Dining Room Attire Thought

Editor

[quote name='SusieQusie']I've said it before and I'll say it again: why must some people be overly concerned with what others do, especially what others wear!!![/quote]

A question for eveyone, especially those who think it is appropriate for anyone to wear whatever they want.

Would it be appropriate for someone to wear their bathing suit to dinner on formal night? Where do you draw the line?

Im my OPINION, it has already been drawn for us by the cruise lines. If they would enforce it there wouldn't be a need for this discussion. If they aren't going to enforce it, then they should do away with dress codes all together.

[quote name='SusieQusie']Boy - read the following quotes paying close attention to the "tone" and attitude" of the posters: [/quote][quote name='SusieQusie']As someone new to cruising and these boards, here are my observations -

I'm glad I've read that only a small percentage of cruisers actually post on these boards. If I thought most people on cruises had this type of attitude, I'd be really SCARED to step on-board!

Part of me thinks that everyone posting with the nice, mellow attitude about how other people dress for dinner, should just eat at the buffet to stay away from these closed-minded, holier-than-thou types who can't possibly be ANY FUN to eat with. However, the little "devil" in me WANTS to wear jeans into the dining room just to tick them off - and I don't particularly like jeans!!! (In all honesty I wouldn't wear anything too casual into the dining room because I personally wouldn't feel comfortable if I were too dressed-down. But if someone else wants to: have at it!!! I just hope for their sake, they're at my table and not - heaven forbid - sitting right next to one of the posters above.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: why must some people be overly concerned with what others do, especially what others wear!!![/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Do you think that maybe the tone and attitude of these posts might be rooted in the fact that the posters have come to a cruise line based on the product offered and then have to deal with people who blatantly disregard simple dress guidelines? This ain’t brain surgery, folks…it’s a simple identifying of what is appropriate to wear. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Dressing less than the guidelines can be rationalized forever, but the fact still remains that Princess publishes these guidelines in an effort to present a certain atmosphere on board. That atmosphere is something the majority of passengers take part in and enjoy – whether a vocal minority of passengers prefer casual or not. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Why does someone wearing inappropriate clothing bother me? Because it shows little respect for the evening I would like to experience and it shows even less respect for what the cruise line is trying to present. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I totally don’t understand the angst of the casual amongst us. There are cruise lines – both higher and lower on the scale than Princess – that provide a totally casual experience. Go there and leave the rest of us alone.[/FONT]

[quote name='RodneyG']I was on a Cruise last year where formal included full scottish regalia and there were a few scots aboard that wore it to formal nights naked steel, dirk and all , much to the admiration of all. There were a few other folk aboard that wore cultural garb at formal and it was great. (indian , American Indian , African)
I myself although not asian , wore manadrin collared black silk embroidered jackets and got a ton of compliments. Formal isnt just a tux.[/quote]

So true, but neither are jeans!

"A vocal minority"... I 'm sorry, but the traditionalist who seem to resent cruisers more casual approach seem to be the minority, not the casual cruisers or the " live and let live and butt out " cruisers.

The last cruise I was on had NO CHILDREN running amok. It did have some ADULTS who got on the elevators with us after returning from port and they were dead DRUNK at 4 in the afternoon, very LOUD and smelly ( beer) and used foul language.

I also witnessed a VERY RUDE MATURE lady push her way in front of a young teen boy who was waiting for the buffet. She also "forgot" to use the hand sanitizer and had to be called back by staff. She didn't even apoligize to the boy. I was steaming and he just shrugged his shoulders and looked at me, because he was polite and the ADULT was rude.

I agree with SuzieQusie, some of the posters here really would scare off people by their rigid and judgemetal attitudes. ...

I dress up but if you don't want to I am just happy to see you having a good time.

PS Why do some posters insist on saying things like people will show up to formal night in a bathing suit, or cut offs .,, or flip flops, I have never seen it and I doubt they have either, they seem to think that they are making a point , but all they are doing is crying " the sky is falling" and " the fall of civilization is because... "

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Do you think that maybe the tone and attitude of these posts might be rooted in the fact that the posters have come to a cruise line based on the product offered and then have to deal with people who blatantly disregard simple dress guidelines? This ain’t brain surgery, folks…it’s a simple identifying of what is appropriate to wear. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Dressing less than the guidelines can be rationalized forever, but the fact still remains that Princess publishes these guidelines in an effort to present a certain atmosphere on board. That atmosphere is something the majority of passengers take part in and enjoy – whether a vocal minority of passengers prefer casual or not. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Why does someone wearing inappropriate clothing bother me? Because it shows little respect for the evening I would like to experience and it shows even less respect for what the cruise line is trying to present. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I totally don’t understand the angst of the casual amongst us. There are cruise lines – both higher and lower on the scale than Princess – that provide a totally casual experience. Go there and leave the rest of us alone.[/FONT][/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking, but just didn't quite know how to express it. Thank you.

pg.[I]"PS Why do some posters insist on saying things like people will show up to formal night in a bathing suit, or cut offs .,, or flip flops, I have never seen it and I doubt they have either, they seem to think that they are making a point , but all they are doing is crying " the sky is falling" and " the fall of civilization is because... "[/I]

I have seen this...on Carnival!

[quote name='safety']If anyone chooses to book a cruise, it is spelled out in the cruise information provided to the passenger,what proper attire is acceptable and standard in each dining area. The passenger when booking accepts these guidlines. Fellow passengers also expect that these guidlines will be followed. For someone to "makeup" their own guidlines is immature. Paying for a cruise does not intitle one to make up the "rules".:)[/quote]

Yes, yes, there are lots of rules in all the documents etc. that are sent to you, however most of them are ignored to a certain extent by all. Some of them have a basis in preventing disease, and denying access to others. Some of them are completely arbitrary and are there solely for the enrichment of the cruiselines. Others are there solely as a suggestion so that those that can't make decisions for themselves have something to go by.

The first set of course apply to babies in the pool, no running or diving
The second set to those that save seats for people
The third go to having your own booze on the ship
The fourth are of course the dress code and tipping guidelines.

So yes, as long as people can make their own decisions about things, the "rules" will be adapted to suit the persons own sensibilites. No matter what amount of whinging is done by others, people will continue to do so.

Cheers,
Peter

[quote name='peterv']

So yes, as long as people can make their own decisions about things, the "rules" will be adapted to suit the persons own sensibilites. No matter what amount of whinging is done by others, people will continue to do so.

Cheers,
Peter[/QUOTE]

This certainly speaks more to who we are as a society, than as to what we wear on a cruise ship. Quite said if you ask me.

Chef

[quote name='from the desert']Still waiting for someone to show me the "rules" that I sign when putting down my deposit for a trip. If there is a "legal phrase" in my cruise documents that say by going on a cruise I will abide by all of the cruise line suggestions for dress, etc. please post it here.

I'm still looking....[/QUOTE]

You will not find it, and it was never suggested by any poster that you would find this, or that this was required.

However, if you read your cruise documents you will note that you are in a contract, and do agree to adhere to the rules, and policies of the cruise line. The fact that they choose not to enforce the policy does not nullify its force.

Should they decide at a later date to strictly enforce that policy, anyone who chose to violate it would find themselves doing just what has been suggested. Eating at an alternative venue, rather than making their own rules.

Chef

We love to dress up and also see what others wear. If you don't like to dress up, there are places to eat other than the dining room including your cabin. However, I have never seen anyone turned away at a dining room for a dress code violation. Has anyone?

[quote name='from the desert']Still waiting for someone to show me the "rules" that I sign when putting down my deposit for a trip. If there is a "legal phrase" in my cruise documents that say by going on a cruise I will abide by all of the cruise line suggestions for dress, etc. please post it here.

I'm still looking....[/quote]

You actually do not have to sign the contract. When paying your deposit, you are accepting that you will abide by the rules set in the contract. Princess mails you a copy of this contract.

“You,” “Your” and “Passenger” mean the person(s) purchasing or accepting this Passage Ticket and Contract or anyone who uses it and persons in their care, including any minor, and their heirs, relatives and personal representatives. Passenger represents that he or she is authorized by all Passengers to accept and agree to all the terms and conditions of the Passage Contract.

[B]13. RESPONSIBILITY TO COMPLY WITH LAW AND REGULATIONS OF SHIP; NO SOLICITATION.[/B]
You shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of all immigration, port, health, customs, and police authorities, and all other laws and regulations of each country or state from or to which You will travel and You agree to reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that it may incur as a result of Your noncompliance. You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain. You shall not solicit other Passengers for commercial purposes or advertise goods or services on board the ship without Carrier’s prior written permission.

Just curious as to what people are so afraid of if the cruise industry switches to more casual cruising to allow those that did not want to dress up so formally for vacation the opportunity to get addicted to cruising.

You can always eat at a land based restaurant and dress up formally or still dress up formally on the cruise ship. I highly doubt the cruise industry will do away with the photo ops as that is very profitable for them. Allowing more vacationing people by creating a more casual atmosphere allows for more revenue for the ships.

I kinda see it that from long time cruisers there is resistance to let go of the formal atmosphere past. Sometimes cruising is a way for those who don't get out much to dress up and I understand this as well as those who don't work and have to dress up daily to want to have that chance to dress up, but many, many people go to work having to dress up and just want to kick back and relax on a vacation and this does not mean dressing like a slob for dinner.

[quote name='CrusinAgain'][COLOR="Red"]Just curious as to what people are so afraid of if the cruise industry switches to more casual cruising to allow those that did not want to dress up so formally for vacation the opportunity to get addicted to cruising.[/COLOR]

You can always eat at a land based restaurant and dress up formally or still dress up formally on the cruise ship. I highly doubt the cruise industry will do away with the photo ops as that is very profitable for them. Allowing more vacationing people by creating a more casual atmosphere allows for more revenue for the ships.

I kinda see it that from long time cruisers there is resistance to let go of the formal atmosphere past. Sometimes cruising is a way for those who don't get out much to dress up and I understand this as well as those who don't work and have to dress up daily to want to have that chance to dress up, but many, many people go to work having to dress up and just want to kick back and relax on a vacation and this does not mean dressing like a slob for dinner.[/QUOTE]

personally I am not afraid of anything in that regard.
But, until said time that the cruise line actually changes the rules of what is suggested attire i feel you should make an effort to comply.

Bill

[quote name='pg.']"A vocal minority"... I 'm sorry, but the traditionalist who seem to resent cruisers more casual approach seem to be the minority, not the casual cruisers or the " live and let live and butt out " cruisers.

The last cruise I was on had NO CHILDREN running amok. It did have some ADULTS who got on the elevators with us after returning from port and they were dead DRUNK at 4 in the afternoon, very LOUD and smelly ( beer) and used foul language.

I also witnessed a VERY RUDE MATURE lady push her way in front of a young teen boy who was waiting for the buffet. She also "forgot" to use the hand sanitizer and had to be called back by staff. She didn't even apoligize to the boy. I was steaming and he just shrugged his shoulders and looked at me, because he was polite and the ADULT was rude.

I agree with SuzieQusie, some of the posters here really would scare off people by their rigid and judgemetal attitudes. ...

I dress up but if you don't want to I am just happy to see you having a good time.

PS Why do some posters insist on saying things like people will show up to formal night in a bathing suit, or cut offs .,, or flip flops, I have never seen it and I doubt they have either, they seem to think that they are making a point , but all they are doing is crying " the sky is falling" and " the fall of civilization is because... "[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I disagree with your first statement. If you get on a Princess ship on a formal night and take a look around, you’ll see the majority of passengers participate right down to what they are wearing. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]As for rude adults on a cruise ship, what does that have to do with manner of dress? Besides a disregard for the guidelines (which equates to being rude) there’s nothing in common with people pushing in line and dressing inappropriately.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]As for the sky falling, on my Island Princess cruise two years ago, a family dressed in shorts, flip flops and Hawaiian shirts tried to gain entrance to the dining room on formal night. They were politely turned away by the Matre’d. So people say things about how people will show up at the dining room because they’ve seen it happen. [quote name='CrusinAgain'][FONT=Verdana]Just curious as to what people are so afraid of if the cruise industry switches to more casual cruising to allow those that did not want to dress up so formally for vacation the opportunity to get addicted to cruising.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]You can always eat at a land based restaurant and dress up formally or still dress up formally on the cruise ship. I highly doubt the cruise industry will do away with the photo ops as that is very profitable for them. Allowing more vacationing people by creating a more casual atmosphere allows for more revenue for the ships. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I kinda see it that from long time cruisers there is resistance to let go of the formal atmosphere past. Sometimes cruising is a way for those who don't get out much to dress up and I understand this as well as those who don't work and have to dress up daily to want to have that chance to dress up, but many, many people go to work having to dress up and just want to kick back and relax on a vacation and this does not mean dressing like a slob for dinner. [/FONT][/quote] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]No one is asking those who do not want to dress formally not to get addicted to cruising. Princess provides a casual alternative to the formal evenings for those who choose not to participate. And casual dress is appropriate for most of the evenings on board. So how is a formal evening a couple of times a cruise marginalizing those who don’t want to wear formal attire?[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]One can dress formally anytime they’d like on a cruise ship – but dressing formally and having a formal evening are two different things…that’s what the pro-casual contingent seems not to understand. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Those who want to kick back on vacation have ample opportunity on a Princess ship to do so. And relaxing the dress guidelines in the dining rooms will eventually result in people dressed like slobs attending formal dinners – already people think Smart Casual includes jeans, t-shirts and ball caps…hence the reminders that it doesn’t. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I maintain my point – there are plenty of alternatives, including other cruise lines, for those who prefer not to partake in formal evenings on cruise ships. Ignoring the dress guidelines cheapens the experience for those who enjoy the formal evenings (so shows no respect for fellow passengers) and demonstrates to the cruise lines that a lower quality product is acceptable (and so shows no respect for fellow passengers). [/FONT]
[/FONT]

[quote name='CrusinAgain']Just curious as to what people are so afraid of if the cruise industry switches to more casual cruising to allow those that did not want to dress up so formally for vacation the opportunity to get addicted to cruising.[/quote]
When you get right down to it, the system Princess has actually works pretty well in practice. Most people, even those who argue against dress codes vehemently, seem to at least have a sense of what is required and aren't going to the worst extremes of dress. I think when people hear the word "jeans" they think raggedy levi's that have possibly seen the worst side of home oil change disasters and other such things.

At least with the policies in place today (and please, let's not get into semantics, use the noun of your choice) the vast majority stay within shouting distance of what is intended even if they don't precisely comply. Basically, everyone generally looks and acts presentable and in spite of the picture painted in these threads, we all get along just fine on board.

The fear is that if we didn't have those codes or they were significantly watered down, then we would see the those shabby old levi's, cut off Old Navy cargo pants, logo t-shirts and the like. Basically, I'd like to see some sense of decorum remain, even if it's at a lowest common denominator level. It's really not even a fear, just a desire not to see a Princess cruise turn into something indistinguishable from a State Fair. (You've got to see an Oklahoma state fair to get the full impact of that statement - :eek: ). Cheers to all, let's have a beer now.

Over and over people that start this thread over and over are obviously bored

[quote name='Editor']Okay. I may be starting a huge fued, but because so many people stress over the proper attire, maybe people should be allowed to wear what they want (within reason of course). I mean, what's wrong with a very nice pair of jeans or cotton slacks, capris, etc. I don't see why there has to be this uptight formality.

We're all on vacation! We should be able to relax and wear what we want.

I've been to many beautiful resorts and have seen people wear everything from shorts and sandals, to gorgeous dresses and suits. I don't CARE what YOU have on!! Enjoy and have a great time in the style that suits you.

My two cents worth.[/quote]

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]As for rude adults on a cruise ship, what does that have to do with manner of dress? Besides a disregard for the guidelines (which equates to being rude) there’s nothing in common with people pushing in line and dressing inappropriately.[/FONT][/quote]

When I refer to "rude" people, I'm commenting on the way some people respond on these boards. It just seems that the people who feel so strongly about following the dress code to a T are the same ones who respond so rudely, arrogantly, snidely, and down-right nastily to other posters who disagree with them. It seems like the casual dressers just have a more easy-going attitude all around. I'm going to assume that the anonymous nature of these boards must bring out the worst in some people and they wouldn't actually speak to others in the same manner that they choose to "write" to them here. I try not to write anything that I wouldn't say to someone's face. I think it's rude to suggest to someone to stay out of the dining room if they don't want to dress up. And with such attitude no less!!!!

IF PRINCESS WANTS THIS [U][B]GUIDELINE[/B][/U] ENFORCED, THEY'LL ENFORCE IT.

Again, I'd rather spend my evening with pleasant, fun-loving people in jeans, than someone who looks beautiful in formal attire but is either sneering at me behind my back, judging me and my kids by what we wear, or just being outwardly nasty to me (like some are on these boards).

[quote name='SusieQusie']It just seems that the people who feel so strongly about following the dress code to a T are the same ones who respond so rudely, arrogantly, snidely, and down-right nastily to other posters who disagree with them. It seems like the casual dressers just have a more easy-going attitude all around. [/QUOTE]

I've got to disagree with you on that assessment - very few posters have responded "rudely, arrogantly, snidely and down-right nastily to other posters who disagree with them" - at least as far as this thread is concerned - and of those few who have done so, it's pretty much a split between those for and those against. For the most part, it's been a pretty civil exchange. Just because one stands his/her ground in opposition to another does not mean one is being either rude or nasty, whether that person is in favor or opposed.
At the very least, respect the right of someone to disagree with you as you wish others to respect your right to disagree with them.

[quote name='SusieQusie']I think it's rude to suggest to someone to stay out of the dining room if they don't want to dress up.[/QUOTE]

In that case, I suggest you take it up with Princess since it's the cruise line itself that requests passengers respect the evening dress code if they wish to dine in the main dining room and it is the cruise line that provides alternative dining venues for those who choose not to comply. Please don't kill the messenger because you dislike the message.

[quote name='happyscot']In Scotland, one wears a dress kilt to formal occasions. One also, of course, wears nothing underneath it. Commando, as the youth of today so coarsely put it. But one does wear a large dagger in one's sock. This is our formal dress, and believe me, on formal occasions in Scotland, 60 - 80% of the guys will turn up exactly that way.

(Romantics like to think this dates back to when Highlanders charged naked over the glens hell-bent on swerering Englishmen. Wishful thinking. (Very wishful). Actually it's a highly stylised form of dress invented for George III when he made his famous visit to Edinburgh to signal the English establishment's acceptance of the post-Jacobite Scottish nobility. It bears very little resemblance indeed to truely traditional highland dress - google away).

Now does your insistence on formal dress extend to allowing me to enter the sacrosanct dining room with nae knickers on and a big sharp knife in me underwear? Cos that's what we wear.

If it's yes, then I'm with the fuddy-duddy's - sincerely. Me and the boss are planning for our first Princess cruise, with full complement of suits, ties and posh dresses, out of respect for you, and out of the fun of doing so. But if you fuddies (by the way, you would not BELIEVE how that translates into Scottish dialect - please don't ask) won't tolerate my aereated privates and weapons of minor destruction, then I'm with the Jeanies, because then otherwise it's just Western cultural imperialism, isn't it.

In some societies of course, formal dress requires ladies to be bare-breasted and men to reveal their private parts altogether, perhaps with the addition of various items designed to - shall we say - accentuate their formality. It goes without saying that you will of course also respect and revere these forms of formal attire. I don't for a minute think that you only mean American formal dress, you mean formal dress period of course, requiring as much respect for other cultures' behavioural norms as you're own.

Be nice. If you can't be nice, for God's sake be funny.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/quote]

Hi. I'll be going on my first cruise ever, and I am both amazed and amused at the postings on this thread!

We WILL be following the dress code, as Princess has stated. If my boys don't care to dress the second formal nite, they can order in or go to the buffet w/o us!

Personally, I am hoping this Scotsman is on our cruise, the Sapphire Princess, sailing on July 21-28. He sounds like a lot more fun than most of the other posters! I enjoyed Scotland and everyone I met there 3 years ago. (If you need any assistance with your kilt, please call!!)

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. It it RUDE for someone to suggest that anyone else avoid the dining room. Again, if and when Princess decides that they want to enforce their guidelines, that's when people should avoid the dining room. When the Maitre D' does not allow them entrance, I guess there won't be any further discussion for that particular cruiser. I just don't think another passenger has the right to tell people where to eat.

Also, I'm sticking by my first assertion. I like to read these "dress" threads. I think it's because a few weeks ago I made the mistake of asking a relatively simple question about how teens need to dress during an August cruise. Well, you should have seen the venemous, judgemental, arrogant replies I received. I was shocked. I guess I read them now because I still can't quite get over how people "speak" to others on these boards.

This thread has been relatively civil - although again, I think the person I quoted was being rude. If you go back and look at most of these threads, however, I really do think you'll find that the "dressy" crowd does tend to sound like the more "rude" crowd. At least to me.

I think that some don't realize they are being rude. With the invention of e-mail and message boards and the like a new way of communication has evloved. I know I did not know how I was being taken, what I thought was funny others took as arrogant, obnoxious, or down right mean, and this was at work. It took my manager having a sit down with me about my e-mail and written messages.

While I agree with SQ on this point[QUOTE]

Again, I'd rather spend my evening with pleasant, fun-loving people in jeans, than someone who looks beautiful in formal attire but is either sneering at me behind my back, judging me and my kids by what we wear, or just being outwardly nasty to me (like some are on these boards).
[/QUOTE]
I do wish people wouldn't just assume they can do whatever they want because they paid their fare. It is a tough point for Princess but I do wish they would enforce their rules, all of them. To include, chair hogs, dining room attire, and the others.

By the way there are just as many jerks in jeans as there are jerks in tuxes.

I find it fascinating that no one directly addressed my other questions as to where do you draw the line? Do you just let anyone in the dining room wearing whatever they want. I mean, they did pay their fare so they should be able to do whatever they want correct?

[quote name='SusieQusie']Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. It it RUDE for someone to suggest that anyone else avoid the dining room. Again, if and when Princess decides that they want to enforce their guidelines, that's when people should avoid the dining room. When the Maitre D' does not allow them entrance, I guess there won't be any further discussion for that particular cruiser. I just don't think another passenger has the right to tell people where to eat.

Also, I'm sticking by my first assertion. I like to read these "dress" threads. I think it's because a few weeks ago I made the mistake of asking a relatively simple question about how teens need to dress during an August cruise. Well, you should have seen the venemous, judgemental, arrogant replies I received. I was shocked. I guess I read them now because I still can't quite get over how people "speak" to others on these boards.

This thread has been relatively civil - although again, I think the person I quoted was being rude. If you go back and look at most of these threads, however, I really do think you'll find that the "dressy" crowd does tend to sound like the more "rude" crowd. At least to me.[/QUOTE]

It really is all perception. Most people automatically cast assumptions on those who disagree with them.

You need to keep in mind that this particular subject gets debated ad nauseum on cruise boards every few months.

If you re-read many of the posts, you will notice that it is not even a dressy vs. casual issue, but a rules vs. I'll do want I want issue. The fact that the cruise line does not enforce the rules does not mean that the individual gets to determine what works for them. This is the main issue that I have.

I think many of these debates could be avoided if people on these boards would actually try and search past the first page, read the FAQ's, and other related cruise information that is readily available on this, and other forums, which of course includes the Princess website and their listed dress policy.

As a final note, read the original post where the poster alludes to the fact that they are probably going to start a feud.

Regards,

Chef

Archived