are hato caves worth going?

flyingandcruising

Hello torontomale26,

I used to work as a guide at the Hato caves, and I find them interesting. The tour takes about 1 hour, the ride from the pier to the caves will take about 10 min, 15 max.

To get in the caves you have to climb a steep old stair outside the actual caves. This is the part that will be the most physically demanding. Inside the caves there is a walking route, so there won't be any rock climbing.

Contrary to what most tourists expect, it's not cold inside the caves but warm and humid. This is because the caves are not underground, or underneath massive hills, and because there are some openings in the limerock, permitting the hot air from outside to get in.

You might check out pics from visitors on http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%22hato+caves%22&btnG=Search+Images , and read their comments about the caves.

Kari.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a cave lover so I thought they were pretty cool. Fairly open and easy to walk around. Hubby thought they were "ok" but isn't into cave like me. I don't think I would do this if there was something I was more interested in. I would summarize as fun but not a must do.

We rented a car and drove to the caves.

They are pretty interesting and it is nice to learn the history of the caves.

Tours are on the hour unless there is a large group.

I am not sure how much a taxi would cost to drive to the caves. That is why we decided to rent a car and go where we wanted.

Archived