Tortola and St. Thomas w/ Kids

KerCar

Hi,

We'll be sailing on the Spirit out of NYC 6/2. Does anyone have any suggestions on great beaches or activities for small children in Tortola and St. Thomas??? My children will be 14 months and 4 years. Thanks in advance:)

Hi,

We'll be sailing on the Spirit out of NYC 6/2. Does anyone have any suggestions on great beaches or activities for small children in Tortola and St. Thomas??? My children will be 14 months and 4 years. Thanks in advance:)

We sailed on the NCL Spirit last August to St. Thomas, Tortola, and Bermuda. Our kids are 12 and 8 so they are not as young as yours. We loved the ship and the islands.

In St Thomas, we went to Magen's Bay. We booked through the ship. If we went again, we would just get off the ship and get an open air taxi, very easy to do. There are facilities at the beach.

When we docked in Tortola, took a ship tour and went over to Virgin Gorda. It was wonderful. Just a warning....the ferry ride over can be bumpy. Quite a few people were ill (young and old), and the weather was great but windy. The way back was smooth. I am not sure if the Baths would be for a 14 month old and a 4 year old. There was quite a trail to walk down to get to the first beach. It is rocky and uneven and at times you have to bend a bit. There is no way a stroller would work. Once down to the beach, the caves are great but again, our kids are a bit older. I think there may be some nice beaches in Tortola and much less work.

If you are going to Bermuda, Kings Wharf is great. You just walk off the ship, there are shops around and within walking distance to the ship is the Snorkel Park. It is a small beach with snack bar and chair rentals. Not the most beautiful beach by any means but nice and relaxing. There is also a water fountain that the kids play in. Easy to get to from the ship.

Sorry I could not be of more help. I hope the info gives you some idea.

Jimswims,

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

The snorkel park in Bermuda sounds really nice. I was thinking about trying to go down to the southern beaches. They are so beautiful. But something about just getting off the boat and not having to drag the kids on a taxi or bus seems great!

We took a taxi to Coki Beach in St Thomas and had a super day with our then 3yo. He spent the day playing in the sand. There's some interesting snorkeling over on the righthand side of the beach by the rocks. Vendors were nice, friendly and not pushy. End of the day, just walk up the stairs on the right to find a taxi back. We negotiated $20 each way for the three of us (in Jan of '05).

Archived