Capt McNaught Rules..........Discuss

Anteeta

I'm prompted to start this thread by a comment in another thread which remarked upon Capt McNaught being the poster's favourite Cunard Captain. I wondered what others' views are on this subject?

Who's your favourite QE2 or QM2 Captain and why?

For the record, our vote goes to the boy racer, Capt. McNaught. He saw all his passengers and crew safely through a particularly lively mid Atlantic storm on his maiden voyage in April 2003. He earned his epithet, having slowed the vessel significantly to ease the rigours of the voyage, making it as comfortable as possible for those of sensitive disposition. He made up the time lost and we arrived in NY as scheduled.

On a recent voyage to the Caribbean, where part of the trip had the QM in tow as it were, he kept us amused with his good humoured references to her slower speed. He's a personable individual and his youthful good looks belie his obvious skill and status as a world class mariner. He is good with passengers. I was also particularly interested to note that of the crew and officers that we spoke to, all had what appeared to be genuine praise for him. icon7.gif

Anyone else for Capt McNaught?

McNaught rocks.

I remember my first cruise with McNaught. I had only known Commodore Warwick before with the archetypal maritime beard, and was a bit disappointed for the captain to be young wipper snapper breaking the stereotype of facial hair in high office.

Over the next few cruises and crossings I found him to be a pretty decent bloke, and importantly, the crew love him: that is a quite an accolade for anyone in charge of a large staff and shows that he must be doing something right!

He knows and respects the ship too. Many of the Princess captains dread taking charge of this 40 year old. McNaught gives the impression that it where he has chosen to be.

Only good things to be said about the man.

McNaught rocks.

He knows and respects the ship too. Many of the Princess captains dread taking charge of this 40 year old. McNaught gives the impression that it where he has chosen to be.

many of the Princess captains? as far as I am aware, Captain Rynd is the only Princess captain to have been on the QE2, and he thoroughly enjoyed his time there

I've sailed with Capt. Wright and Commodore Warwick, (and, well a 3rd captain in Aug/Sep 1995 but have no idea who that is)

My vote goes to Wright because he was Master of QE2 when Sept. 11th occurred. His handling of the entire tragedy as we crossed the Atlantic was superb.

I've sailed with Captains Ridley, McNaught, Rynd and Warner (now Commodore) - all very professional, all clearly capable. On a personal level Ian McNaught gives off that certain something....on our third QE2 crossing with him he recognized my wife and me and said to us, with a wink, "Welcome Back". He made us feel as if we'd come home (which is exactly how we feel each time we return to QE2).

Many of the Princess captains dread taking charge of this 40 year old.

What makes you say that?

I can't speak for those who haven't actually taken command of her, but the only one who has actually done so certainly did not dread it.

Perhaps there are others that do, but frankly I can't imagine that too many Princess captains stay awake at night worrying about a "hardship posting" to QE2 ;) !

As for Capt. McNaught, I've never met him, but I've heard so many great things about him that I certaily would like to.

While most people do have their "favorites", the vast majority of comments I hear about Cunard's masters - all of them - are very positive, and I have heard every single one cited as "the best" multiple times.

Originally Posted by transat_jon viewpost.gif

Many of the Princess captains dread taking charge of this 40 year old.

What makes you say that?

Nothing more than whispers and speculation. It seems, understandably, that a ship with deep draught, limited manoeuvrability, ageing mechanics, constant media attention, multiple ports and itineraries so away from family for long stretches at a time is not for everyone.

A couple of my friends from school have master’s tickets and I know what kind of ships and routes they like. They prefer ships that are easy to handle on routes they know well - the old "easy life" thing.

But then these guys are not lining up to captain the QE2 even though everyone likes to visit!

I would certainly vote for Capt. McNaught and would endorse all that has been said.

He seems to really love the QE2 and has relished his return following his 'sabbatical' in Alaska. We were on the Trafalgar Celebration with him in 2005 - his last voyage before departing the ship. When we saw him at Christmas last year he was reminiscing fondly about that day and his dinner with the Queen (the real one!) on HMS Invincible.

He does have a less well-known soubriquet, apparently, amongst the crew - who do love him dearly. That is 'No-port McNaught' - a comment on his understandable caution in doubtful conditions. On the Christmas cruise, we missed Agadir - not his fault - but it served to support the reputation.

I am as sure as others that every Captain - Princess or otherwise - is highly able, competent and committed. For me, McNaught's palpable enthusiasm for his ship, his crew and his passengers gives him an edge. I always feel relaxed when sailing with him.

Gavin

I've been on board with Captains Warwick, Wright, McNaught, Rynd. For reasons I have stated before concerning my Cunard House Flag, my vote is for Captain Wright. He is far and above the best person/personality that I have met (for my tastes).

Ed

I've been on board with Captains Warwick, McNaught, and Rynd. On the QE2 world cruise last year Capt. Rynd often did a "walk about" on deck after his 12 Noon announcements something that I had not seen with the others. Even if Capt Rynd "was" a Princess Capt he did a very excellent job on the Queen. :)

We have cruised with Commodore Warwick and Captains Rynd and Wright. We found Rynd and Wright to be far and away the most personable and chatty. The Commodore being very traditional didn't seem to have the gift of the jab, but he did have a hell of a lot of respect from crew and passengers.

We sailed with Captain Wright on the return leg from the US after 9/11 out of Boston.

I would certainly vote for Capt. McNaught and would endorse all that has been said.

He does have a less well-known soubriquet, apparently, amongst the crew - who do love him dearly. That is 'No-port McNaught' - a comment on his understandable caution in doubtful conditions.

Gavin

:eek: :eek: So that's why we didn't stop as planned in Costa Rica!

many of the Princess captains? as far as I am aware, Captain Rynd is the only Princess captain to have been on the QE2, and he thoroughly enjoyed his time there

Absolutely true. Captain Rynd enjoyed his time in the QE2 very much and considers her to be a very special ship. He now shares the QM2 with Commodore Warner and speaks highly of the new ship. Next year he will be also in command of Queen Victoria for certain periods.

Stephen

Those of you who said Captain Chris Rynd is personable are absolutely correct.

We had the pleasure of sailing with him three times, while he was still Staff Captain for Princess; Pacific Princess, Royal Princess, and Sky Princess.

Haven't seen him since before he was promoted to full Captain - and that was a well deserved promotion, in my opinion.

No port McNaught for us! He is QE2's captain ! We were so delighted to welcome him back for the Christmas cruise and even MORE delighted when he said how nice it was to see US again.....(and invite us to his querters cocktail party !)..after his 18 month absence from the ship...amazing! Sadly we won't have him on our next 2 cruises..Capt.David Perkins,our next favourite will be fine...but we are keeping fingers crossed that McNaught will see us through the Panama canal in 2008. Till then for all who sail with him:lucky you!

On the basis that those who have posted and expressed a preference, I declare the illustrious Cat. McNaught the winner. :) :)

Well done to the other nominees who all came a close and equal second. I'm delighted to say that the good natured support for each and all is a testament in itself. There is a strong and healthy regard for the individuals and long may this be recognised and continue.

I will end as we started..........

Capt. McNaught rules!:)

I agree- Captain McNaught rules. Like someone else also commented, I was very surprised when he welcomed us back at the Captains Cocktail Party, but then thought that that was just because we were wearing our platinum pins. However, I was speaking to him later in the cruise, and found out that he did indeed remember us from previous cruises - it was not just that he saw our platinum pins. Now we're looking forward to meeting him on the 40th anniversary cruises.

Also it is very evident that he really is a massive fan of QE2, and it would be nice if he would be allowed to remain her captain as long as she is in service.

Dont know if anybody sailed under the command of the late Alan Bennell, but l do think it would take a lot to surpass his style and popularity amongst passengers and crew, Does anybody remember his Welcome parties? he did much more than "meet, greet and smile" and time wise they always over ran. On one occasion in his company in the wardroom the subject was broached and he replied with great delight that the next port was over a day away and what was the hurry, We "re on a a cruise you know !!! And his genuine love for the QE2 was second to none.

Captain Portet who was in command on my first crossing in 86 was altogether a different matter entirely!!!

Though l do think Nick Bates is my favourite captain and to be on his table was such an honour.

Guess we all have our favourites!!!

I have sailed with captains Woodall, Burton-Hall, Warwick, Hasell, Wright, Heath, McNaught, Bates and Perkins. I agree Captian McNaught is a really nice person and I was sorry to hear he had been transferred to Princess. So nice to have him back on QE2 :)

Dont know if anybody sailed under the command of the late Alan Bennell, but l do think it would take a lot to surpass his style and popularity amongst passengers and crew, Does anybody remember his Welcome parties? he did much more than "meet, greet and smile" and time wise they always over ran. On one occasion in his company in the wardroom the subject was broached and he replied with great delight that the next port was over a day away and what was the hurry, We "re on a a cruise you know !!! And his genuine love for the QE2 was second to none.

Captain Portet who was in command on my first crossing in 86 was altogether a different matter entirely!!!

Though l do think Nick Bates is my favourite captain and to be on his table was such an honour.

Guess we all have our favourites!!!

Alan Bennell was a gentleman and a star! I was fortunate to be able to sail several times in the 80's. He one told me that he was going to write a book about his career in Cunard. Previous autobiographies by Cunard masters had titles like, Captain of the Queens, I Captained the Big Ship, Queen's Company'.... etc. I asked Alan what he was going to call his. He thought for a monet then said, "I think I'll call it 'The Wasted Years'!"

Another favourite story.... when he was Night Duty Officer on the Old QUEEN ELIZABETH.... the Staff Captain called him on the walkie-talkie, "Bennell, where are you?" He replied, "On the after deck, Sir. Looking after a drunk." Staff Captain came back with, "Passenger or crew?". Bennel says, "Nope. Me!"

Ever hear the story about the Coffin Club on the old Queens? Membership was awarded to the officer who bonked a passenger in one of the coffins down in the morgue. Or the Sailing Club.... membership to thise who could get a passenger into bed.... between embarkation time and sailing time!

Another QE2 master that I got to know and like was Captain Keith Stanley. I sat at his table once in 1995. It was a disaster. The worst passengers I've ever sailed with. Dead from the nexk up. One couple even got up from the table before main course was finished and said they wabnted to go and do something else!!!! As we left the dining room after dinner Kieth says to me, "I'm going to kill that bloody Maitr'd!"

Good old days, but I'm looking forward to sailing with Ian in QE2 on the 21 day April Caribbean cruise. Before that Ruth and I are doing 46 days in Saga Rose... Sydney to Bercelona with another ex Cunarder in command... Philip Rentell. When I first met Ian back in '87 or '88 he was junior officer on watch with Phil who was the First Officer. Phil also joins the ship in Sydney relieving Captain David Warden-Owen... another ex QE2 Staff Captain.

Stephen

Stephen

Alan Bennell was a gentleman and a star! I was fortunate to be able to sail several times in the 80's. He one told me that he was going to write a book about his career in Cunard. Previous autobiographies by Cunard masters had titles like, Captain of the Queens, I Captained the Big Ship, Queen's Company'.... etc. I asked Alan what he was going to call his. He thought for a monet then said, "I think I'll call it 'The Wasted Years'!"

Another favourite story.... when he was Night Duty Officer on the Old QUEEN ELIZABETH.... the Staff Captain called him on the walkie-talkie, "Bennell, where are you?" He replied, "On the after deck, Sir. Looking after a drunk." Staff Captain came back with, "Passenger or crew?". Bennel says, "Nope. Me!"

Ever hear the story about the Coffin Club on the old Queens? Membership was awarded to the officer who bonked a passenger in one of the coffins down in the morgue. Or the Sailing Club.... membership to thise who could get a passenger into bed.... between embarkation time and sailing time!

Another QE2 master that I got to know and like was Captain Keith Stanley. I sat at his table once in 1995. It was a disaster. The worst passengers I've ever sailed with. Dead from the nexk up. One couple even got up from the table before main course was finished and said they wabnted to go and do something else!!!! As we left the dining room after dinner Kieth says to me, "I'm going to kill that bloody Maitr'd!"

Good old days, but I'm looking forward to sailing with Ian in QE2 on the 21 day April Caribbean cruise. Before that Ruth and I are doing 46 days in Saga Rose... Sydney to Bercelona with another ex Cunarder in command... Philip Rentell. When I first met Ian back in '87 or '88 he was junior officer on watch with Phil who was the First Officer. Phil also joins the ship in Sydney relieving Captain David Warden-Owen... another ex QE2 Staff Captain.

Stephen

Stephen

It's so rare I can contribute anything to these discussion of old times and old captains.

However, amazingly enough, I have sailed under both David Warden Owen (Dynasty March 97) and Keith Stanley (Crown Jewel Apr 96) Nick Bates was the Staff Captain on that voyage. I'll have to look up who Captained my previous two Cunard Cruises in 94 and 95. I believe Captain Warden-Owen left before the end of the trip (Panama Canal Voyage) as he was going to his next post, which I believe was one of the Sea Godesses. This was when the line was sold (again) while we were aboard.

Sadly, none of them ever tried to bed me anywhere... Oh well, Marc would have been jealous.

Karie,

who has fond memories

It's so rare I can contribute anything to these discussion of old times and old captains.

However, amazingly enough, I have sailed under both David Warden Owen (Dynasty March 97) and Keith Stanley (Crown Jewel Apr 96) Nick Bates was the Staff Captain on that voyage. I'll have to look up who Captained my previous two Cunard Cruises in 94 and 95. I believe Captain Warden-Owen left before the end of the trip (Panama Canal Voyage) as he was going to his next post, which I believe was one of the Sea Godesses. This was when the line was sold (again) while we were aboard.

Sadly, none of them ever tried to bed me anywhere... Oh well, Marc would have been jealous.

Karie,

who has fond memories

Karie,

Well, we did say we were discussing old captains, not young (er) officer!

OK... I'll tell you a story about an old captain. My sincerest apologies if I offend anyone.

The ols captain went ashore to visit the brothel. He paid his money and went uptairs with one of the ladies. After about ten minutes he says to the young prostitute, Well, how am I doing?" She replies, "We;; Captain, you are doing three knots." He says "What?" She says, "Captain, you are NOT hard, your and NOT in and you are NOT getting your money back!"

Stephen

Stephen,

KNOT the least offended! <LOL>

After all, sea captains are sea captains.

Well then, you might like to hear about the captain who made the following entry into the ship's log book...

"Chief Officer was drunk today."

So the Chief Officer made another entry...

"Captain was sober today!"

Stephen

Archived