying about what everyone else is wearing!!!!:D :D

You know what? If I'm sitting in the dining room and people come in who are dressed in a manner that is, say "different" than what I or my family might wear - I look at it as "entertaining", certainly not "offensive". I imagine some of the outfits (both formal and casual, and everything in between) make for some good people watching! Again, I just can't grasp why some people need to take it so darn personally when someone else dresses in a way that they think is not acceptable.

Does anyone remember last year when some girls' sports team (volleyball/lacrosse?) had an invitation to the White House. People were horrified because many of the girls wore flip flops with their lovely dresses. Was it the end of the world for anyone? Did President Bush NOT allow them access to the White House because they had on flip flops? Would I really want my daughter to wear flip flops to the White House? Probably not because I think they look silly. Would I really choose that as a life-altering battle to have with her? Definitely not. It's way too trivial as far as I'm concerned. Just like what anyone else chooses to wear at dinner. Way too trivial. My point is: Lighten up!!!

Trust me, my attire will not ever embarrass you or make you look down on me.

I don't care if your jeans are $20 K-Mart or $200 designer-they are still denim and not acceptable in the dining room.

Your actions will not embarass me but it might get you barred from the dining room depending on the ship and MD. I would never look down on anyone-my Mother taught me better. She even taught me to wear proper attire when requested.:)

I still think the whole jean thing and we are talking about nice designer jeans is a generation era thing and where you are from. I have noticed people in the Northeast dress up more more than the Southwest, for example.

I know when people talk about jeans they are not referring to Farmer Brown type.

Personally, I believe that relaxing social standards in any arena encourages more of the behaviors we dislike, whether it be chair hogs, line-butting, or whatever. Honestly, the standards Princess sets aren't very restrictive nor are they difficult to follow. Most nights, it's dress up just a little, and some nights, it's dress up a little more. That should give most people plenty of room to be comfortable and display a little respect for those whose opinion is different.

Amen, brother. We see constant complaints on this board about how the quality standards at Princess have dropped, but not many people seem to recognize the relationship between the standard of quality the cruise line presents and the standard of quality the passenger presents. Why should the cruise line ensure their quality is top of the line if the passengers are only interested in a fast food meal in shorts and t-shirts?

If one doesn’t want to dress for dinner, there are alternatives including not taking a cruise vacation. For those of us who appreciate the “finer” things, we’d appreciate if you didn’t demonstrate to the cruise line that lower standards are acceptable by the way you dress.

I think that its wonderful if you want to dress for dinner. But you shouldn't feel out of place if you don't. And why should I eat at the buffet because of how I'm dressed? I should be able to eat in the dining room. And maybe I don't want to cruise NCL.

All I'm saying is to each his own.

Why? Because the world doesn't revolve around you.

You, and only you, have consciously chosen to purchase a cruise with a dress code. As such, you are expected to follow the ship's rules, and standards of dress is one of them. If you do not wish to dress for dinner, by all means enjoy the causal buffet. Your fellow passengers are expected to follow a dress code, so why shouldn't you? If you are unhappy with Princess's policy, then I suggest you patronize a line with a dress code more conducive to your lifestyle.

Archived