Fishing at Turneffe

Clayboyga

We're going to Belize February 11 on the Carnival Miracle. My impression is that if you don't have a shore excursion, you should just stay on the boat. Some research here has led me towards a trip to Turneffe Atol with my wife, 2 kids and mother in law. I was wondering what possibilities exist for me wondering off on my own and fishing a little. I would hate to be put into a Belizan jail for fishing without a liscense.

This is my first trip to Belize, and suggestions would be appreciated.

Carnival offers a great reef fishing tour with a local operator that picks up at the ship; the boat was called Bang Hookey. I did it last week and it was plenty of fun. 4 hours in very comfortable uncrowded boat. They have nice tackle, a lot newer than you find in most US head boats. The Captain and crew was very friendly and very interactive with the guests, making for an overall good experience. From what i learned, the fish that is not released is donated to a local orphanage. No fishing license was required as far as I know.

Carnival offers a great reef fishing tour with a local operator that picks up at the ship; the boat was called Bang Hookey. I did it last week and it was plenty of fun. 4 hours in very comfortable uncrowded boat. They have nice tackle, a lot newer than you find in most US head boats. The Captain and crew was very friendly and very interactive with the guests, making for an overall good experience. From what i learned, the fish that is not released is donated to a local orphanage. No fishing license was required as far as I know.

Archived